DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about the Member's Map for our Non-US members…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
Whenever I welcome a New Member to our Forum, I always include a Link to our Member's Map.

When I look at the Member's Map, it always comes with my location (Virginia, USA) centered. I'm curious it all the maps come up this way, no matter your location, or if it comes up with your location centered?

members map.png

Does the Map come with Australia for our Aussie Members, the UK for our Brit Members, etc…

Just a few responses from the various non-North American hemispheres would satisfy my curiosity…

Inquiring minds want to know…

Never new there was a members map on this forum. Have seen them on some of the others but never came across one here. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: LoudThunder
If you allow the site Mavicpilots.com to know your location the map will be centered at your location...

OK so I found it and I guess I must have known about it before as I already had a pin dropped. Funny though when I opened the map it asked to use my location so I said yes. Not sure if that put the pin on the map or I did it a long time ago. noidea (1).gif

Another note, you can drag the pin to another location if you want a little privacy from your actual home or a more accurate location if desired.

Guess that is what happened for me but its only 45 miles off so close but still a long ways off. LOL
And you manage the site location settings here if using Chrome --> chrome://settings/content/location

Greetings from Ensenada, Baja California Mexico.

When I open the member map, and allow my location to be "seen" when prompted, the map centers over a very large are that includes where I am. Zooming in, there is no red pin marking my location. Should there be?

If you allow the site Mavicpilots.com to know your location the map will be centered at your location...
Guess that is what happened for me but its only 45 miles off so close but still a long ways off. LOL
Zooming in, there is no red pin marking my location. Should there be?

I want to apologize, "I am sorry," I wrote a posting like the type I dislike, without all the backstory.

I had been thinking about asking about the Member's Map, but I forgot some members may not know about this feature and in the past, some members have said they could not see the map after clicking on the links.

So, belatedly, here is the information I should have included…

The Member's Map is a Google map of the Earth. Inside the map you can click on and scroll right into a street view… Wa-Hoo… When you joined, you probably input your location, some were very specific right down to their street address, and others only put in their country. I saw one member who listed Earth… I put in my county, state, and country (York County, VA, USA).

The map tries to find that location and dumps your Pin there… If you were paying attention at the time, you would have seen where the map software thought you were…

If you can find your pin by scrolling over the various pins, the member's user name appears. If you find your pin and you wish to move it closer to your actual location or move it a bit away for privacy reasons, just click on your pin and drag it to your preferred location…

The Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…"

Here is the Link to the Map…

Now, two things have to be set up for you to see the Member's Map. The Map needs to know your location and that is set up in your Browser and the other thing is you have to have your location enabled in your MavicPilot Account…

First off, if the Member's Map appeared then ignore the following instructions as your Browser is set up to show your location… If not, then if you are using Google Chrome; Open Chrome; Click the three dots on the top right of the screen; click Settings, On the Left Side of the screen, Click Privacy and Security; Click Site Settings; Scroll Down to Permissions - Location, Click/Select Sites can ask for your location… If you are using a different Browser, you will need to google the instructions to allow your location to show in your Browser.

So, assuming that the Map came up, you still have to enable the MavicPilot Web Site to show your location, and that is set in your member's account. Click your Icon on the Upper Right of the Screen, Click on Preferences, The next window shows all your preferences, make sure you DID NOT Click on "Opt Out of the Member's Map" DO not click or Check this box unless you do not want your pin to show. To repeat, leave it BLANK if you want your location pin to show…

You should now be able to see the Member's Map and your location and the locations of numerous other Mavic Pilot members in your area. Perhaps you can PM them and maybe find a new flying buddy.

I cannot see myself in the Member Map.

In "Account Details" I correctly have my city, state, and country in the "Location" field.
In "Preferences" I have not checked the "Opt out of the Member Map" option.
My brower allows location access to mavicpilots.com
I have tried viewing the Member Map in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and Safari. None show me in the "Member Map".

What am I missing?

What am I missing?
Actually, not to be a smart aleck, but you are missing the Map…

As for Google, Check for the latest Updates…

Click the Three Dots, Click on "Help," Click on "About Google Chrome" and Chrome should immediately check for the latest Updates and it may require Re-Starting…

I use Google Chrome as my browser and when I go to Google Maps, the second attached graphic is the way Google Maps displays my location with an upside down Blue Teardrop or "Pin…"

mine.png

Attached you will see the way I've set up my Mavic Pilot account…

Preferences.png

Now a bit deeper into the Chrome Settings…

Three Dots, Settings, Privacy and Security, Site Settings, Location, Click the Right Arrow…, Check that the Button for "Sites Can Ask for Your Location," Scroll down to "Allowed to See to See Your Location" and continue scrolling to the listing for MavicPilots, Click the Right Arrow, ensure "Location" is set to "Allow"

As for the other Browsers, I cannot offer any advice…

Good Luck!

Actually, not to be a smart aleck, but you are missing the Map…

As for Google, Check for the latest Updates…

Click the Three Dots, Click on "Help," Click on "About Google Chrome" and Chrome should immediately check for the latest Updates and it may require Re-Starting…

I use Google Chrome as my browser and when I go to Google Maps, the second attached graphic is the way Google Maps displays my location with an upside down Blue Teardrop or "Pin…"

View attachment 156556

Attached you will see the way I've set up my Mavic Pilot account…

View attachment 156557

Now a bit deeper into the Chrome Settings…

Three Dots, Settings, Privacy and Security, Site Settings, Location, Click the Right Arrow…, Check that the Button for "Sites Can Ask for Your Location," Scroll down to "Allowed to See to See Your Location" and continue scrolling to the listing for MavicPilots, Click the Right Arrow, ensure "Location" is set to "Allow"

As for the other Browsers, I cannot offer any advice…

Good Luck!
When I view the Member Map page, I do see the map. I also see the pins showing other member locations. I just don't see a pin for my location.

My preferences are configured exactly the same way that you show.

All of the browsers I mentioned are the latest versions.

There must be some other subtle setting needed for this to work.

When I view the Member Map page, I do see the map. I also see the pins showing other member locations. I just don't see a pin for my location.

My preferences are configured exactly the same way that you show.

All of the browsers I mentioned are the latest versions.

There must be some other subtle setting needed for this to work.

Hey DJ Wes, I found you...in South Dakota. :D

Screenshot_20221102-194425.png

Grab the pin and move it where you'd like.

My pin gets moved around by itself in my county. I drag it somewhere and a couple of weeks later, it'll move again.

It's like playing hide and seek by yourself. 🙂

Reactions: DJ Wes
MA2 317, how did you do that, how did you find this lonely little pin? It was over 700 miles away…

After careful consideration, I can come up with only three possibilities…

1. You are the Luckiest Person on the planet and with so much luck,
you should buy a Lottery Ticket in this week's Billion Dollar Lottery…

2. You are most bored person in the world and must have spent many,
many hours aimlessly tapping each and every of hundreds of member's
pins until you struck gold…

3. Or, you know the secret to finding a member's pin when it goes astray…

If you know how to locate a misplaced Member's Pin, please publish the procedure. Since I always include the Member's Map Link in every New Member's Welcome Note, I often receive postings asking how to find a missing pin and I can only offer a "hunt and peck" trial and error, tapping each nearby pin looking for a Member's Pin.

If you do know how to find a wayward Member's Pin, please publish the How-To in a new topic.

...must have spent many,
many hours aimlessly tapping...

Took me about ten minutes while watching YouTube stuff.

. Or, you know the secret to finding a member's pin when it goes astray…

A big computer monitor along with a search and rescue grid mentality.

No clicking of the mouse, just hover over the pin and a pop up will appear, then move on to the next.

So, on behalf of all lost Pins everywhere, we thank you! But do not be surprised now if folks start sending you maps asking you to conjure up the location of their lost drone...

• Haha
Reactions: MA2 317
Wow! I’m amazed at how you found my pin. I am in South Dakota right now around 50 miles from that pin. This suggests that the Members Map uses your current location instead of the location specified in your profile. It is still unclear why I could not find my pin when I was in Arkansas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22