DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question as I prepare for my first flight incase something goes wrong?

kewadiak

Reactions
Hello I am new to owning a DJI drone. My question is how to set up the mavic incase it gets lost or fly's away on its own. Does it automatically save flight information incase this happens so DJI can investigate the cause. Sorry if this is a dumb question just trying to get a better understanding? Is it always a good idea to have the app setup to cache a copy of the video on your device?

Reactions: SeaFox
Does it automatically save flight information incase this happens so DJI can investigate the cause
Yes. A flight log is stored on both your mobile device and the Mavic's internal memory card.

Is it always a good idea to have the app setup to cache a copy of the video on your device?
For warranty dispute purposes? I don't think it would be helpful in most cases. The log usually contains enough information to figure out whether or not the incident will be covered under warranty.

If you loose conection to your drone it is designed to return to you home point ... just make sure you allow the drone time to record your home point before you take off and i always take off vertically to 10 meters slowly this helps the precision landing system to record the data it needs to land in the exac t spot you took off from ..

Yes record video to you mobile as this can help if you do have any issues as well as the flight log file that is saved.

Thank you makes sense. Now is the flight log always on or do you have to activate it each flight or log in before each flight somewhere?

Now is the flight log always on or do you have to activate it each flight or log in before each flight somewhere?
The logs are created automatically.

As many have learned the hard way, ensure your RTH height is set above the highest obstacle that could be in it's path.

Also recommending reading the manual again to make sure you know what happens in RTH and the difference circumstances that are involved with distance to home, etc.

Hello I am new to owning a DJI drone. My question is how to set up the mavic incase it gets lost or fly's away on its own. Does it automatically save flight information incase this happens so DJI can investigate the cause. Sorry if this is a dumb question just trying to get a better understanding? Is it always a good idea to have the app setup to cache a copy of the video on your device?

No dumb questions, all are valid, better to ask and get experienced feedback.

Important thing is make sure you know how RTH works, a couple of pilots have come to grief by not setting the return height high enough, in theory it will not bump into things if the Object Avoidance is enabled, it should amend to clear the obstacle. Remember it will not climb above the maximum altitude set in the APP, so if it encounters an object and it hits the altitude ceiling it will just hover until the battery reaches critical then it will land.

I say in theory, as it can be 'fooled' by flying into a low sun & if the object it encounters has low contrast so its not perfect! Oh and if you switch modes during a RTH it stops what it was doing until you ask it to do something else.

It really will seem a like a big worry over nothing after the first couple of flights.
Phantoms were easy but the Mavic is even more stable and simple to operate.

Beforehand - watch some of the youtube quick start videos,
Update firmware if it asks.
Choose your first flight spot wisely - a tight garden or yard with things to hit is challenging even when you are getting good at it.
Do the compass calibration also in a good open space for the first flight.
Make sure you are familiar with how to descend and stop motors before taking off!
Manual way is hold left stick down for about five seconds.

Keep pets and children out of the equation - minimise distractions.

In regards to RTH in the advance setting under visual navigation settings, you can enable RTH obstacle avoidance or obstacle check. When this is enabled, during RTH, the Mavic will automatically ascend to avoid an obstacle detected by its vision sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000