DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for anyone flying in HI

iajetpilot

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm planning to visit some friends that live on Oahu. I'm hoping to have my license by then so I can take advantage of flying in the class G airspace without calls to every little uncontrolled airfield etc...

Are then any Hawaii specific rules I should be aware of? I appreciate the help. Not sure exactly when I'm coming over yet but hoping it will be sometime in April.

Thanks!

Aloha,
I'm a long-time pilot and a new drone pilot, flying a Mavic here in O'ahu since February. I'm only familiar with the recreational rules. The entire island of O'ahu is governed by the City and County (C&C) of Honolulu.
FAA: you have 5 airports and 9 heliports on O'ahu. You have Class B airspace around HNL. You have an extensive restricted area in the upper-left quadrant (R-3109, R-3110).
Military: You have active military bases which forbid drone operations on or over the bases (Pearl Harbor/HIckam, MCBH, Wheeler, Tripler, Bellows, others?).
National Parks: drone operations banned.
State Parks Beaches and Monuments: drone operations banned.
C&C: drone operations only permitted in some beaches/parks.
Take a look at Local Drone Regulation
I'm working on putting together a Google Earth .kmz file to show all of this, but it's not completely finished.
-John

LOL, I guess I should have asked where can I fly it. Thanks for all the good info jwblair. If you do make that google earth file I'd love to take a look at it.

Thanks!

Here's the Google Earth .kmz file. Please note:
1. The information is not guaranteed to be correct or complete (see Disclaimer)
2. The military base boundaries are total guesses
3. It may be missing some military areas
4. It was designed to run on Google Earth for Windows. It runs in limited form on Android. I have no idea if it works on Apple.
Enjoy.

*Ignore this attached file. See the more recent version in the message below.*

Attachments

• Recreational Drone Restrictions on Oahu.zip
    24.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks so much for that great info. Really looking forward to coming over. I really miss it over there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929