DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for those flying a few years

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Ok i've been flying a few months now. Captured everything of interest in my locality. Seems I'm having to travel farther and farther out to find something interesting to film , and to keep me interested in doing so. So question is , how do ye guys keep it fresh , without spending hours in the car ?

I'm hoping to find a club to find buddies to drive to interesting locations together.

As with many hobbies, I imagine that a social aspect will keep it interesting. We are social animals afterall.

For example, I played Pokemon Go a few years ago. The game itself got stale pretty quickly after the hype, even with my childhood nostalgia. But once I made a few friends through the game, it was fun to go on road trips and even foreign trips together. The game itself almost became secondary to the social aspect.

for me just being able to get out and fly my drones is the biggest thrill for me ,and even under the local lockdown rules that have just been placed on our area again ,there are still plenty of places to fly locally ,i understand what you are saying about having filmed all your local spots of interest ,but that is the same for all of us, travel is one aspect of drone ownership that is not always thought of when a drone is purchased ,but if you live in a large city then you really dont have any other option but to travel to fly

Ok i've been flying a few months now. Captured everything of interest in my locality. Seems I'm having to travel farther and farther out to find something interesting to film , and to keep me interested in doing so. So question is , how do ye guys keep it fresh , without spending hours in the car ?
Capturing is the first aspect, what you do with it after the fact is where it can get interesting. If your just a fly and film guy, try learning how to give some artistic output to your captures by learning a good editing program and give your artistic juices a flow. :) Trust me for every 20 minutes of capture you can literally spend hours editing and post production..it will expand your horizons and time, it's like a additional hobby ;)

You can also stay local and film not only POI's, but also different events or activities, couple that with editing and I am sure your time and interests can be expanded without leaving the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Don't forget different days give different lighting.
Different seasons give a completely different picture.
You can often do better than last time.
The best part is the flying ;)

I was thinking the same thing!

Also, I've had a few folks ask me if I'd be willing to take photos of their house/development/favorite part of town. I do it for free since I'm just goofing around but it is nice to have a specific subject sometimes.

mikeg

Perfect thread! I'm feeling a little dry on inspiration as well. I think where I get hung up is in the feeling that I need to do something with the videos and pictures after I'm done producing them. There's not much that can be done with them. I can put them on facebook and try to compete with the elections, not. I do enjoy posting them here but that is just for critique. Somehow I will have to accept doing them just to do them and get better at them.

Interesting how with the internet all art has become "boring" from a constant barrage of multimedia.

If I recall correctly, couple years back, someone posted a video. It was the exact same flight from the exact same takeoff point to the exact same waypoints, with the exact same objective, at the exact same daily time!

Try that with, perhaps, Litchi. You could literally fly each and every day. Although it would be the same mission, the footage will differ each and every day.

Once each day
Once each week
Once each month

or spend a day at intervals.

Be sure to keep the TakeOff exact same place and orientation.

Or . . . . . Go flying with a friend and play cat and mouse with each other. Use each other as a POI and fly circles, share videos.

Make an informative video of a drone flight project. TO/L, hover, stick adjustment, anything! Concentrate on one subject only per day. Then after 1 or 2 weeks . . . Make your compilation/Instructional video.

Do a sex video of animals, in the wild performing mating habits, such as beavers, deer, elk, snails . . .

Do a follow me on your favorite trail.

You could film the footbridge at Cork cornmarket - think it's called the Shannon Bridge ? I cast the ,'L' shaped walkway supports here in Sheffield., but have never seen the actual Bridge.

I’ve been in this hobby for over 30 years I guess for me it’s just a love a flying and with F TV now really feels like you’re flying I never get tired of it
Just went for a morning fly in the backyard myself. Nothing new to see but I did hit record. I may or may not review the file. Just felt good with a cup of coffee and a vape to be in the air. Great way to wake up.

In a way it's like a camera in that the best camera is the one you have with you. With my drone..I just take it along...Maybe I'll use it and maybe I won't but if I do I'll video everything and always take a quick look and probably delete 95% I file the rest for that long awaited masterpiece..
A lot of the motivation in flying anything is just staying current and trying to improve your skills and that can never get old.

I don’t know how good you are but keep working on techniques example work on doing manual poi then when you’re good at that Work on ascending orbits and descending orbits while tilting the gimbal to keep the subject in frame I spent months with doing that and I never got boredLike other commenters you can keep working on and on with editing that is a never ending education in itself

I re-capture the same path at different times of the year then edit them together. Also, join a local drone "meet-up" group. Other locals have great experiences you can capture with your own twists.

I practically never run out of material for photography. In addition to extensive travel, I have virtually covered every part of my local geographic environment. I have broadened my photographic options by mixing many forms of still photography, and video with my drone photography and I use these various multi-media forms for my video shows. Examples: (1) I have spent 5 years learning and perfecting TIMELAPSE photography. At first I did timelapse with only a tripod. Then I branched out by purchasing a motion slider. (2) Osmo or Go Pro video camera. These amazing cameras can do regular video, timelapse, slow motion, hyperlapse, and other things. (3) iPhone video. Purchase one of the better Apple iPhones (I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max). It has 4K video, timelapse, slow motion, rfegfular images. (4) Osmo Pocket (5) Hyperlapse photography. (6) ASTRO-photography.

Each of these topics or cameras can provide for hours and hours of fun shooting. Then, take the time to really learn a video editing program. I assure you, there will never be enough time.
In the US, even with Covid-19, I think flying is relatively safe. I flew two flights in each direction to our summer trip in Montana. You can jump on a plane for a long week-end to places nearby in your state, or anywhere else. For examples of some of my most recent multi-media videos I would refer you to my last 4 videos on Vimeo. Here you will view examples of multi-media videos taken with all of the above tools.

As a little boy, I once told my mom I was bored. She told me, a bored person is a boring person. Teach yourself. Try to learn astrophotography, learn video editing, use different video sources, learn to fly with some of the automated flight modes....

I practically never run out of material for photography. In addition to extensive travel, I have virtually covered every part of my local geographic environment. I have broadened my photographic options by mixing many forms of still photography, and video with my drone photography and I use these various multi-media forms for my video shows. Examples: (1) I have spent 5 years learning and perfecting TIMELAPSE photography. At first I did timelapse with only a tripod. Then I branched out by purchasing a motion slider. (2) Osmo or Go Pro video camera. These amazing cameras can do regular video, timelapse, slow motion, hyperlapse, and other things. (3) iPhone video. Purchase one of the better Apple iPhones (I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max). It has 4K video, timelapse, slow motion, rfegfular images. (4) Osmo Pocket (5) Hyperlapse photography. (6) ASTRO-photography.

Each of these topics or cameras can provide for hours and hours of fun shooting. Then, take the time to really learn a video editing program. I assure you, there will never be enough time.
In the US, even with Covid-19, I think flying is relatively safe. I flew two flights in each direction to our summer trip in Montana. You can jump on a plane for a long week-end to places nearby in your state, or anywhere else. For examples of some of my most recent multi-media videos I would refer you to my last 4 videos on Vimeo. Here you will view examples of multi-media videos taken with all of the above tools.

As a little boy, I once told my mom I was bored. She told me, a bored person is a boring person. Teach yourself. Try to learn astrophotography, learn video editing, use different video sources, learn to fly with some of the automated flight modes....
I get the different photography types aspect , Ive been doing a lot with my DSLR over the years , It s finding interesting subject matter locally is the issue .

I get the different photography types aspect , Ive been doing a lot with my DSLR over the years , It s finding interesting subject matter locally is the issue .
I Google-mapped Cork, Ireland and I see that you are located only 30 km from the coast at Rennies. Lots of places around the city that look interesting. Several lakes seen. Have you tried out the country sides- flying over crops, live stock, etc.? Your proximity to the coastal towns would provide lots of opportunities.

Unfortunately, there is no other way than to travel - sometimes hours in the car, but that’s the way it’s always been with any kind of photography other than portraits. At some point, you’ve likely taken everything in every angle and light near you and it becomes boring. So you have to travel - but that’s the fun of it.

One of the main motivators for me is being able to mix the drone with either walking or cycling, they work well together since it gives me an incentive to get out for a walk or cycle even if at times I ultimately can't use the drone. At times I feel like I'm going through the motion a bit with the drone but don't mind if I'm getting a walk or cycle out of it however I'm surprised how often I end up liking the shots even if I've taken pictures from the same positions several times before. Even in the same season the lighting and weather can be quite different and there is of course a striking distance between seasons.

In terms of what to do with the pictures afterwards when I wasn't working from home I really like cropping the 180 degree panoramas to 3440x1440 for my work monitor, it was good inspiration for looking forward to days off. My home monitor isn't quite as good but I still like seeing the pictures as the desktop randomly changes between them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60