DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on any tips to get DJI fly app on my Samsung Galaxy A02s

Hermey

Reactions
I was able to get the DJI Fly app easily onto my Iphone, but can't get it on the Android phone. I have a Galaxy A02s. I contacted DJI for tech help and was told that it's not possible to get the DJI Fly app onto any Android phone other than those mentioned on the DJI site, which include the Galaxy 21, 20 and 10. However I did read on a thread on a YT channel, that someone with an Android phone not on this list, was able to get the DJI Fly app on, using an old version of it. But whenever I try that ( I did try using an app called APK installer to down load an old version of the Fly app) it didn't work and I got the result "app did not install".

Anyone have any suggestions?
Or do I just need to upgrade to another Android phone?

I have a cheap phone that can't install the Fly app, but Litchi works great on it. It adds a new dimension to the Mini 2's capabilities. It costs very little for what you get, and it hasn't crashed once, unlike the Fly app. Drone Harmony might also work on it, and it is free, but I haven't used it yet.

When I first found that my cheap phone wouldn't install the Fly app, and before Litchi could work with the Mini 2, I bought a secondhand phone that was on the DJI approved list for $50. So that's also an option.

Reactions: eva2000
Thanks so much! I just downloaded Drone Harmony. I will try using this next time I fly. If not, I will try Litchi also. It's great that there are solutions other than having to get a new phone, which I was hoping I didn't have to do as this phone is very new and I only got it 2 months ago.

The Samsung Galaxy AO2s phone uses an Octa-core 1.8 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU, but it's a 32-bit processor. It will not run DJI Fly App, check the spects…

Also review the other phones listed on the web page linked below, many of these also have not been tested by DJI, but they have been proven to work…

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

Reactions: Hermey
LoudThunder is bangon. Must be a 64-bit processor and min 2g ram. I experienced the same issue. Bought the M2 and couldn't install the app on my cell. So shopped for another option. Bought a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, no problems running the DJI Fly app which I had to download directly from the DJI site. The tablet doesn't have a sim card for LAN connection so I do all updates at home using Wifi. I can always connect to my phone using it as a 'hotspot' in the field if need be.

LoudThunder is bangon.

RotorFreak, thank you for the Compliment. And thank you for adding more specifics. I should have added the other specifications required to run the DJI Fly App. Unfortunately, those specifications alone do not spell success, especially for Android devices. I have no experience with IOS so anything I write here is strictly for the Android user. Even if your device meets the required specifications: Android 6 or better and a 64-bit processor. As for the minimum Ram or 2MB and the minimum Free Storage, I cannot say.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet, 3MB Ram with 32 GB storage and it runs great. But even if your device will run the Fly App, the question is: Will it run it well. If you are using a low-end device, the App may run really slow.

Also, even if the device meets or even exceeds the requirements, the device's manufacturer may have tweaked the Android version just a bit to give the device a "special" capability which might make it incompatible with the Fly App.

The following YouTube Video, is old and it was made for the DJI GO4 App, will explain the difficulties many flyers have with Android devices. So it will explain why some devices work and some device barely work and finally why some devices do not work at all…

Good Luck…

Last edited:
Reactions: eva2000
LT, I totally agree with you and have seen the video from Drone Valley, among others, when I was trying to figure out what the issue was. So far, I consider myself fortunate using the DJI Fly app, no problems whatsoever. My intent is to do future flights using Dronelink. I'll still be watching for a new DJI Smart Controller with an integrated monitor. Good discussion. Thanks LT.

I was able to get the DJI Fly app easily onto my Iphone, but can't get it on the Android phone. I have a Galaxy A02s. I contacted DJI for tech help and was told that it's not possible to get the DJI Fly app onto any Android phone other than those mentioned on the DJI site, which include the Galaxy 21, 20 and 10. However I did read on a thread on a YT channel, that someone with an Android phone not on this list, was able to get the DJI Fly app on, using an old version of it. But whenever I try that ( I did try using an app called APK installer to down load an old version of the Fly app) it didn't work and I got the result "app did not install".

Anyone have any suggestions?
Or do I just need to upgrade to another Android phone?
I have just one question: Does your phone have a 64bit processor? If not you are probably out of luck. 64bit seems to be the key, but I've never seen that information in these lists of phone or tablet data. A friend had to clue me in to my Galaxy Tab A7 Lite having a CPU with 64bit. I'm guessing my Samsung S7 phone has one as well. It runs both DJI Fly and DJI Mimo just fine.

Reactions: Rotorfreak
DJI talk nonsense, there's a plethora of devices that can run DJI FLY that are not on their approved list. As long as minimum specs are reached. The main one being a 64 bit device.
Even then the requirement for a device with decent hardware is simply because of the on device recording that DJI FLY does.
Turn this off and 64 bit devices with less grunt should be fine.
Litchi does not do on device recording, so runs better on lower powered devices and will install on either 32bit or 64bit devices.
Other choices are as mentioned and Rainbow, which has a 3 time trial.
I use Litchi exclusively as it's just better imo.

No need to go out and buy a 64bit device just because DJI cannot be bothered to create a 32bit compatible app.

Reactions: eva2000 and Jam0ne
I ended up getting a different Samsung phone. Once I did, I realized I'd had other problems on the Galaxy A02 phone, which I thought were just Samsung issues, but actually were attributable to having a less expensive phone. Now I have overall improvement with a Galaxy S22 phone.

I'd had other problems on the Galaxy A02 phone

I ended up getting a different Samsung phone. Once I did, I realized I'd had other problems on the Galaxy A02 phone,

Like I wrote earlier, the AO2 has a 32 bit processor and will not run the DJI Fly App. Not only that, it does not have Magnetometer, so it will not run a Compass App either. I use mine for WiFi only, running a bunch of games and more often than not I use it almost every night, running the Roku app for my Roku player on my TV and link my blue tooth ear buds for private viewing when the wife does not want to hear Booms and Explosions from the various movies.

Also I wrote, I use two different Galaxy Tablets, the S2 and A8. The S2 (8" screen) has a brighter screen and it's lighter than the A8 (10" screen), but the A8 can record the screen image as a video with it's internal apps, but it weighs over a pound…

Like I wrote earlier, the AO2 has a 32 bit processor and will not run the DJI Fly App. Not only that, it does not have Magnetometer, so it will not run a Compass App either. I use mine for WiFi only, running a bunch of games and more often than not I use it almost every night, running the Roku app for my Roku player on my TV and link my blue tooth ear buds for private viewing when the wife does not want to hear Booms and Explosions from the various movies.

Also I wrote, I use two different Galaxy Tablets, the S2 and A8. The S2 (8" screen) has a brighter screen and it's lighter than the A8 (10" screen), but the A8 can record the screen image as a video with it's internal apps, but it weighs over a pound…
That's one hell of a corner to cut, especially given that a lot of us use phones with maps and such, which to some extent should at least tell us which direction we're facing.

Reactions: LoudThunder
That's one hell of a corner to cut, especially given that a lot of us use phones with maps and such, which to some extent should at least tell us which direction we're facing.

I absolutely agree but I really cannot complain. My cell phone service is through Tracfone. A One-Year service card (365 days of service, 1,500 minutes of talk, 1,500 text messages, and 1.5 GB Data) cost about $120. QVC and HSN both offer various Tracfone Specials. The Specials includes a Tracfone Smartphone (Various Makes and Models at various times…) and a One-Year of Service with the aforementioned items for $49 to $59 total price (free shipping…).

About 6-months ago, their Special was the Galaxy AO2s with a One-Year Service Contract for $59.00. I bought two (one for me and one for the wife).

We've been using the Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro and the LG L322DL Journey (both QVC and HSN specials from years past) as both have all the necessary hardware (sensors) that I want (demand) in a smart phone: an Accelerometer (for Orientation and Positioning), a Gyroscope (to Measure and Maintain Orientation and Angular Velocity), and a Magnetometer Sensor (to establish its Compass Orientation), so I can run a Compass App for hiking (especially in heavily treed forest…

The J7 Sky Pro and the LG Journey both have only 16 GB of storage and it limits the various maps I down load so I'm not burning up the limited Data running live updates.

I had high hopes for the AO2s because it had a faster processor and 32 GB Storage, but as you know, it does not have a Magnetometer Sensor. Since we did not activate them, we added the Service Card to our other phones.

So now, my wife's AO2s is sitting in a kitchen draw in the event of an emergency and mine is sitting next to the TV remote. I use it for WiFi only and run the Roku App so I have an actual typeable keyboard for searches and I get Blue Tooth connectivity to the Roku for my earbuds…

Over the years, many of the sub-standard QVC/HSN Tracfones have found their way to our grandkids…

Over the years, many of the sub-standard QVC/HSN Tracfones have found their way to our grandkids…
Some of the discontinued or now "on the way out" models with enough tech savvy ness can be unlocked to other carriers or custom versions of the ROM. So it's not necessarily a bad thing to be handing them down, maybe one of them is a bit tech savvy.

Thanks for the information, very informative. However, I was wondering where you hold the Galaxy S2 or A8 while flying. I can just barely fit my Note 20 plus in the holding slot at the top of the controller.
Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the information and thanks for your service. I did 20.
How do you hold the tabs while flying? My note 20 plus just barely fits.

Thanks for the information, very informative. However, I was wondering where you hold the Galaxy S2 or A8 while flying. I can just barely fit my Note 20 plus in the holding slot at the top of the controller.
Thanks for your time.
You get a tablet holder for larger phones and tablets.

Kind of like how I had an iPad pro 12.9" mounted (before I switched to a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 8" using the same Mount)

qvgzrob.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada