DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on FAA Airspaces for Part107

Luvs2Fly

Reactions
Hi all! I know this has probably been asked here before but wanted to ask for some clarification as I feel
I still don't understand the FAA Airspaces as it relates to altitude (AGL or MSL). I have the FAA airspace diagram but not
really sure if I am interpreting it correctly...

So for those who have mastered Part107 and who are experienced pilots or instructiors can you please help
me out with understanding the altitude?

Class A: from 18,000 MSL and up
Class B: from ground to 18,000 MSL
Class C: ??
Class D: 1200 AGL
Class E: ??
Class G: everywhere else from ground to 14,500 MSL ?

Thanks in advance!

L2F

While I'm not a master and have only passed the test days ago and still have room to be corrected perhaps I can help (or get straightened out myself).

Class C is SFC to 4000' AGL at center extending to a 5NM radius. At 5NM, extending to 10NM Class C starts at 1200' continuing to 4000'. Class D is generally from the SFC to 2500' AGL. Class E is everywhere else, except where Class G exists.

When reading a sectional map the one thing to know that is very helpful is that AGL is (always, I think) shown in parentheses, while all other altitude markings are in MSL.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you my Word study notes that I compiled which helped me review.

Class B is not surface to 18k MSL. It's typically an upside down wedding cake with different layers. The lower boundaries can either be from the surface or substantial higher than that.

Blog-Scene-AirspaceDepiction.jpg

While I'm not a master and have only passed the test days ago and still have room to be corrected perhaps I can help (or get straightened out myself).

Class C is SFC to 4000' AGL at center extending to a 5NM radius. At 5NM, extending to 10NM Class C starts at 1200' continuing to 4000'. Class D is generally from the SFC to 2500' AGL. Class E is everywhere else, except where Class G exists.

When reading a sectional map the one thing to know that is very helpful is that AGL is (always, I think) shown in parentheses, while all other altitude markings are in MSL.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you my Word study notes that I compiled which helped me review.
Thanks for the offer, I will PM you my email for the study notes. Appreciate it! Regards.

Class B is not surface to 18k MSL. It's typically an upside down wedding cake with different layers. The lower boundaries can either be from the surface or substantial higher than that.

View attachment 114513
This is a very helpful graphic, thank you! I figured out the Class A should be from 18,000 to 60,000 feet which is used by commercial jets to travel to/from international airports etc. But this is a nice graphic. Thanks!

Congratulations!
1601991429333.jpeg

Thank you. You were a bit part of it, particuarly pointing out how to know when MSL or AGL is referenced on a sectional. I couldn't believe how many fixed-wing specific questions they threw at me. Also *SIX* TAF charts, which fortunately is something I identified as a weakness and studied up on. There were a also a few questions where the answers were specific to the FAA study guide. I know I missed several of those which, in addition to entering landing pattern, loading patterns and CG and missing at least one weather question still got me a respectable, but not great score. But hey... it's a pass/fail test. I hope to have my temporary certificate some time this week.

Thank you. You were a bit part of it, particuarly pointing out how to know when MSL or AGL is referenced on a sectional. I couldn't believe how many fixed-wing specific questions they threw at me. Also *SIX* TAF charts, which fortunately is something I identified as a weakness and studied up on. There were a also a few questions where the answers were specific to the FAA study guide. I know I missed several of those which, in addition to entering landing pattern, loading patterns and CG and missing at least one weather question still got me a respectable, but not great score. But hey... it's a pass/fail test. I hope to have my temporary certificate some time this week.
If I remember correctly, you can print the temporary certificate from IACRA.

First off CONGRATS on passing. Well done and by passing I mean you are now enabled to learn more and more!! This is only the beginning. Well done :)

....I couldn't believe how many fixed-wing specific questions they threw at me. Also *SIX* TAF charts, which fortunately is something I identified as a weakness and studied up on. There were a also a few questions where the answers were specific to the FAA study guide. I know I missed several of those which, in addition to entering landing pattern, loading patterns and CG and missing at least one weather question still got me a respectable, but not great score. ....

Your above comments are some of the most common we hear/see. They are much more prominent on "MultiRotor" forums (Mavic, Phantom, Yuneec etc etc). Keep in mind that sUAS/UAS encompass all of our aircraft including Fixed Wing, Helicopters, and of course MultiRotors. Those "Fixed wing" questions come into play for some operations that
we never see/hear about here in Mavic Pilots forum but are very pertinent for some other sectors of our UAS industry.

Part 107 is for a lot more than just MultiRotors and Real Estate photography so the test needs to be broad for the whole industry and not platform specific.

I hope that makes sense.

Do NOT let this be a stop action for learning! Periodically, check the FAA web for updates on everything drone. Take care, and best of luck. You will do great, I've seen your work and you are on your way. Take Care.

R,
Jeffrey

Reactions: BigAl07
Do NOT let this be a stop action for learning! Periodically, check the FAA web for updates on everything drone. Take care, and best of luck. You will do great, I've seen your work and you are on your way. Take Care.

R,
Jeffrey
Me stop learning? You know me better than that. ?

First off CONGRATS on passing. Well done and by passing I mean you are now enabled to learn more and more!! This is only the beginning. Well done :)

Your above comments are some of the most common we hear/see. They are much more prominent on "MultiRotor" forums (Mavic, Phantom, Yuneec etc etc). Keep in mind that sUAS/UAS encompass all of our aircraft including Fixed Wing, Helicopters, and of course MultiRotors. Those "Fixed wing" questions come into play for some operations that
we never see/hear about here in Mavic Pilots forum but are very pertinent for some other sectors of our UAS industry.

Part 107 is for a lot more than just MultiRotors and Real Estate photography so the test needs to be broad for the whole industry and not platform specific.

I hope that makes sense.

I appreciate your reply and understand the broad scope of the test. I feel enriched by having to learn much of it. IN MY CASE, I felt the WEIGHTING of the questions in the aforementioned areas bordered on being an unfair test of my BROAD knowledge. IMO it was too weighted in the wrong areas. I suppose that's a casualty of random questions out of the pool. I'm glad that I over-prepared. With all the prep tutorials I've seen and read I would have to say that 30% of the questions thrown at me were brushed by casually or not touched on at all. I must have taken six practice tests to find the holes in my knowledge and never would have expected three separate questions on airplane loading. Again, I got 6 TAF questions, no METAR questions, and the wording on the other questions was, let's just say "vague" leaving one to have to have virtually memorized the exact quoted definition in the FAA guide. I suppose that I should be happy that sectional reading was, in my case, "under-represented". I think I only got three sectional charts, with one questions asking my which airport was at a certain long/lat. I expected the test to be more heavily weighted with sectionals and air space and ATC authorization. But I guess the thinking is that if you can pass the test with so many of the sophomoric questions they can assume you studied and learned most of it all.

Reactions: Luvs2Fly
I appreciate your reply and understand the broad scope of the test. I feel enriched by having to learn much of it. IN MY CASE, I felt the WEIGHTING of the questions in the aforementioned areas bordered on being an unfair test of my BROAD knowledge. IMO it was too weighted in the wrong areas. I suppose that's a casualty of random questions out of the pool. I'm glad that I over-prepared. With all the prep tutorials I've seen and read I would have to say that 30% of the questions thrown at me were brushed by casually or not touched on at all. I must have taken six practice tests to find the holes in my knowledge and never would have expected three separate questions on airplane loading. Again, I got 6 TAF questions, no METAR questions, and the wording on the other questions was, let's just say "vague" leaving one to have to have virtually memorized the exact quoted definition in the FAA guide. I suppose that I should be happy that sectional reading was, in my case, "under-represented". I think I only got three sectional charts, with one questions asking my which airport was at a certain long/lat. I expected the test to be more heavily weighted with sectionals and air space and ATC authorization. But I guess the thinking is that if you can pass the test with so many of the sophomoric questions they can assume you studied and learned most of it all.
Wow! Thanks for that info. I've been reviewing heavily in the Sectional charts section and airspaces because I thought that is where most of the questions will be asked. Need to review on the weather as well then (Northrup had a good youtube video on METAR and TAF and probably need to re-review it).

Wow! Thanks for that info. I've been reviewing heavily in the Sectional charts section and airspaces because I thought that is where most of the questions will be asked. Need to review on the weather as well then (Northrup had a good youtube video on METAR and TAF and probably need to re-review it).

I would tell you that the best thing you can do to prepare for those questions that you may not be able to figure out through experience is read through the FAA study guide. It seems that the test writers love the SPECIFIC words that they put in the study guide. As an example...

"What do you call it If a remote pilot is showing off?" There are many things you could call it. However, the FAA test writer, in his infinite wisdom decided to use the term "macho"... which, while definitely one of the things that could describe it, isn't the only thing. I think I missed that one on my first practice test, but saw that same question on every practice test I took... and on the real one as well. A millennial woman today might find the answer to that question a bit sexist. Personally I find it, and several questions that have come up in practice tests, pedantic.

Reactions: Luvs2Fly
I would tell you that the best thing you can do to prepare for those questions that you may not be able to figure out through experience is read through the FAA study guide. It seems that the test writers love the SPECIFIC words that they put in the study guide. As an example...

"What do you call it If a remote pilot is showing off?" There are many things you could call it. However, the FAA test writer, in his infinite wisdom decided to use the term "macho"... which, while definitely one of the things that could describe it, isn't the only thing. I think I missed that one on my first practice test, but saw that same question on every practice test I took... and on the real one as well. A millennial woman today might find the answer to that question a bit sexist. Personally I find it, and several questions that have come up in practice tests, pedantic.
Hahahaha, macho I like it :) Thanks for the post :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143