DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on recently approved authorization

bubbaedc

Reactions
Good morning!

I sent in a 107 authorization request a few weeks ago (non LAANC due to air force base) for 2 days later this month at a specific location, max flight of 150 AGL (because red boxes showed 200) well they approved it today but changed some of my parameters, changed it to 400 ft AGL, wide area approval (almost all of my metro city) and changed it from the two days I asked for, to two years total lol.

There are two lines I'm confused about:

c. Contact DMA ATCT 15 minutes prior to the flight and again at completion at 520-228-9702/9715.
d. Any changes to the coordinated schedule require a follow-up phone call. A phone call before and after operations is not required if operations remain within the coordinated schedule.

So do I need to call every time I fly? or only if I'm flying outside the approved area on the map they sent me? this is my first approval and I'm a new 107 holder so want to make sure I don't do something wrong!

thanks!!

...and changed it from the two days I asked for, to two years total lol.
Wait, so you have the approval to fly in that area for two years?!

That's almost ridiculous!!! I think @BigAl07 works at/for the FAA if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am). Maybe he can explain this...
haha yeah I was a little surprised to say the least, and the fact that they changed it to a wide area approval also, I'm not complaining at all! just wanted to make sure if I need to call ATC before and after every flight I will!

haha yeah I was a little surprised to say the least, and the fact that they changed it to a wide area approval also, I'm not complaining at all! just wanted to make sure if I need to call ATC before and after every flight I will!
Maybe we all should submit requests while the FAA is in a good mood 🤔...

Reactions: bubbaedc
Good morning!

I sent in a 107 authorization request a few weeks ago (non LAANC due to air force base) for 2 days later this month at a specific location, max flight of 150 AGL (because red boxes showed 200) well they approved it today but changed some of my parameters, changed it to 400 ft AGL, wide area approval (almost all of my metro city) and changed it from the two days I asked for, to two years total lol.

c. Contact DMA ATCT 15 minutes prior to the flight and again at completion at 520-228-9702/9715.
d. Any changes to the coordinated schedule require a follow-up phone call. A phone call before and after operations is not required if operations remain within the coordinated schedule.

So do I need to call every time I fly? or only if I'm flying outside the approved area on the map they sent me? this is my first approval and I'm a new 107 holder so want to make sure I don't do something wrong!

thanks!!
Yes. This is very standard language for DOD airspace. My DOD 107.41s have this requirement. No biggie.

And yeah, they'll give you the full UASFM for a wide area. It's not all 400', you are still restricted to the UASFM limits. So make sure you check those each time you fly. They are all in the process of changing, so make sure you know how high you can fly.

And 2 years is standard. They're just trying to cut down on paperwork. This way you don't have to ask again if you're called to fly in their airspace again.

Yes. This is very standard language for DOD airspace. My DOD 107.41s have this requirement. No biggie.

And yeah, they'll give you the full UASFM for a wide area. It's not all 400', you are still restricted to the UASFM limits. So make sure you check those each time you fly. They are all in the process of changing, so make sure you know how high you can fly.

And 2 years is standard. They're just trying to cut down on paperwork. This way you don't have to ask again if you're called to fly in their airspace again.
Great clarification even though I'm not the one who asked. lol

Reactions: Vic Moss
That's almost ridiculous!!! I think @BigAl07 works at/for the FAA if I'm not mistaken (which I probably am). Maybe he can explain this...
@BigAl07 doesn't work for the FAA, he is an FAA Safety Team Drone Pro (as am I). That means we have to know all of this stuff, and we help out with education and such under different situations.

Good morning!

thanks!!

I'd call before my first flight, per the approval, and ask the ATC folk you talk to for clarification and if you need to do anything special on following flights.

Awesome! Thanks for breaking it down for us!

Edit, never mind! @eEridani gave me a solution! idk why I didnt think of that lol
So I understand its standard language for it, but do I need to call for each flight or no? Still slightly confused since it says I do then I don't lol

The limits, are they what shows in the boxes? so still limited to 200 in the outer parts and cant fly at all in the 0s? I know I cant fly in the shaded area (on base) or would I have to submit another 107 auth request to fly in an area marked with "0" (this is the map they attached to my approval when they changed to wide area)
1634144660233.png

So I understand its standard language for it, but do I need to call for each flight or no? Still slightly confused since it says I do then I don't lol

The limits, are they what shows in the boxes? so still limited to 200 in the outer parts and cant fly at all in the 0s? I know I cant fly in the shaded area (on base) or would I have to submit another 107 auth request to fly in an area marked with "0" (this is the map they attached to my approval when they changed to wide area)
View attachment 136502
Interesting.

There are no 400' grids. If I were you, I'd reach out to the ATC Manager and ask what the COA means. I think someone screwed up.

@BigAl07 doesn't work for the FAA, he is an FAA Safety Team Drone Pro (as am I). That means we have to know all of this stuff, and we help out with education and such under different situations.
Ok, that makes sense.

Interesting.

There are no 400' grids. If I were you, I'd reach out to the ATC Manager and ask what the COA means. I think someone screwed up.
so I re-read the auth a few more times and this part looks like it explains the altitude I can fly at in a given area, in conjunction with the map:

Operations under this certificate of authorization (COA) are limited to the maximum altitude listed below.
This altitude is an absolute value and it shall not be added to the height of any structures.
Class of Airspace: C
At or Below: Altitudes in accordance with the published UAS Facility Map (UASFM), excluding Special Security Instruction (SSI) Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) areas, and the airspace defined under Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) NOTAM FDC
Under the Jurisdiction of: Davis Monthan Air Force Base Air Traffic Control Tower (DMA ATCT)

There was a similar requirement to call prior to flight on my own 107 waiver. I vistied the manager of the local airport to review my operation and he made it clear he didn't need or want me to call each time. Since my work is seasonal, I send him a courtesy email before each season reminding him of our conversation. The 2-year auth is a huge convenience - if the proposal is safe, why not approve it for a long time.

Edit, never mind! @eEridani gave me a solution! idk why I didnt think of that lol

View attachment 136502
Yes, the limits are what is shown in the boxes. I have a similar authorization for the Luke airspace here around Phoenix. I would call the number on your authorization and have a quick conversation about how often they want to be notified of flights in their airspace, they may say you don't need to call for each flight as long as you're flying at or below the posted grid limit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121