DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question re OA sensors

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
The sensors work really well on my Air2 at lower speeds, even in normal mode. Just for my curiosity, will they work at full speed? I have no inclination to test this with my drone, but I’m sure someone out there has a definitive answer for me. Thanks.

Depends on what you mean by full speed. The manual and online spec sheet have the limits of the OA system, and those specs are the definitive answer.

ps: OA is not available in Sport mode.

Thanks for the information, I had forgotten that it was in the manual. For others that might be interested, the answer is 12 m/s which translates to 26.84 mph. That’s faster than I care to try though. I treat them as a backup safety measure unless I’m just trying them on purpose.

I am not sure if the Air 2 sensors work the same way as the M2 or not but note that DJI uses at least 2 types of sensors.

The side sensors on the Mavic 2, for example, are not stereoscopic, so they do not work in 'real time' like the others do, and they only work in tripod mode, point of interest, circle, helix, boomerang, timelapse and active track. They work by creating a depth map by comparing consecutive images, so they only work with slower consistent/predictable movement.

Just taking a quick look, it seems all the Air 2 sensors are stereoscopic which is nice to see. No DJI drones allow you to use the sensors at maximum speed (sport mode) and one reason for this is because the attitude (pitch) change of the aircraft is too steep to allow the sensors to adequately see what is in front or behind you (they end up pointing too far up or down to do their job).

Reactions: DougMcC
The sensors work really well on my Air2 at lower speeds, even in normal mode. Just for my curiosity, will they work at full speed?
Your drone will limit the speed if you enable OA so that the speed does not exceed the max OA speed.
Turn off OA and your drone will fly faster.

Reactions: DougMcC
I am not sure if the Air 2 sensors work the same way as the M2 or not but note that DJI uses at least 2 types of sensors.

The side sensors on the Mavic 2, for example, are not stereoscopic, so they do not work in 'real time' like the others do, and they only work in tripod mode, point of interest, circle, helix, boomerang, timelapse and active track. They work by creating a depth map by comparing consecutive images, so they only work with slower consistent/predictable movement.

Just taking a quick look, it seems all the Air 2 sensors are stereoscopic which is nice to see. No DJI drones allow you to use the sensors at maximum speed (sport mode) and one reason for this is because the attitude (pitch) change of the aircraft is too steep to allow the sensors to adequately see what is in front or behind you (they end up pointing too far up or down to do their job).
Thanks for that explanation. I was wondering why I didn’t crash my ma2 once while doing a tight circle over a mountain point. It circled and then moved up only feet over the top of the ridge. And of course I could not stop it quickly enough when I saw it approach the ridge and thought going sideways, it would surely crash. Thank you DJI!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake