DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question re travelling with Mavic

Para4265

Reactions
Hi, I'm wondering if you could answer a question for me. I'm in Ireland and going on holiday later this week to the Caribbean and New York. I'm wondering this: how does the Mavic connect to the controller? Does it use the signal from my mobile phone? If it does I'm thinking that if it uses my data I'll be stung with a huge bill when I get home. This is probably a silly question but I'd rather learn the answer now! This is a short clip of Kilkenny Castle I made yesterday on a test flight....I never even had to leave my driveway.

No it does not use cellular data only for checking for updates and downloading updates maybe

If he's using maps, he's using cellular data unless he downloads them ahead of time.

You can purchase a pay-as-you-go data sim from T-Mobile for around $30 for the month. That'll give you 2.5 GB of data.

Hi, I'm wondering if you could answer a question for me. I'm in Ireland and going on holiday later this week to the Caribbean and New York. I'm wondering this: how does the Mavic connect to the controller? Does it use the signal from my mobile phone? If it does I'm thinking that if it uses my data I'll be stung with a huge bill when I get home. This is probably a silly question but I'd rather learn the answer now! This is a short clip of Kilkenny Castle I made yesterday on a test flight....I never even had to leave my driveway.

Hi Para
Just on a side not and I'm not trying to be an *** bnut you've broken several rules there by flying where you did in your video. Kilkenny castle is managed by the OPW and on the website it clearly states: PLEASE NOTE: THE USE OF DRONES IS NOT PERMITTED AT KILKENNY CASTLE. Also you flew directly over an urban area which is also not permitted. These are the types of flights which give drone owners a bad name and creates general hysteria in the press. Judging by your post above you seem new enough to flying and maybe you were not aware of the restrictions.

Drone Regulations & Guidance

Kilkenny Castle

OPW drone ban on heritage sites

Hi Para
Just on a side not and I'm not trying to be an *** bnut you've broken several rules there by flying where you did in your video. Kilkenny castle is managed by the OPW and on the website it clearly states: PLEASE NOTE: THE USE OF DRONES IS NOT PERMITTED AT KILKENNY CASTLE. Also you flew directly over an urban area which is also not permitted. These are the types of flights which give drone owners a bad name and creates general hysteria in the press. Judging by your post above you seem new enough to flying and maybe you were not aware of the restrictions.

Drone Regulations & Guidance

Kilkenny Castle

OPW drone ban on heritage sites

And in addition, he's posted a video of the whole thing in a public place with his name on it.

Don't just assume you can fly somewhere when travelling. Start by assuming you CANT then look at the regulations to see if you can. I work in the Caribbean and the number of idiots that get straight off the plane or boat and chuck a drone up is incredible. They make no effort to check local laws, regulations, proximity to airport and so on.

The cruise ship sheep are possibly the worst, its quite common to see them flying from the public beach right next to the port (or even off ships themselves) both of which are under 1nm from the airport runway and dead on the extended centre line.

So do your research in advance, look at laws, look at maps, look at no fly zones. As a side note, New York, forget it. Can't fly (city anyway not the state).

But no the drone doesn't require a data connection to work. Keep the phone on aeroplane mode.

Reactions: Para4265

A word of advise if you are visiting NYC they have very strict laws when it comes to drone flying

Reactions: Para4265
I just came back from Negril, Jamaica, flew out of JFK with Caribbean Air. You can bring a drone, batteries permitted are two, 1 in drone 1 extra and must be on carry on. I did not bring mine due to a controller failure but asked what the rules were for next time. FAA states batteries must be 100 watt hours or less, Mavic Pro are 48.something. I asked photographers in Negril and they were very upset I didn't have it with me.

Just some info I got two weeks ago.

I carried 5 Mavic batteries, plus a battery bank, plus 5 Fujifilm batteries, plus the internal battery in the RC, plus the internal battery in a GoPro Sessions, plus my cell phone and laptop (all of the preceeding under 100 watt hours) throughout Asia over the last 2 months and had zero issues at airports,

In my experiences so far, the official rules are either unknown by the people at airport security, or they just don't care. Countries this has been the case: Canada, USA, Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines.

I feel adequately chastised.....points taken and noted. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I'm pretty new to the whole drone thing (obviously). [emoji85]

*runs away and hides*

Reactions: Johnie5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stug26