DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question regarding RTH

rockgarden

Reactions
Hey guys first time posting here. So I just started flying my Mavic mini and I’m loving it. Amazing drone. I had an incident this morning I wanted to share. I have a vacation home in the desert and there’s a landing strip here with a run up pad at the very top of the runway. I took off from my driveway and flew remotely all the way to the top of the runway which is about 2500 feet away from my home. I had a good signal. I started landing the drone and when it was in Landing mode just for a touchdown and I’m talking maybe 6 inches or so based on what I was seeing from the camera I lost connection. I assumed that it would initiate a return to home but it did not. It simply landed on the pad which is a 10’ x 10’ concrete pad. It was a perfect landing right in the center as it turns out. But I did have to get in my vehicle and drive up to the very top of the runway to pick the drone up. So correct me if I’m wrong but I’m assuming that because the drone had entered the automatic landing mode when it lost connection it simply went ahead and landed and did not initiate return to home. Had it lost connection before it was in the automatic landing mode I’m assuming it would have decided to return the home. Does that sound right to you guys?

Yes as @THE CYBORG said there is now a newish feature that allows you to choose what happens when the signal is lost. Normal RTH, Hover or Land. It's important to know what you need to happen and set it if the signal is lost. You can change it in flight if you get into a situation that requires a different action. For instance if you are flying under trees and you don't want it rise and RTH and you can re-set it to Land. Or if it is set to Land and you venture over water and now want to change it to RTH.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Yes as @THE CYBORG said there is now a newish feature that allows you to choose what happens when the signal is lost. Normal RTH, Hover or Land. It's important to know what you need to happen and set it if the signal is lost. You can change it in flight if you get into a situation that requires a different action. For instance if you are flying under trees and you don't want it rise and RTH and you can re-set it to Land. Or if it is set to Land and you venture over water and now want to change it to RTH.
Well I did check and I do have RTH selected. The only thing I can think of is that once it’s in its final landing mode below the 1.2 m I guess it will go ahead and land. I must’ve lost signal maybe after it just touchdown I’m just not sure if I will have a chance in the future to try it again.

I recall that a couple of months ago, someone reported that he was trying to force a landing because of high wind, but lost connection and the drone initiated a RTH, which meant going back up to RTH height and into the high wind again -- and now without control to override. The consensus was that that was undesirable behavior; that failsafe RTH should not override a manual landing command. Maybe DJI changed the behavior?

Well I did check and I do have RTH selected. The only thing I can think of is that once it’s in its final landing mode below the 1.2 m I guess it will go ahead and land. I must’ve lost signal maybe after it just touchdown I’m just not sure if I will have a chance in the future to try it again.
Instead of guessing what might have happened, why not look at what the recorded flight shows actually happened?

Well I did check and I do have RTH selected. The only thing I can think of is that once it’s in its final landing mode below the 1.2 m I guess it will go ahead and land.
Interesting.

When landing manually, the Mavic Mini will hesitate and hover at about 0.5m above ground. To force it to land you need to confirm by pulling the throttle stick all the way down, and then it will auto-land. It looks like once it has committed to that landing, a loss-of-signal beyond that point will no longer trigger a Failsafe response.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser