DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC

Rebelvis

Reactions
I will be briefly visiting these 2 cities this spring and would like to fly my Mavic some. I'm particularly interested in the waterfront areas. I see from the FAA maps that there are areas outside the airport NFZ's but would appreciate any tips/warning from locals about where to fly and where to avoid.

Thanks!

Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
I live just outside of Savannah and have flown on River street a few times. I would recommend launching at the east end of river street in the large grassy area. I launched further west and had issue with compass calibration due to all the iron/ metals in the board walk area.

Reactions: Rebelvis
Thanks for the videos. Unfortunately, for my brief visit, I won't be able to get to the island. Are there places near the water front where it's OK to take-off and fly?

Reactions: Golfez
Island of the palms

Attachments

• 5ACCEEC1-7AD7-42A0-8934-F5FED21BBF10.jpeg
    5ACCEEC1-7AD7-42A0-8934-F5FED21BBF10.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 38
I live just outside of Savannah and have flown on River street a few times. I would recommend launching at the east end of river street in the large grassy area. I launched further west and had issue with compass calibration due to all the iron/ metals in the board walk area.

When we go to Savannah, I like to fly from the conference center, next to the Westin, that faces the river. It gives good access to photograph the large ships on the river

Reactions: Rebelvis
Best place to launch downtown is across the river on Hutcheson Island. There’s a boat shuttle landing that is abandoned (I assume- in the year I’ve flown from there I’ve only seen semi trucks parked). It’s an elevated landing and it’s concrete.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't able to fly at Charleston but, did do some brief flying at St. Simons and Savannah. At Savannah I took Golfez's advice and flew down the river and got some nice shots of their fake paddle-wheeler which happened along while I was in flight.

Here's and edited summary:

Reactions: Gindra
Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't able to fly at Charleston but, did do some brief flying at St. Simons and Savannah. At Savannah I took Golfez's advice and flew down the river and got some nice shots of their fake paddle-wheeler which happened along while I was in flight.

Here's and edited summary:
Really nice video! Smooth flying. Cinematic!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929