DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions after few first hours of setting this m2p up...

paulatkin73

Reactions
Hi,

it is an interesting vehicle, compared to what i used to have. I have to admit, it is impressive.

I got stuck with 2 issues. First one - i for the best of me cannot figure out how to setup this drone in the headless mode. Was it removed from it? When i fly it by visual control - it is extremely convenient, as i can yaw it in any way to compose a photo, but still can navigate sticks relative to my current position.
Google comes up with the home lock and course lock features something, home lock i cannot find at all, course lock seems to be something under the hyperlapse - but, i do not want any automatic photos takes - could anybody explain how it is supposed to be setup? ideally i want that on a separate switch, if possible, as i have it set for all my other models - a 'simple' mode or a 'headless' mode - it has diff names but the point is the same.

Second question - the amazing visual object avoidance thing beeps like crazy. How to shut it up? i have to lower phone volume to minimum but it is annoying. Also, in the P mode - it shows side avoidance is disabled, in T mode - enabled. Is it customizable? can i somehow activate object avoidance on all sides in the P mode?
Next, more important thing - in the T mode it seems to free indoors when it senses anything nearby. is object avoidance distance customizable?

third thing - i have a usual old classic remote, and it connects to my phone from a side port now. so, i see radio discharges very fast. i am not used to that. is it because it feeds my phone while operating? Is it better to use a central USB port for connection to the phone instead? it is just confusing - i played with it may be for an hour or 2 and radio went from 100% battery down to 60% or so. dunno, may be i am missing something there but i did not find yet if that can be tuned off.

If all that was already explained i would appreciate a link to something that explains it, will try to read the manual again but it is not there, i am afraid, unless i missed it.

Thx, Paul.

Last edited:
Hi,

it is an interesting vehicle, compared to what i used to have. I have to admit, it is impressive.

I got stuck with 2 issues. First one - i for the best of me cannot figure out how to setup this drone in the headless mode. Was it removed from it? When i fly it by visual control - it is extremely convenient, as i can yaw it in any way to compose a photo, but still can navigate sticks relative to my current position.
Google comes up with the home lock and course lock features something, home lock i cannot find at all, course lock seems to be something under the hyperlapse - but, i do not want any automatic photos takes - could anybody explain how it is supposed to be setup? ideally i want that on a separate switch, if possible, as i have it set for all my other models - a 'simple' mode or a 'headless' mode - it has diff names but the point is the same.

Second question - the amazing visual object avoidance thing beeps like crazy. How to shut it up? i have to lower phone volume to minimum but it is annoying. Also, in the P mode - it shows side avoidance is disabled, in T mode - enabled. Is it customizable? can i somehow activate object avoidance on all sides in the P mode?
Next, more important thing - in the T mode it seems to free indoors when it senses anything nearby. is object avoidance distance customizable?

third thing - i have a usual old classic remote, and it connects to my phone from a side port now. so, i see radio discharges very fast. i am not used to that. is it because it feeds my phone while operating? Is it better to use a central USB port for connection to the phone instead? it is just confusing - i played with it may be for an hour or 2 and radio went from 100% battery down to 60% or so. dunno, may be i am missing something there but i did not find yet if that can be tuned off.

If all that was already explained i would appreciate a link to something that explains it, will try to read the manual again but it is not there, i am afraid, unless i missed it.

Thx, Paul.

I will tackle a few of your questions.

There is NO headless mode. (I asked about it to UNconfuse my dyslexic self when flying back towards me).

From what I recall reading, those LOCK features are also not present in the Mavic 2 series.

I did lower my phone/tablet volume to help with the incessant beeping.

I am not sure of controlling the obstacle sensors.

On Android devices, you can generally not change the charging of the phone/tablet process. It is a feature or deficit of the Android system. I don't think using the side or bottom port changes that. Some folks suggest you should be able to get three drone batteries worth of flight from the Remote controller on one charge. You can also plug a power bank into the SIDE port while using the bottom usb to connect to phone/tab.

frankly, i like this copter. it is nice. nicely made, nothing seems to be looking obviously cheap or not in place, good design that was properly tested on MPP and previous models. the fly more pack that came with a bag everybody complaints about somehow fits my drone just fine, nothing is tight or problematic. dunno, so far i like it, and i am not quite easy to please with any new gizmos.

Last edited:
Headless mode, that's the generic term I was looking for.
Yes, home lock and course lock was omitted from the M2 series. Not often used, but great to have.

As for charging on Android, that might have been a necessity to guarantee the android would accept the connection. Some devices may require some power to activate the USB.

I also have the M2P and really love the thing. Yes, the beeping is annoying, but for me when I am getting close to something, it is a "heads up" to stop and figure out what is the critter is seeing. Sometimes I have learned that I missed seeing something on a approach for a close up picture (I use mine to identify and document equipment on roofs as a part of my work). I would suggest as a possible future upgrade to the programming to have a button presented to us when a warning is made to allow us to silence the warning, BUT ONLY FOR THAT PARTICULAR WARING. Right now I just mind filter the beeping.

Reactions: ff22
Hi,

Thx, Paul.

I think in tripod mode all sensors are active. Once you leave this mode for example sport mode, all sensors are off so be cautious.Page 23 of the manual has this information.

Lateral Vision Systems are only available in ActiveTrack 2.0 and Tripod Mode. Lateral Vision
Systems have limited ability to sense and avoid obstacles, and the performance may be affected
by the surrounding environment. Be sure to maintain line of sight with the aircraft and pay
attention to prompts in DJI GO 4. DJI takes no responsibility for any aircraft that is damaged or
lost while using Lateral Vision Systems.
The Vision System cannot work properly over surfaces that DO NOT have clear pattern
variations. The Vision System is only effective when the aircraft is at an altitude of 0.5 to 50
meters. Please note that the Vision Positioning function may be affected if the aircraft’s altitude
is above 33 ft (11 m).
The Auxiliary Bottom Light is automatically enabled when the environment light is too weak.
Please note that the Vision System cameras performance may be affected when the auxiliary
bottom light is enabled. Fly with caution if the GPS signal is weak.
The Vision System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying over water or snow-
covered areas.
Note that the Vision System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying too fast. Fly with
caution when flying at over 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) at 2 m (6.6 ft) or over 5m/s (16.4 ft) at 1 m (3.3 ft).

Reactions: Tape

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405