DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions on the RTH function when using Active Track.

TLLUT

Reactions
I am a new pilot, the Mavic 2 Pro being my first drone. I bought it for the purpose of being able to shoot high quality adventure sports (skiing, mountain biking, and whitewater rafting) pics and video. I am still learning to trust the all of the automated "obstacle avoidance" features, as well as the Return to Home function. So, a couple of questions. If I am standing on a steep mountain peak and I shoot using Active track and then use the RTH function, what flight path will the drone use to return? Will it ascend straight up to the elevation where it started or does it follow its Active track flight path? I ask because my subjects will be descending several hundred feet in elevation in rugged alpine terrain, and vortexing winds can be an issue. Secondly, how well do the obstacle avoidance sensors work in relation to water when shooting over a river or lake? Would the sensor system override the auto-land function when over water?

I am a new pilot, the Mavic 2 Pro being my first drone. I bought it for the purpose of being able to shoot high quality adventure sports (skiing, mountain biking, and whitewater rafting) pics and video. I am still learning to trust the all of the automated "obstacle avoidance" features, as well as the Return to Home function. So, a couple of questions. If I am standing on a steep mountain peak and I shoot using Active track and then use the RTH function, what flight path will the drone use to return? Will it ascend straight up to the elevation where it started or does it follow its Active track flight path? I ask because my subjects will be descending several hundred feet in elevation in rugged alpine terrain, and vortexing winds can be an issue. Secondly, how well do the obstacle avoidance sensors work in relation to water when shooting over a river or lake? Would the sensor system override the auto-land function when over water?

This is very important. You will set the RTH altitude in the DJI Go app. When return to home to initiated the drone will rise to the altitude you program which will be relative to the take off height.

So if your RTH height is 50 meters let’s say and you take off and follow an object down the mountain your current altitude will be negative since you are below where to took off. On RTH the drone will rise vertically to 50m above your take off location and then fly back in a straight line to the home point.

If it encounters an obstical on the way back it will rise further until the path is clear and then continue on back. The drone can actually sense objects up to 50m away so it will fly well clear of obsticals in its path on RTH.

The sensors are pretty good at seeing solid non moving objects that are large enough. Tricky things can throw it off like power lines so keep in mind.

Water, not being solid is tricky. Never assume it will see the water but it might just don’t count on it. As you will have noticed from the auto-land feature on land it will ask for confirmation before landing or requires a left stick down command for a few seconds so it’s pretty smart.

Never count on the sensors for anything but be happily surprised when they work

Reactions: Turn11 and WAXMAN

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots