DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick question before flight tomorrow...

Robstene Hardy

Reactions
So this is where I live... In a valley up in Saddleworth at the foot of the Pennines... This Pylon view is taken from my front door and as you can see it's on a hill that climbs up ahead of me...
My question is if I fly up to it and above it, how high can i fly once directly above it... Is it another 120 metres? I just want to find out so not to break any rules...

Many thanks :)
20200526_191431.jpg

So this is where I live... In a valley up in Saddleworth at the foot of the Pennines... This Pylon view is taken from my front door and as you can see it's on a hill that climbs up ahead of me...
My question is if I fly up to it and above it, how high can i fly once directly above it... Is it another 120 metres? I just want to find out so not to break any rules...

View attachment 102602
two things ,not a good idea to fly from that position to start with ,reason to many wires around and those power lines can be drone killers, you would be better off going away from them and taking off and flying from up the top of the hill at a good distance from the high voltage grid lines

I agree stay away from the lines. I think you can go 120meters 400feet relative to where you are, not the drone. I'd set my max altitude to 115meters just to be safe.

But yes it seems daft, you can legally fly 120meters up from the peak but at 120 meters back in your direction you'll be flying higher which is breaking the law. I'd just stick with 120 meters height relevant to you. Unless you want higher, then you'll have to trot up that hill!

Hope that helps :) happy flying.

I'm just on the other side of the hill from you, junc 24 of the m sixty poo! Ill keep my eye out for high flyers ;)

Reactions: charliej
CAA regs state 120m/400ft above ground level where ever the drone is in the air max ceiling.

But... as everyone else has said, I’d stay well away from the pylons and interference which will be coming off them.

Reactions: lippyrich
Thanks for the replies. I agree it is annoying as the landscape around me is totally up and down... 120m is literally half that within 40m in places..

But will be keeping safe, thankyou.

Hey, Mattmoo, is there a local drone club you know of around here?

But yes it seems daft, you can legally fly 120meters up from the peak but at 120 meters back in your direction you'll be flying higher which is breaking the law. I'd just stick with 120 meters height relevant to you. Unless you want higher, then you'll have to trot up that hill!

I'snt it to tie in with line of sight, the theory being that at 400ft most birds could/would be hard to spot (cant tell by experience as mine only got the 2ft test flight before she went away).

But... as everyone else has said, I’d stay well away from the pylons and interference which will be coming off them.

Careful some guys in Argentina flew their Mavic's too close to the pylons, it didnt end well.......
1590525476627.png

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
It’s not the pylons you have to worry about. You can get arcing if you fly too close below the wires. So to be honest mate stay well clear imagine your drone is a fly and the pylons/wires are a spiders web...as the old adage goes ...come into my parlour said the spider to the fly..and we all know how that ends..just saying enjoy your days flying but stay clear of them

Reactions: Robstene Hardy

View attachment 102602
Rob just zoomed in on your pic....it’s wire central!!

I agree stay away from the lines. I think you can go 120meters 400feet relative to where you are, not the drone. I'd set my max altitude to 115meters just to be safe.
400ft from pilots altitude of flying IIRC.

Following that reasoning, if you're the person at A you'd be legal but not if you were at B?
i-3NFhcdM-L.jpg

This is brilliant. Thanks so much. I had a feeling this was the case but you never know... And flying around here I wanted to be sure...
Where did you get that graphic from?

Yeh it is wire central but once flown below or above those initial ones it's fine on up to the Pylon...

I think I won't bother though... Kinda been spooked by the replies and my new drone is too nice to risk...

Rob, you are technically on the wrong side of the Pennines but you still have some of the most beautiful countryside....without wires! Why don’t you try flying around nearer to them?

However the guy at the bottom of the valley, if he flew back without descending as he returned he would be illegal as he would be above 400 ft when the drone was directly above him. It takes a while to interpret your controller height readout and your mark one eyeball.

Reactions: dgarside
I watched it the other day but didn’t get the connection. ...nice you will be getting a job with the tourist board at this rate. Have a safe enjoyable flight.:cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada