DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick question - no wifi, no cellular data, still fly?

alexb77

Reactions
Hi - i'm in an area with no wifi and no phone signal, can i still fly the drone and if so what are the best recommendations for safe flight? Any help would be great! Thanks :)

Hi - i'm in an area with no wifi and no phone signal, can i still fly the drone and if so what are the best recommendations for safe flight? Any help would be great! Thanks :)

if you are flying with controller, you don't need wifi or phone signal at all. the gps is onboard the mavic and the controller itself, and likewise, as long as your phone has GPS signal, that is sufficient even if you are doing intelligent follow me modes etc.

I always fly with wifi and phone off anyway. less distractions.

Yes :)
I believe that GPS on mobiles will still work without a wifi/mobile signal and that is what provides the "data" needed for some of the flight modes.
Best thing to be sure is to just try it :)
You will see on the controller if you have got a home point saved and if there are enough satellites for take off.

Yes :)
I believe that GPS on mobiles will still work without a wifi/mobile signal and that is what provides the "data" needed for some of the flight modes.
Best thing to be sure is to just try it :)
You will see on the controller if you have got a home point saved and if there are enough satellites for take off.

The gps on tablets phones are receivers only. Given the amount of satellites, and since Mavic is Glonass supported, the Mavic will get a GPS signal anywhere in the world. same for the controller and likely most tablet/phones these days.

it is only wifi/cell signal that has to be within range of a wifi AP/hotspot and/or cell tower. The only reason why you would desire a wifi/cell signal when flying is if you wish for Google maps to update the images, but you can cache them ahead of time if you know where you will be flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98