DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick Release for fishing or isolation deliveries.

Blakey01

Reactions
I should have checked this forum first for ideas but I went and built my own quick release system. My concept does not require any servos or electronics and can be flown for several kilometres. I tested this on my farm. I can drop very accurately using the camera for targeting. The idea is that the system uses pivoting airfoils that create very little drag and align with the direction of flight. When you want to drop, you simply reverse the aircraft and the release mechanism drops the payload. The 3D print files and instructions are on Thingiverse if anyone is interested. Drone Quick Release to suit DJI Mavic 2 Pro by PeterBlake IMG_20200406_101757.jpgMavic 2 Pro (2).jpgMavic 2 Pro (3).jpgMavic 2 Pro (7).jpgMavic 2 Pro (12).jpgMavic 2 Pro (14).jpg

I should have checked this forum first for ideas but I went and built my own quick release system. My concept does not require any servos or electronics and can be flown for several kilometres. I tested this on my farm. I can drop very accurately using the camera for targeting. The idea is that the system uses pivoting airfoils that create very little drag and align with the direction of flight. When you want to drop, you simply reverse the aircraft and the release mechanism drops the payload. The 3D print files and instructions are on Thingiverse if anyone is interested. Drone Quick Release to suit DJI Mavic 2 Pro by PeterBlake View attachment 98048View attachment 98049View attachment 98050View attachment 98051View attachment 98052View attachment 98053
Neat! Always good to see people creating and sharing their work. Love it

Thanks for sharing as it’s looking good. Did you see any issues with the sensors, or did you need to fly in sport mode?

With all the threads from fellow forum members, I’m really hoping to see one of their videos showing some fish being reeled in and caught. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing as it’s looking good. Did you see any issues with the sensors, or did you need to fly in sport mod?

With all the threads from fellow forum members, I’m really hoping to see one of their videos showing some fish being reeled in and caught. :)
lol I wonder about that too! I've never seen that successfully done

I’ve seen it done first-hand on the west side of Oahu. My elderly dad recently moved out there from Southern California, so it gives me an excuse to visit every few months.

My cousins out there have been fishing with a Phantom 3 for a few years now. They‘ve used the coat hanger method with an L-shape facing forward. When over the drop site, they face the P3 back at them, then slowly back up till the small, environmentally friendly loop slips off the wire.

The P3 fights any tradewinds well, and gets out beyond the reef to where the Ulua stalks it’s prey of smaller reef fish and moray eels. Even with 12-foot surf rods, they could barely reach the inland side of the reef. The Ulua (giant travally) is a great tasting and very sought-after catch on the islands, so I can see the appeal.

This video isn’t of my cousins, but the pidgin English is very much the same. This shows these guys using a front LED-activated drop device, and they actually catch an Ulua:

Quite clever. Can you recommend a company that would print that for me?

Thanks for sharing, very cool design! Curious if you happen to have a video showing it in action?

Would it survive a gust of wind and not releasing by accident?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11