DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick release plate to swap DJI Mavic 2 pro and zoom cameras??

Brelsh

Reactions
Just wondering if this is something anyone is working on, like a quick release adapter plate? I have the Pro but definitely have situations where I could use the zoom features. I would have thought one of the 3rd party companies might be looking into it if DJI weren't keen. Thoughts??

I would think that is impossible for many reasons. Not that I actually know anything but I would assume there is a lot more too it like differences in the software for sure, adapter plate would throw off gimbal balance etc.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I would think that is impossible for many reasons. Not that I actually know anything but I would assume there is a lot more too it like differences in the software for sure, adapter plate would throw off gimbal balance etc.
From what I've seen the gimble comes with the camera when ordered, (from pictures I've seen) so the balance should be unaffected, as far as software goes it's all built in already. It just detects what camera is being used and offers appropriate actions.

A plug and play gimbal assembly would be a serious challenge. There's a lot of delicate connections that need to be made, with high speed data going through several of them.

What happened to Thunderdrones anyway?

Reactions: Kgitti
What happened to Thunderdrones anyway?

He made some mistakes and was removed from our forum. See a few more details at:

Sure you do. Zooming compresses the scene. Cropping in on a high res clip won't give you compression. BTW, In this video you've got a guy swapping out the pro with the zoom:

and this one:

Sure you do. Zooming compresses the scene. Cropping in on a high res clip won't give you compression. BTW, In this video you've got a guy swapping out the pro with the zoom:

and this one:
Sure about that? Crop and zoom will give same perspective taken from the same position.

Sure about that? Crop and zoom will give same perspective taken from the same position.
You bet. Look at the "Dolly Zoom" shot and watch how the scene changes at every focal length. If you zoom in while backing up, the scene compressed. Conversely, if you zoom out while pushing in, everything stretches out and distorts. Can't do that by cropping in on a fixed focal length shot.

You bet. Look at the "Dolly Zoom" shot and watch how the scene changes at every focal length. If you zoom in while backing up, the scene compressed. Conversely, if you zoom out while pushing in, everything stretches out and distorts. Can't do that by cropping in on a fixed focal length shot.
You missed the important part in my claim, specifically “from the same position”. If you maintain your distance from the subject crop and zoom maintain the same perspective.

Just wondering if this is something anyone is working on, like a quick release adapter plate? I have the Pro but definitely have situations where I could use the zoom features. I would have thought one of the 3rd party companies might be looking into it if DJI weren't keen. Thoughts??
Best option is a second new bare M2 aircraft upon which to permanently mount the second camera. Currently $599, but was $499 a few weeks ago. Takes just 20 seconds to bind the RC to the other aircraft. Much simpler!

Reactions: ff22
Best option is a second new bare M2 aircraft upon which to permanently mount the second camera. Currently $599, but was $499 a few weeks ago. Takes just 20 seconds to bind the RC to the other aircraft. Much simpler!
While I somewhat like the idea, that does mean carrying around another four pounds of drone rather than having a swift method of merely swapping a gimbal or camera. But since no such "quick swap" method yet exists, your suggestion is very practical.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
While I somewhat like the idea, that does mean carrying around another four pounds of drone rather than having a swift method of merely swapping a gimbal or camera. But since no such "quick swap" method yet exists, your suggestion is very practical.
Indeed! It also keeps you in the air, able to record video and stills, if either drone crashes or is misbehaving. For a commercial operator it is essential. For a hobbyist, highly desirable. It's a full backup device! 20 seconds to bind the M2 controller to the other drone, and you are back in the air!

dji arizona sells the zoom camera for the m2 at a reasonable price but told be there is a limit to how many times you can swap cameras 4 to 6 times befor the ribbon cable becomes an issue,i haven’t pulled the trigger on the zoom yet because of that,it would be nice to have a quick release but it would still come back to the ribbon cable getting worn out im assuming.?

Indeed! It also keeps you in the air, able to record video and stills, if either drone crashes or is misbehaving. For a commercial operator it is essential. For a hobbyist, highly desirable. It's a full backup device! 20 seconds to bind the M2 controller to the other drone, and you are back in the air!
Just be gentle on the bind button. Dave at Drone Valley broke his. Don't use a tool like a pen tip. Just your finger tip is all that's needed.

dji arizona sells the zoom camera for the m2 at a reasonable price but told be there is a limit to how many times you can swap cameras 4 to 6 times befor the ribbon cable becomes an issue,i haven’t pulled the trigger on the zoom yet because of that,it would be nice to have a quick release but it would still come back to the ribbon cable getting worn out im assuming.?
If you intend to regularly use both cameras, just buy a second bare M2 aircraft and be done with it. See above links.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada