DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick sunset I took last night.

Gorgeous!!!

Reactions: dirkclod
Photoshop for color adjustment is okay in my books. I take most of my pictures in AEB mode to have more color freedom.
Always thought that the way the eye perceives something is affected by the sun, the clouds, and maybe more by the viewer's emotional mood. That can be lost in the best of photos. How often have you said, "the photo does not do justice to being there."? Photoshopping to restore some of that color pop, as long as not overdone, is certainly ok when it comes to awesome shots like this. Nice.

Um... I think you miss something here, regarding photoshopping. In the real world, the sun reflects off clouds. Therefore, if the sun is to the left, you will see clouds having that light reflected off their left side, like the clouds in this photo. Now, if the sun were at the viewers back, then the clouds would be lit from the front, so the viewer would see all the light reflected on that cloud.

Since the sun is at the back of this cloud, that means the entire cloud is in shadow, since the sun, up to today anyway, does not shine around corners. Therefore, the cloud the viewer is seeing in this photo, should all be in shadow. Yet it is not, it is being light from the left side, not from the back, which is where the sun is in this image. Can someone give me an explanation of how that could be, other than 2 photos put together in Photoshop, One of the clouds being lit from the left, and the other photo being the sunset with that little sun way off in the distance.

Take another look and tell me how that sun bent around that cloud to only light portions of it please. Beautiful composition though, of two different photos. You also have a darker sky in the left hand portion of thjis image but on the right, between the two clouds, you have a much brighter section of sky, In real life that is normally not possible, the sky would be evenly lit, not bright on the right and darker on the left side of the sun, as is seen here.

Last edited:
Um... I think you miss something here, regarding photoshopping. In the real world, the sun reflects off clouds. Therefore, if the sun is to the left, you will see clouds having that light reflected off their left side, like the clouds in this photo. Now, if the sun were at the viewers back, then the clouds would be lit from the front, so the viewer would see all the light reflected on that cloud.

Since the sun is at the back of this cloud, that means the entire cloud is in shadow, since the sun, up to today anyway, does not shine around corners. Therefore, the cloud the viewer is seeing in this photo, should all be in shadow. Yet it is not, it is being light from the left side, not from the back, which is where the sun is in this image. Can someone give me an explanation of how that could be, other than 2 photos put together in Photoshop, One of the clouds being lit from the left, and the other photo being the sunset with that little sun way off in the distance.

Take another look and tell me how that sun bent around that cloud to only light portions of it please. Beautiful composition though, of two different photos. You also have a darker sky in the left hand portion of thjis image but on the right, between the two clouds, you have a much brighter section of sky, In real life that is normally not possible, the sky would be evenly lit, not bright on the right and darker on the left side of the sun, as is seen here.

I see your argument, but I think it's one photo. The cloud on the right is in the shade of the cloud on the left, which is being lit very obliquely - that's why some parts of it are shaded. The sun is not fully behind it, from the camera perspective.

I see your argument, but I think it's one photo. The cloud on the right is in the shade of the cloud on the left, which is being lit very obliquely - that's why some parts of it are shaded. The sun is not fully behind it, from the camera perspective.
I understand your thinking, and this is correct for the real light source hitting these two clouds, but that light source is not the sun we are led to believe, that is on the horizon behind these two clouds. If you zoom in a little and really think about what you are seeing, ponder this. The large cloud on the right is in full shadow of the large cloud on the left, and if the sun was off to the viewers left, this would be perfectly acceptable and possible. And that is why it does look like it does, because it was lit this way, just not in the main photo we are looking at, these clouds have been brought in from another photo and blended together to create this composite.

Now... since the sun is not off to the left, the sun is in fact behind those clouds in this image, there is no way that the large cloud on the left (which is partially lit up by the sun) could be lit, yet the cloud in full shade, on the right, remains without any sunlight hitting it, IF... we are to believe that the only light source, is the sun on the horizon. If this were a real unaltered photo, that sun on the horizon would have to be lighting both large clouds equally, since both are similar in size and right next to each other with nothing between them and the sun on the horizon to block any light. The supposed light source, the sun in this photo on the horizon behind them, would be hitting them equally. Apologies if I am repeating myself.

If those clouds are being lit from the sun behind them, why is there absolutely no sun being shown to hit that large shadowed/shaded cloud on the right? Now to further my argument, zoom in to the cloud close to the sun on the horizon and see how the sun is affecting this cloud. It is showing a complete rim of light around the cloud with the main central area of that cloud in complete shade from the light source, as it should be, because this is the real part of that photo. Any cloud being lit from behind by that sun on the horizon, would show a rim of light all around it but the main centre section, would have no possible light from the sun, hitting it, and would remain in complete shade.

Now maybe you can better understand how that sun should be acting upon those two large clouds, if they were really there I the photo. Again the brightness in the upper sky, left and right of that sun on the horizon, would be even, not much lighter on the right between those two clouds, and darker on the left side of this image. If they were really being lit from that sun we see in the distant horizon, both those clouds would be equally lit.

ONLY if you place the light source (the sun) off to the left of those two large clouds, would you be able to achieve a lighting of those clouds, as we see it, in this image. That being, the left cloud closest to the light source, which would be the sun low and off to the left of the viewer, would be the one to get hit from the sun directly, and the large cloud behind the lit one, would then of course, be in its shadow and not be getting any light hitting it from the light source, which as stated, would be the sun off to the left. Have another look, thinking about the light source we are supposed to believe, in this photo, and let me know what you now think. Still a great photo though, at first impression.

Last edited:
I understand your thinking, however, if you zoom in a little and really think about what you are seeing, ponder this. The large cloud on the right is in full shadow of the large cloud on the left, but if the sun was off to the viewers left, this would be perfectly acceptable and possible.

Now... since the sun is not off to the left, the sun is infact behind those clouds, there is no way that the large cloud on the left (which is partially lit up by the sun) could be lit, yet the cloud in full shadow on the right, remains without any sunlight hitting it, IF... we are to believe that the only light source, is the sun on the horizon. If this were a real unaltered photo, that sun on the horizon would be lighting both large clouds equally, since both are similar in size and right next to each other and the supposed light source would be hitting them equally.

If those clouds are being lit from the sun behind them, why is there absolutely no sun being shown to hit that large shadowed/shaded cloud on the right? Now to further my argument, zoom in to the cloud close to the sun on the horizon and see how the sun is affecting this cloud. It is showing a complete rim of light around the cloud with the main central area of that cloud in complete shade from the light source, as it should be, because this is the real part of that photo. Any cloud being lit from behind, would show a rim of light all around it but the main centre section, would have no possible light from the sun, hitting it, and would remain in complete shade.

Now maybe you can better understand how that sun should be acting upon those two large clouds, if they were really there I the photo. Again the brightness in the upper sky, left and right of that sun on the horizon, would be even, not much lighter on the right between those two clouds, and darker on the left side of this image. If they were really being lit from that sun we see in the distant horizon, both those clouds would be equally lit.

ONLY if you place the light source (the sun) off to the left of those two large clouds, would you be able to achieve a lighting of those clouds, as we see it in this image. That being, the left cloud closest to the light source, which would be the sun low and off to the left of the viewer, would be the one to get hit from the sun directly, and the large cloud behind the lit one, would then of course be in its shadow and not be getting any light hitting it from the light source, which as stated, would be the sun off to the left. Have another look thinking about the light source we are supposed to believe, in this photo, and let me know what you now think. Still a great photo though, at first impression.

As I said – I think you may be making some incorrect perspective assumptions regarding the relative position of the two big clouds and the sun. I went back and looked at the photo at the pixel level, and I couldn't find any obvious evidence of multiple images. Not conclusive, of course, either way. Why don't you just PM @LuvMyTJ and ask him?

As I said – I think you may be making some incorrect perspective assumptions regarding the relative position of the two big clouds and the sun. I went back and looked at the photo at the pixel level, and I couldn't find any obvious evidence of multiple images. Not conclusive, of course, either way. Why don't you just PM @LuvMyTJ and ask him?

Nahh, more fun to speculate :)

How do you explain then, that the light source on the lit cloud clearly shows the light source coming from the left hand side, since its right side is completely in shadow. If the source was reall that sun in the background, that lit cloud must have even lighting from that sun, all around it, not just on its left side, since the right side of the left cloud is still exposed to that sun on th horizon, if we are to believe this was in fact the light source.

Can you explain how you think the light would bend around the left part of the left cloud, yet be completely shaded from the sun, on the right side of that left cloud? Light has no favorites, not can it bend like that. We don't even need to go into the fact that no sun at all is hitting the right hand cloud despite the sun being in the same position to it as the cloud on the left, because that could not be possible, if the real sun here and only sun, was that which is shown in the distant horizon. What do you think stopped the sunlight hitting that right cloud?

Reactions: sar104
Nahh, more fun to speculate :)

How do you explain then, that the light source on the lit cloud clearly shows the light source coming from the left hand side, since its right side is completely in shadow. If the source was reall that sun in the background, that lit cloud must have even lighting from that sun, all around it, not just on its left side, since the right side of the left cloud is still exposed to that sun on th horizon, if we are to believe this was in fact the light source.

Can you explain how you think the light would bend around the left part of the left cloud, yet be completely shaded from the sun, on the right side of that left cloud? Light has no favorites, not can it bend like that. We don't even need to go into the fact that no sun at all is hitting the right hand cloud despite the sun being in the same position to it as the cloud on the left, because that could not be possible, if the real sun here and only sun, was that which is shown in the distant horizon. What do you think stopped the sunlight hitting that right cloud?

I think that the bright cloud is between the sun and the dark cloud, and I think it stretches away from the camera rather than across the field of view.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851