DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Racing Edition Goggles for M2P

h1pst3r88

Reactions
Hi Folks,

I've got local craigslist seller from whom I can get the RE goggles like new for $275 and I am very intrigued. I have never flown with goggles and I am wondering if anyone here has experience specifically with flying the RE goggles with the Mavic 2 Pro. What are the coolest benefits and what are the biggest drawbacks?

Thanks!!

-Chris

VLOS is not possible and motion sickness

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi Folks,

I've got local craigslist seller from whom I can get the RE goggles like new for $275 and I am very intrigued. I have never flown with goggles and I am wondering if anyone here has experience specifically with flying the RE goggles with the Mavic 2 Pro. What are the coolest benefits and what are the biggest drawbacks?

Thanks!!

-Chris
It’s cool, I’d probably pick them up for that cost. I’m not sure there’s much noticeable difference between the RE edition and the white goggles but the black ones do make you look less goofy.

The drawbacks:

It’s one more thing to carry around and charge.

They don’t fit any human’s head very well and they don’t fit on your face well at all.

Reactions: sonof40
I took the front-of-the-head, top-bracket off the white ones and they fit better. You have to carefully prise the foam back from its mount and then remove the two self tappers that hold the bracket to the head band.

Reactions: brett8883
Hi Folks,

Thanks!!

-Chris
The only thing I "kinda" like is head tracking. I hardly ever use my FPV set up ( ZEISS Cinemizer OLED ) When I do it's for someone else to do a "Ride along". Head tracking would be pretty cool for them.. Take it up about 200' and let them have a look around ;)

From what I hear the RE's are a step up on fit and more comfortable..A mod for a fan (Ventilation) is recommended though. :) For $275 I would surely snag them as wellThumbswayup I might sell my Zeiss as resale is still high and get me a pair of the RE's just for the heck of it.

I took the front-of-the-head, top-bracket off the white ones and they fit better. You have to carefully prise the foam back from its mount and then remove the two self tappers that hold the bracket to the head band.
I did that too. It helps but the face piece still doesn’t rest correctly on my face

Do you guys use the goggles for specific use-cases or do you just throw them on rather than fly by controller. I use a DJI Smart Controller which I really like and also have the standard controller with an iPad and Polar Pro mount that I have never used (I find the SC brighter than the iPad).

Is the 1080p stream in the goggles impressive, clear, and bright? Is the perspective worth the investment in both time and money once in the air?

Really appreciate your experiences,

-Chris

Do you guys use the goggles for specific use-cases or do you just throw them on rather than fly by controller. I use a DJI Smart Controller which I really like and also have the standard controller with an iPad and Polar Pro mount that I have never used (I find the SC brighter than the iPad).

Is the 1080p stream in the goggles impressive, clear, and bright? Is the perspective worth the investment in both time and money once in the air?

-Chris

If you have a SC, I'd seriously look at the Epson BT-35e glasses as well
It will connect to the usb-c on the SC for the video feed and power

-Chris
I like to fly both with the normal app and the goggles when I use the goggles. I tend to use the goggles either when there’s no shade to fly from because it’s easier to see the screen in direct sunlight and to have somebody else watch the flight. I honestly don’t use them much, maybe just out of habit but considering they are as large as my entire case for my Mavic and awkward I just don’t tend to grab them when going out.

I’ve actually used them to play Xbox a few times and it’s actually pretty good for that, surprisingly.

The screen in bright and clear but I wish it wrapped around a bit more. It’s more like watching on a huge tv then it is VR.

Reactions: h1pst3r88
If you have a SC, I'd seriously look at the Epson BT-35e glasses as well
It will connect to the usb-c on the SC for the video feed and power

That kid makes millions :p I tried the Epson Moverio BT-300 Drone FPV Edition Glasses, The only thing really nice was the see through to watch drone and screen at the same time. Even with the optional Rochester Optical Sun Shield the screen was still a bit washed out. The only option was to use the shade system which blocks the lenses so screen went to full brightness. And then you would have what I have and the Zeiss are just a whole lot better product all the way around IMHO.

The best part about Epson's and Zeiss are you don't look like a complete dork using them, they look like a pair of sunglasses, and like mentioned above they fit right into the drone case with no issue. But to each their own I guess, there is something out there for everyone's taste.

If I could figure out how to get the optional Headtracker unit to work for DJI, I would be in Heaven, from what I can tell there is no head tracking for Epson?

The first production models (like mine) had serious lack of range issues. Firmware updates and a few other tricks improved it somewhat. The focus is non-existant. Focus is improved with a set of drug store readers.

I use mine exclusively for ride alongs for drone newbies. Almost never wear them myself.

Tried using them to watch movies and games but they're just too dang big and bulky to get comfortable.

I think $275.00 is way too much for used Re's considering their past issues. $125.00 tops.

The first production models (like mine) had serious lack of range issues. Firmware updates and a few other tricks improved it somewhat. The focus is non-existant. Focus is improved with a set of drug store readers.

I use mine exclusively for ride alongs for drone newbies. Almost never wear them myself.

Tried using them to watch movies and games but they're just too dang big and bulky to get comfortable.

I think $275.00 is way too much for used Re's considering their past issues. $125.00 tops.
Darn, $425 off what they cost and they are like new, used? I haven't seen anything DJI sell for much better than half cost and that is 3 or 4 years later. Past issues are past, but it's your dime to spend. I just sold a P3P system for $700. So there is a market, just can't be in any hurry :)

Price seems reasonably in line with eBay.
i have the RE and the white,they give a unique experience I really enjoy.
Beyond LOS (I know guys...no need to recite rules) I also find them better than a phone or tablet ,especially in bright sunlight for visuals.
Gimbal head tracking greatly adds to the illusion of being onboard.
Down side not comfortable for more than 20 min.
Also unless you have great eyesight you will need the focus fixers .
Danger of buying second hand (I bought the whites on eBay) especially the RE version,is if they might suffer from the short range issue,I had to send my new RE goggles back to DJI to get them fixed,they now work great over long distances with both my SM and standard remote.
Maybe ask the seller if he guarantees they work long distance properly, or try before buy.

I bought the white goggles last year used from this forum ... I got them synced to my drone no problems and used them on a short flight ... worked great ... put them away and just 2 weeks ago took them out to charge up overnight ... the next day tried starting them up and they wouldn’t boot up at all .. didn’t even get recognized on the assistant (figured battery was so low that they needed to have update re installed or something) so I sent them to DJI for repair in Ca. Just notified by them that goggle part is no good and new one is $286... and naturally not under warranty...
I thought they’d be great for waypoint/poi flying ... didn’t get the chance to do that though ...
so buyer beware... used sometimes isn’t the way to go... saw on the DJI store new for $365 so prices are coming down but naturally not available probably due to covid crap !!

My only complaint with the goggles, is the fact that you cannot adjust them to your vision. I wear light reading glasses and when flying with just my phone, I will wear my light reader's. When I pull out the goggles I need a stronger pair of glasses to see in them. Double the strength! So now I have to carry two pair of glasses and switch between the two when I use the goggles.
That being said, .... I love the goggles. Even when flying out in my field beside the house, I can fly around the tree's down below the branches and see exactly where I am and how close to things I am.
You can get some very cool footage using them.

My only complaint with the goggles, is the fact that you cannot adjust them to your vision. I wear light reading glasses and when flying with just my phone, I will wear my light reader's. When I pull out the goggles I need a stronger pair of glasses to see in them. Double the strength! So now I have to carry two pair of glasses and switch between the two when I use the goggles.
That being said, .... I love the goggles. Even when flying out in my field beside the house, I can fly around the tree's down below the branches and see exactly where I am and how close to things I am.
You can get some very cool footage using them.
Get the lenses that clip right over the screens ... available from DJI store... this way you won’t need the readers .. I think they’re #3.0

Hi Folks,

Thanks!!

-Chris

I really like my RE's. When not using them for FPV with my M2Z, I plug my Firestick and Earbuds into them and watch Netflix, Youtube TV (NBA is really fun), etc. Using the Firestick you get around the streaming ban you get with an iPad and apple Lightning HDMI adapter.

My view is that you haven't really flown your M2P until you have used the googles in full screen with gimbal head tracking. I have the RE version and its a bit uncomfortable but does the job in the best way possible as far as I know. Do I recommend it? Well, people are different. For me it is as essential as the SC. It completes the M2 kit. Now, let me see, where can I get a cheap M2Z ...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000