DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Radar interference

I was an ET1 in the Navy 63 to 70, worked on ship's radar. Close up, the radar signal is many times stronger than a microwave oven - it would instantly trash a drone and interfere with electronics many hundreds of yards away. Stay well clear.

I was an ET1 in the Navy 63 to 70, worked on ship's radar. Close up, the radar signal is many times stronger than a microwave oven - it would instantly trash a drone and interfere with electronics many hundreds of yards away. Stay well clear.
Perhaps there would be issues if you were to fly right in front of the radar antenna but there's no problem flying at a sensible and realistic distance.
Many hundreds of yards away ??
Here's a tiny selection of the evidence I have to prove that ship's radar won't do anything to your drone.

Yes, I can imagine radar could interfere with the signal to/from controller and aircraft. Exactly at what range that is would depend on how powerful the radar is. Complicating the situation even more is you do not know when it has been switched on. Some have a dome and others have a rotating bar, but just be cause it's rotating doesn't mean it's on.

Yes, I can imagine radar could interfere with the signal to/from controller and aircraft. Exactly at what range that is would depend on how powerful the radar is.
Except that it doesn't have any effect on drone at all.
See post #5
Complicating the situation even more is you do not know when it has been switched on. Some have a dome and others have a rotating bar, but just be cause it's rotating doesn't mean it's on.
If the ship is in motion, it's a safe assumption that the radar is on.

Radar frequencies are no where near the frequencies used by drones, and do not interact with them meaningfully. If you are really close to a radiating antenna, you could have a radar signal so strong that it overloads the drone’s input amplifier, and causes it to distort to the point where the encoded messages from the controller are trashed.

You would need tobe very close to a very powerful radiating antenna for this to happen. In normal operation, this is very unlikely. Normal 16 mile radar won’t do it unless you are attempting to land on the antenna.

Reactions: Meta4
Do you feel lucky ? Well do you ? ...... Meaconing, Intrusion, Jamming, and Interference (MIJI) is one of the most discussed topics when it comes to UAV operations. It refers to the interception and rebroadcast of signals that are more powerful than the ones used to navigate the aircraft. Although this type of attack can be possible on any type of signal with a stronger one, it mainly affects the GNSS. It's not so much the Radar freq. which is close enough to our freq. that I'd be concerned with but the power output of the transmitter. I'd be more concerned about a HF radio with a legal 1500 watt transmitter, especially with all the different digital modulation modes used today for email radio.

Last edited:
I would be very careful around military ships. Their countermeasures, should they choose to activate them, would definitely pose problems for any consumer drone!

At least in the USA, you really don't want to be flying anywhere near military vessels anyway:

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Distance from a radar may not be what you think. Those big rotating open arrays are very narrow beam, with a lot of power in them.

I suggest you figure out just how much power hits your drone at a certain distance from a powerful radar, then ask yourself, Would I give my drone a quick ride in a microwave oven of the same power rating?'

I think you have to assume worst case. Modern, solid state radar, is generally low power. Classic magnetron radar is high power. For good reason both are in use on small and large craft. You can not tell one from the other by looking at the antenna.

I watched some rows on the snake river last week. Beautiful scenery - would have made nice video, a stem to stern flyby just above the starboard side. And I looked at that big antenna and thought doing a flyby wasn't worth the risk. But, hey, it's your bird at risk. Fly as your risk tolerance allows.

I was with Patriot Missle Bn thier radar can cook just about anything.patriot.jpg

Reactions: bumper
I suggest you figure out just how much power hits your drone at a certain distance from a powerful radar, then ask yourself, Would I give my drone a quick ride in a microwave oven of the same power rating?'
I watched some rows on the snake river last week. Beautiful scenery - would have made nice video, a stem to stern flyby just above the starboard side. And I looked at that big antenna and thought doing a flyby wasn't worth the risk. But, hey, it's your bird at risk. Fly as your risk tolerance allows.
I'd suggest reading post #5 rather than just the thread title.

Perhaps there would be issues if you were to fly right in front of the radar antenna but there's no problem flying at a sensible and realistic distance.
Many hundreds of yards away ??
Here's a tiny selection of the evidence I have to prove that ship's radar won't do anything to your drone.

That’s a superb collection of images. I had been thinking of much smaller private boats with presumably lower powered radar.

Thanks one and all. I guess it’s ‘flyer beware’. It’s just that I’ve never heard of anyone having any problems while flying around water craft with radar.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S