DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rail Road Fans

Roy Rogers

Reactions
! Rail Road hi old style.png! Rail Road might be da best.png! Rail Road on the tracks.png! Rail Roads hi n low curve.png!Rail Road Strait on eye level.png!RailRoad Track old style.png

The Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railway built the taller of the two structures which stand before you in 1908. At 167 feet over the Copper Creek - Clinch River junction, the Copper Creek Viaduct was then one of the tallest railroad bridges in the eastern United States. Construction of this trestle -- and many other bridges and fifty five tunnels -- by the CC&O opened up coal deposits in Virginia and Kentucky via a superbly engineered direct rail route to numerous cities in the Carolinas, Georga, and Florida. Prior to its compltion, alternate rail routes to these markets were over on hundred miles longer and featured some of the steepest grades in the United States. More than a century later this viaduct is still a vital link in the rail network of Clinchfield's successor company, CSX transportation. An average of 18 to 24 coal trains currently pass daily over this bridge, keeping the lights on in such major cities as Charlotte, Columbia, Jacksonville, Orelando, and Charleston. Northbound coal empties are returning to the rich coal seams of Eastern Kentucky, Virginia, and Southern West Virginia. Additional trains carrying general merchandise, grain, plastics, lumber, chemicals, and aggregates also pass over the trestle. The lower bridge was constructed by the Southern Atlantic & Ohio railroad around 1890 and is currently owned by Norfolk Southern corporation. Close to one hundred per cent of the business is handled by Norfolk Southern, though they are competitors, allow each to use the others tracks, so trains of both railroads can often be seen on either of the Copper Creek trestles.

Which Photo is best ?
Thanks for Participating !

Nice...

Reactions: Roy Rogers
Last pic (6). It is the same as pic 3 composition wise (great composition by the way) but 6 wins on color.

Edit: got my numbers mixed up, fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last pic (6). It is the same as pic 3 composition wise (great composition by the way) but 6 wins on color.

Edit: got my numbers mixed up, fixed.
Your right about 6 and 3 . Photo 6 with the color edit is my wives favorite too

As a retired Norfolk Southern engineer, I must say that those are some beautiful and beautifully done pictures. I can only hope that I get half as good with my MP as you are. I like #2 and #6.
I'm looking forward to seeing your photos/videos Willdloy ! Being a retired engineer I bet you've a lot ?
As for these photos , they're screen shots taken from a video I filmed at this location coming out of this past winter. Notice no green leaves on the trees. It was the morning after a Hugh flood . The river isn't normally this high .
I think photos 2 and 6 have a quality to them too. Thanks for watching and voting . keep flying and filming !

You shouldn't have gone through the trouble of asking us; what the wife picks is the winner! Always ;)
You are a very smart man ! I know, my wife told me ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej