DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ramble on DJI's GPS selection (long, boring post)

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
From a past thread I found the Mavic Pro uses some variant of the ublox 7P or M8P receivers. These are purported to perform high accuracy missions in a wide swath of applications. A recent thread comment from @JLane trying to block signal to the GPS in order to do some ATTI flying got me wondering about the sensitivity of the ublox modules. JLane could not manage to block the signal easily with aluminum sheets.

From that I'm guessing that signal leaking in through the side or bouncing off of other components is getting around JLane's masking.

Indeed the ublox GPS spec comes in at a very sensitive -161 dB tracking level.

Airborne GPS (the certified ones in airliners) are nowhere near that sensitive (to my recollection). I think they bottom out at about -145 dB - I may be wrong - but I doubt it's less than -150 dB. That is so deep in the noise that it takes beautifully designed correlators to eek eke out the signal. At -161 dB the noise is incredibly high - but that sensitivity will allow the correlators to (noisily) eek eke out the signal. The correlation will be very jittery however.

Aviation receivers have the benefit of a very benign signal operating environment. First off the antenna is on top of the fuselage with nothing but the vertical stabilizer in the way. Signal easily gets around that so it's no issue and most (99.9999%) of the rest of the sky has nothing in the way. Even if the airplane rolls to a high bank angle, "skin effect" will carry the signal over the skin to the antenna fairly well. So these receivers don't need to be too sensitive. Even on the ground at the airport gate, most of the sky is clear and by the time they taxi to takeoff, all available sats are easily tracked.

Further, it's not desirable to be too sensitive for three more reasons: 1) multipath and 2) correlator saturation. If the front end is too sensitive then multipath signals may get through and be tracked resulting in error (or just barf up the legitimate signal) and if the correlator sees too much energy then the correlation function, which should be a sharp pointed shape, becomes topped out. The amount of "top" on the function is a direct contributor to error (the pseudo-range to the satellite will have a large error). If all the satellites have saturated correlators, then the contribution to error increases.

The 3) reason is simple interference rejection. GPS is pretty vulnerable because of its required sensitivity - making the receiver even more sensitive just increases its vulnerabilty to interference. Not a good thing for aircraft.

If these errors from sensitivity result in enough error it's even plausible that the navigation solution fails - some GPS algorithms do not "publish" if the solution has too high an error probability. I don't know if the ubloc GPS receivers do such.

Since the MP flies in a very benign GPS reception environment I wonder if the above could be a reason for the dropouts from GPS to ATTI.

Sorry for the long post. I don't have a drone to fly. Damnit.

Last edited:
Reactions: halley
Good conjecture, but we probably will never know. The Mavic already has more redundancy than I would expect in a small package like this. Adding more receivers to reject bad data and agree on weak signals may be a challenge.

By the way, it's "eke: scavenge a little at a time" not "eek: a mouse under the sink." Hehe.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Good conjecture, but we probably will never know. The Mavic already has more redundancy than I would expect in a small package like this. Adding more receivers to reject bad data and agree on weak signals may be a challenge.

By the way, it's "eke: scavenge a little at a time" not "eek: a mouse under the sink." Hehe.

I don't think adding anything is needed. As Le Corbusier would say, "It's not finished when there is nothing to add but when there is nothing left to take away." In that light what needs to be taken away is so much signal shining on the GPS antenna. So some attenuation (oops, adding something) over the antenna may be needed or a less sensitive receiver.

Thanks for the spelling lesson and especially for raising "ramble" to "conjecture" status!

I had a very minor crash and instead of sending the mavic back to DJI for what would amount to a cosmetic repair to the top shell, I went ahead and ordered one off eBay and replaced it. While doing so, I found my Mavic had the rear motor wires twisted from the factory; however, to take it a step further, I put a few extra twists in the gps cable (the GPS is located in the rear of the top shell and I had to switch it over to the new shell). After powering the mavic back up several times, I noticed that it when it used to take 1-2 minutes to get 11 satellites, now I get 15+ within seconds of starting the mavic. I just thought it was an interesting result that lends itself to your comment about the overly sensitive gps unit.

I noticed that it when it used to take 1-2 minutes to get 11 satellites, now I get 15+ within seconds of starting the mavic.

How long between these tests? If you shut down and restart in the same few hours, the GPS receiver is still fresh on all the ephemeris of the satellites and does not need the full 45 seconds to become acquainted. Otherwise you aren't really locked on that satellite. (The Mavic controller counts sats that have been seen, not fully understood. The green GPS lock status is only once 4+ sats have become fully understood.)

How long between these tests? If you shut down and restart in the same few hours, the GPS receiver is still fresh on all the ephemeris of the satellites and does not need the full 45 seconds to become acquainted. Otherwise you aren't really locked on that satellite. (The Mavic controller counts sats that have been seen, not fully understood. The green GPS lock status is only once 4+ sats have become fully understood.)

6-7 days apart.

I had a very minor crash and instead of sending the mavic back to DJI for what would amount to a cosmetic repair to the top shell, I went ahead and ordered one off eBay and replaced it. While doing so, I found my Mavic had the rear motor wires twisted from the factory; however, to take it a step further, I put a few extra twists in the gps cable (the GPS is located in the rear of the top shell and I had to switch it over to the new shell). After powering the mavic back up several times, I noticed that it when it used to take 1-2 minutes to get 11 satellites, now I get 15+ within seconds of starting the mavic. I just thought it was an interesting result that lends itself to your comment about the overly sensitive gps unit.

GPS acquisition can be a funny thing depending on the constellation you have at that time and place, how long since the last time the GPS was run and so on and so forth. The GPS cable you twisted, I assume, is the data and power cable?

Source please?

6-7 days apart.

I would find it highly unusual for any GPS receiver to acquire in under 30 seconds after a week unless it was pre-primed with ephemeris from another source. Bear in mind that the GPS kicks on as soon as you hit the battery switch. So while you're busy with other things and waiting for the connect to occur it's galloping ahead trying to acquire.

It was the cable attached to the GPS unit. Several of the cable inside the sleeve like conduit were already twisted. I can confidently say I am not an electrical engineer or GPS expert, it was just an observation. I will fly my Mavic today and let you all know if I get a similar result or if it was a one time thing.

It was the cable attached to the GPS unit. Several of the cable inside the sleeve like conduit were already twisted. I can confidently say I am not an electrical engineer or GPS expert, it was just an observation. I will fly my Mavic today and let you all know if I get a similar result or if it was a one time thing.

Great - looking forward to it.

I am sad to report it took the normal 1-2 minutes to get to GPS mode today. The time that it seemed almost immediate was around midnight, so maybe there was less interference or something? I live in a densely populated area. In fact our property backs up to an apartment building that probably has 500-1000 units, and I'm guessing each unit probably has its own wireless network. Sorry for the false hope of an easy way to improve GPS reception.

P.S., before anyone chimes in, i wasn't flying at night. I just powered up the unit to be sure the gps worked because it was the single item I had to unplug and install in the new top shell.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom