DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ran into my first ***hole today

Yeah, the faa controls the air space above the park. But in my opinion the faa is not doing their job sticking up for drone pilots. They give a faa test to be a pilot and then do nothing to give us an air space. They tell us where to not fly which is basically becoming everywhere. Cmon faa support drone rights!

Check again on FAA site. THATs where the NFZ is stated. Airmap and B4UFly will tell you that too.
Also flying near NFL (and other) stadiums during and 1 hour before/after games.
National Parks have never been NFZ, they have never been marked as such from the FAA. Neither the FAA sites nor B4UFly mark them as such.

National Parks have never been NFZ, they have never been marked as such from the FAA. Neither the FAA sites nor B4UFly mark them as such.
Huh, I could have sworn it was at least a permanent TFR, even discussed as one or the other.

Same thing happened to me. Though I live in Thailand, was flying at the beach, away from everyone and have my drone registered per local regulation.

I was just flying over the deserted end of the beach, just getting scenery shots and some Russian tourist came storming up the beach yelling & cursing(i think) in Russian saying drone flying is forbidden. I replied he was incorrect because as long as it’s not restricted airspace, you are below the regulation flight altitude, your drone is registered and you are not over people, you can fly anywhere.

I had enough of him and was seriously gonna put him out of his misery, but decided to just de-escalate as no good can come to me as a foreigner(American) beating up a loudmouth Russian prick. I should’ve smashed him and hid him in the bushes. Unfortunately, Haters(even internationally) just come with the territory. Actually it’s jst jealousy that they don’t have one

YOU can tell him " edee na hooii "

Actually, you have every right guaranteed under the Constitution regardless of who you are or what you do. The US Constitution has a way of trumping everything else.

As far as the employees conduct... I never commented on that. All of this is really beside the point. The person had the right to ask the OP to stop flying.
Your skipping away from the topic here- the OP had every right to say whatever he may have liked to the person asking him not to fly also. So what? Question is did the person asking have any authority? I would have asked him to show me where the sign was for a start.

No... and no.

I can tell someone _anything_ I want. I can tell you that you cannot ever leave your house. I'm not violating any law. It is called freedom of speech and protected under the US Constitution. So the worker had every right to express his opinion.

On top of that, the worker was telling the OP that he could not fly a drone while on that property. If he was an agent (as you mentioned) of the property owner, he'd every right to control that property. It has nothing to do with airspace. The OP is more correct in stating that he could have left that property and flown over the fair grounds.

If you work for me I will make the call as to how you speak or act while on duty.

Reactions: Rudiger
If you work for me I will make the call as to how you speak or act while on duty.
But I've said several times...I'm not commenting on the way the person handled themselves. I stated that the person was not enforcing the flight itself and also stated that it was incorrect that the person could not legally say what he said.

Understand the law, learn how to handle yourself.

you obviously had a man control the situation without logic, and you became passive, makes it look like you are not a professional and flying around without purpose.

why ask him why you cant fly there? think about it.

your behaviour makes it harder for those who can educate and speak properly to these types. always ask yourself when flying around for no reason: "is this really worth it?"

flying around recreationally will be going away in the next couple years, and these types of non issue incidents is why uneducated people will make the laws, through feelings, not logic.

National forests are still ok. Wilderness areas or National Parks are not. At least you can’t launch from within them without a permit.

In Arkansas all state parks are not allowed without a permit. Went into effect earlier this year.

Plenty of National forest near me to fly. Hope that never comes under tighter focus. But as the stupid flights continue for the 5 seconds of fame odds are restricted areas will increase

Paul C

No a national forest has a totatally different designation than a “wilderness “ area.

National forest allows vehicles, modern tools, and can be harvested. In fact that is what a national forest is really. A parcel of land owned by the US government that can be cut and replanted.

Wilderness is much different. No trails no modern tools no cutting and no fire prevention in most cases.

Wilderness areas and National Parks are no drone. Have been for several years. Also anything designated as National river like the Buffalo River in my state. Not sure about National seashores.

Area managed by BLM Bureau of Land Management are unique and you need to contact them directly.

You can look up official description and restrictions of both a National Forest and Wilderness area. Both are Federally controlled and not by the state they reside in.

Paul C

These comments that hobby flying OVER US national parks
is OK is wrong according to ALL national park superintendents
& ticket-writing rangers, right? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Everglades National Park super confirmed that to me...
I was advised specifically which shoulder of Tamiami Trail
was NOT part of national park & I had to ONLY fly straight up & down...
Has any hobbyist confirmed otherwise by actually calling-asking???!!
e.g. "interference" with wildlife violation...?

Last edited:
Since you went over the top to be courteous by asking those you saw, I would carry that story to the guy’s boss or your city or county supervisor. I think your actions are commendable. I think showing that kind of sensitivity to others in the area we fly goes a lot farther than confronting them and trying to prove to them you have the “right”. You might win the fight but collectively, we will lose the war. The person confronted will virtually never simply say, “I didn’t know. Thanks for educating me. Have fun with your drone”. They will complain to everyone who will listen. They will write letters about the dangerous and rude person they saw flying a drone. They will scream for more laws. I have done exactly what you did initially and 98% of the time I get a “no problem and thanks for asking.” Unless you have a photo you really got to have, any debate about “our rights” I think does harm. The exception is when defending your rights with state and county officials who don’t know the laws and simply don’t like drones.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
if that is the first A-hole you have met.. you have done well for yourself :)

" I can tell someone _anything_ I want. I can tell you that you cannot ever leave your house. I'm not violating any law. It is called freedom of speech and protected under the US Constitution. So the worker had every right to express his opinion. "

This is false. No, you cannot say whatever you want and be protected under Freedom of Speech. Go into a crowd and yell "Fire". Go up to any law enforcement and say, " I'm going to kill you". Freedom of Speech isn't a license to say whatever you want to whomever you want whenever you want.
The worker" didn't express his opinion. He instructed someone to leave the property while acting as a representative of whatever company/department he works for and did so rudely, so again, Freedom of Speech doesn't protect him, and wouldn't under those circumstances even if he did in fact only give his opinion.
Please educate yourself before you find yourself in deep ****. And stop spreading false information.

Reactions: Lil' DronePilot
There is a large fairground in my city that they keep the gates open for people to walk, bike, walk their dogs etc when the city fair or any other event is not happening. It is not within controlled airspace, there is not any no trespassing signs and every other time I ask any people or workers that might happen to be there if they had a problem with me flying my drone, nobody has had a problem until today. I arrived and saw 2 workers picking up trash and asked them and as usual they said they didn't have a problem. As I was setting up another worker arrives in a truck and asks what I am doing and I explain. He says NO Drones there is a sign on the way in ((there isn't I checked,) even if there was I could launch from property next store and as long as I am following the rules there is nothing he can do?). I told him no problem and politely asked him why and he starts yelling for me to get **** out, which I complied! I was tempted to fly from outside but I didn't want the attention so I just left. I am starting to regret getting into this hobby, with the new rules being passed and people that don't know the rules (and some owners that ruin it for everyone), there just isn't many to fly around here!

Just needed to vent so I wouldn't do anything I might regret!
Good venting and let it go at that. They guy is maybe an A** but you don't want to become one, too. If you take any action with his employer it will just re-instill his attitude that drones and droners are bad. If I encounter a hostile and assuming that the flight isn't essential or could not be done another date / time, I simply apologize for any concerns I may have caused him, retrieve my drone and leave the area. I don't want to give him 1 thing negative to say about his encounter with me. Nothing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+