DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ran into my first ***hole today

There is a large fairground in my city that they keep the gates open for people to walk, bike, walk their dogs etc when the city fair or any other event is not happening. It is not within controlled airspace, there is not any no trespassing signs and every other time I ask any people or workers that might happen to be there if they had a problem with me flying my drone, nobody has had a problem until today. I arrived and saw 2 workers picking up trash and asked them and as usual they said they didn't have a problem. As I was setting up another worker arrives in a truck and asks what I am doing and I explain. He says NO Drones there is a sign on the way in ((there isn't I checked,) even if there was I could launch from property next store and as long as I am following the rules there is nothing he can do?). I told him no problem and politely asked him why and he starts yelling for me to get **** out, which I complied! I was tempted to fly from outside but I didn't want the attention so I just left. I am starting to regret getting into this hobby, with the new rules being passed and people that don't know the rules (and some owners that ruin it for everyone), there just isn't many to fly around here!

Just needed to vent so I wouldn't do anything I might regret!

Just tell him to take it up with the FAA. Here in New Zealand we have the CAA Civil Aviation Authority. Up at the beach where we have a caravan I was flying my drone and someone objected - said I was invading their space. I told them the only space was between their ears so go tell CAA, and walked away from them. People with head problems - think everyone is spying on them.

Steve

I knew that but I could swear I read city and state parks also but I can't find it now?

In Connecticut you can NOT take off and land in ANY State Park. And yesterday after flying and getting some nice sunset pics. I noticed this new sign in my town as I was leaving.. gonna have to go to the town hall and find out what the deal is. Section 14-54? I bet this is bull crap as there is a very affluent restaurant/ Hotel across the the street and some weird land exchanges in town. Total corruption int his "nice little new England town". ha20181013_183302.jpg

Last edited:
National Parks have never been NFZ, they have never been marked as such from the FAA. Neither the FAA sites nor B4UFly mark them as such.
Natl Parks forbid you from taking off or landing on Park proerty, how ever they cant tell you not t5o fly over the park

Reactions: Slim.slamma
There is nothing illegal about standing outside of a National Park and flying over it...

Perhaps.

However, since the FAA asks us to maintain VLOS, you are not going to go very far into that park....

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
No Drone Zone
Looks like the FAA will supply "no drone" signs to cities states and so on.....

And from the know before you fly website;

np.png

National Parks

This layer depicts areas within the boundaries of units of the National Park System. Launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft is prohibited on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within these areas. More information about the location of units of the National Park System and the National Park Service drone ban is available on the website of each park area which can be found on www.nps.gov.

I amazed sometimes at lack of knowledge on where to fly. Go to any National Park in the US and at entry the brouchere about the park will tell you no flying. Period. And expect to be fined. Flying is allowed only by issued permit. It been that way since 2016 around March.

Or google it. It’s quite clear you can’t launch in any USA National park.

The issue of flying over one is also grey as most park rangers don’t understand the FAA rules and just understand No Drones are allowed in a National Park. If they see you flying from a border over a park they odds are will tell you to land.

And with new Gov restrictions just passed repealing the hobby flight rules it’s just going to get worse.

Paul C

I amazed sometimes at lack of knowledge on where to fly. Go to any National Park in the US and at entry the brouchere about the park will tell you no flying. Period. And expect to be fined. Flying is allowed only by issued permit. It been that way since 2016 around March.

Or google it. It’s quite clear you can’t launch in any USA National park.

The issue of flying over one is also grey as most park rangers don’t understand the FAA rules and just understand No Drones are allowed in a National Park. If they see you flying from a border over a park they odds are will tell you to land.

And with new Gov restrictions just passed repealing the hobby flight rules it’s just going to get worse.

Paul C
The parks don't want drones buzzing around above them. The park visitors don't want it either.
They cant rule the airspace, but they can turn you in for flying beyond VLOS. Obviously the ban is a notice they don't want drones in the area. Flying in from outside the park is what I expect an a-hole to do. don't fly where they don't want you to fly. Simple. There is 1000 times more places that aren't banned than are banned. Use one of them instead.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I have to reply to this thread due to the similarity of my experience yesterday, with a twist; Yesterday I was out of state visiting a State Fair Grounds (not during the fair event, of course) that I used to go to as a kid. I actually lived a couple blocks away from it when I was in grade school. After years of dreaming of the experience, I finally flew over the grounds very carefully, briefly and covertly. It was just enough to relive my childhood. Nothing more. However, after lowering into a cattle barn area and scooting down a little alleyway, I thought I was home free. Then up drove the official State Fair Grounds vehicle. I smiled and walked up to the car and said hello. The first thing I said was how excited I was to be here after so many years and that I grew up there as a kid. Not sure if my pleasantries helped but I was blessed that the two older guys in the car said it was cool and that all they wanted to do was "see who was flying". I've posted here a few times about the unnecessary hostility of those who hate our hobby. In fact, for me, that is what is my objective is. A hobby. I think for a lot of us, that's the case. Unfortunately, others see it as an invasion of privacy. One post I offered a while back was called "Five Reasons I am Allowed to Fly Here". I would love to have someone who is well-versed in FAA regulations, write a concise 3X5 reference card for a recreational drone pilot to refer to when the want-to-be-cop security guard threatens a well-meaning Mavic flyer with a penalty.

I have to reply to this thread due to the similarity of my experience yesterday, with a twist; Yesterday I was out of state visiting a State Fair Grounds (not during the fair event, of course) that I used to go to as a kid. I actually lived a couple blocks away from it when I was in grade school. After years of dreaming of the experience, I finally flew over the grounds very carefully, briefly and covertly. It was just enough to relive my childhood. Nothing more. However, after lowering into a cattle barn area and scooting down a little alleyway, I thought I was home free. Then up drove the official State Fair Grounds vehicle. I smiled and walked up to the car and said hello. The first thing I said was how excited I was to be here after so many years and that I grew up there as a kid. Not sure if my pleasantries helped but I was blessed that the two older guys in the car said it was cool and that all they wanted to do was "see who was flying". I've posted here a few times about the unnecessary hostility of those who hate our hobby. In fact, for me, that is what is my objective is. A hobby. I think for a lot of us, that's the case. Unfortunately, others see it as an invasion of privacy. One post I offered a while back was called "Five Reasons I am Allowed to Fly Here". I would love to have someone who is well-versed in FAA regulations, write a concise 3X5 reference card for a recreational drone pilot to refer to when the want-to-be-cop security guard threatens a well-meaning Mavic flyer with a penalty.

Yeah, something in plain English would be nice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair