DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extenders - My Experience

sethjamto

Reactions
I recently bought these Range Extenders from Amazon. I did a test run with the MM without the extenders here at my work and made it about 3700ft without them installed before I lost video signal and RTH. I then put the extenders on and made another run the same direction. At 5500ft I still had a great signal and perfect video feed. I turned around at that point because that is the farthest I've flown it, but it got me a solid 2000 extra feet in my location (rural). I'm sure I could have gotten more too. I did notice, though, that you really have to keep the antennas pointed at the drone though or signal can drop off quick. I actually started losing video feed after my 5500ft run by letting the drone fly past me and I didn't turn around to point the antenna at it and started loosing signal with it just 500ft away! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing, definitely helped with video feed at great distances. The controller and mini signal bars remained the same, but video feed was improved no doubt.

Just ordered a set based from your experience, appreciate you sharing.

Thanks!
Paul

I recently bought these Range Extenders from Amazon. I did a test run with the MM without the extenders here at my work and made it about 3700ft without them installed before I lost video signal and RTH. I then put the extenders on and made another run the same direction. At 5500ft I still had a great signal and perfect video feed. I turned around at that point because that is the farthest I've flown it, but it got me a solid 2000 extra feet in my location (rural). I'm sure I could have gotten more too. I did notice, though, that you really have to keep the antennas pointed at the drone though or signal can drop off quick. I actually started losing video feed after my 5500ft run by letting the drone fly past me and I didn't turn around to point the antenna at it and started loosing signal with it just 500ft away! LOL
Which range extenders did you use. I do not see a hyperlink on my tablet view of you post for some reason. I have wanted to purchase a range extender as I fly in a rural area but not sure which one to get, the reflective type or the yagi type. It seems the yagi type only come from China and right now, it takes so long to get anything from China. Thanks for any help you can give.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

That's good, but I think it is really up to the place you are flying. In my real world experience, that kind of extender didn't improve anything. I only had a good result with the Yagi.

Reactions: aeropic and fificap
That's good, but I think it is really up to the place you are flying. In my real world experience, that kind of extender didn't improve anything. I only had a good result with the Yagi.
Thank you, appreciate the information. Any particular one you recommend.

Thank you, appreciate the information. Any particular one you recommend.

The ones made in China, so 99% of the market, are poorly made. Luckily the look doesn't have an impact on the functionality.
The 2.4 GHz are more difficult to be found on eBay/Amazon/Banggood...

By the way, this one looks cool:
s-l1600.jpg

What’s your flight environment like? I’m lucky to get 2,000ft with or without range extenders. I typically fly in state parks with good clearance.

I am getting between 3500 feet to 4000 feet range which is as far as I normally want to go but it would be nice to have a stronger signal and not be at edge of it. Also, I find that I mostly if not always fly in the 5.8 range so does the mini ever fly in 2.4Ghz? Is there a need to have a 2.4Ghz?

Also, I find that I mostly if not always fly in the 5.8 range so does the mini ever fly in 2.4Ghz? Is there a need to have a 2.4Ghz?

Yes, 2.4 does allow longer distances in a low interference area.

Not sure where you are from and what Flight Controller model you have but North America (FCC) has only one frequency (5.8) can't switch but at a higher power (more range) than Europe (CE) which switches between 2.4 and 5.8.

North America Flight Controller - Model MR1SS5: 5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)

Europe Flight Controller - Model MR1SD25: 2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE) / 5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

Hope that helps. But don't ask me what 2500 m SRRC (Square-Root Raised Cosine) is about....

For these reflectors to work, the distance between the antenna and the reflection surface is critical because the reflected wave must be in phase with that radiated from the antenna so that the radio energy is reinforced instead of cancelled. My Mini only runs on 5.8 GHz and it works very well. May be those who claim that it doesn't work can check which frequency band their Mini are working on ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS