DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extenders

SoCalSteve

Reactions
I see some kits with these black or white gold mirrored cups claiming to extend the range of your drone. Do these work? Are they worth the couple of bucks? How much more distance are you getting with them?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Most of them are just to focus the controller signal... it will reach farther, but becomes very directional so must be pointed at the drone. Truthfully with my stock CS and M2P I have 4-5 bar signal out to maybe 3 miles which, even at dawn or dusk, is the extreme of my VLOS.

I have tried them. My results......Well I actually don't have good results. One day, On a sunny cloudless day I tried them out for the first time. I was amazed how far the drone went out. The flight was agonizing because my concentration was keeping the antenna s aligned with the Mavic so I lost the feeling of enjoying the flight. The second time using them was on a sunny but cloudy day and it seemed to be not working like the first time using them. So I use them just for experimentation use only.

While range extension is "fun" for some people, there's not a lot of application for it in reality. It's a great way to lose a drone, or violate the law by flying way out of LOS. Not worth the trouble IMHO

One of the consideration regarding range extenders is the fact that - to my knowledge - no systems are offered to enhance the signal from the copter to the remote. All the kits that I am aware of involve the slip on types mentioned here, as well as actual modifications to the remote, up to and including battery boost systems.

And I have some experience with this, as I modified my P4 original remote to allow the use of a Maxx UAV antenna panel (non-boosted), and although I was able to maintain consistent signal strength a little further out over the water (where I typically fly), ultimately, the copter's downlink became the weak link, and using a directional antenna does come with the added responsibility of keeping it pointed toward the copter at all times. For me, the big benefit was the few times I flew over and around trees and whatnot. In those cases, as long as I kept the panel facing toward the copter, the signal maintained reliably.

With my M2P, I would never consider any type of range extender though. I find its signal to be rock solid with a full 1080P downlink a lot further out than I ever sent my P4..

While range extension is "fun" for some people, there's not a lot of application for it in reality. It's a great way to lose a drone, or violate the law by flying way out of LOS. Not worth the trouble IMHO

Well legally they're violating the law simply using the extenders. In most countries output is specified as an ERP which is the output power AND antenna. So increasing antenna gain increases that figure...
A lot of cheap amps in hardware actually make things worse. They distort the waveform and overdrive a lot of internals that the power is more but signal quality is lower so range is actually LESS.

Reactions: RTKD
I've always thought that the Mavic series (especially with OcuSync 2) is more limited by battery life than range. In every extreme range test scenario I've watched on YT the drone had to return home due to low battery and not losing signal. I mean, 5 miles out? You are strictly relying on INS and camera stream at that range.

I see some kits with these black or white gold mirrored cups claiming to extend the range of your drone. Do these work? Are they worth the couple of bucks? How much more distance are you getting with them?
Yes, windsurfers work. Yes, they are worth $17. They will support the full advertised 5 mile range of the M2. Technically, they aren't increasing the range, but they are concentrating the directionality and the stability of the signal, so they are "effectively" increasing the range in areas of lots of interference. Nothing illegal about their use. Most of the answers you have received have nothing to do with windsurfers, which is clearly all you were asking about.

Reactions: Racin8de
Do you really need the extra range? I don't think I would bother unless I was getting dropouts.

Hope someone can help me with a question about range. My Mavic2 does not even come close to the specs. No matter where I fly, somewhere around 2000' distance I start getting notices of "weak signal, adjust antenna". Somewhere between 2000' and 3000' I lose signal altogether. What could be limiting my range? Is it more likely a problem with the aircraft, or with the remote control, or with my iPhone, or even with external factors like satellites, wifi, or cellular?!?

Hope someone can help me with a question about range. My Mavic2 does not even come close to the specs. No matter where I fly, somewhere around 2000' distance I start getting notices of "weak signal, adjust antenna". Somewhere between 2000' and 3000' I lose signal altogether. What could be limiting my range? Is it more likely a problem with the aircraft, or with the remote control, or with my iPhone, or even with external factors like satellites, wifi, or cellular?!?
I get full strength out to at least a mile and a half even with high voltage power lines at 1 mile out. Good control to over 2 miles.
Try w/o the phone as one test. How many days does it tell you it has? ... >10 and you should be golden. Be sure antennae are positioned correctly and extended. Try a different controller and/or phone... phone being reasonably current and software up to date. This is how to answer your last question

Reactions: marcorasi1960
I get full strength out to at least a mile and a half even with high voltage power lines at 1 mile out. Good control to over 2 miles.
Try w/o the phone as one test. How many days does it tell you it has? ... >10 and you should be golden. Be sure antennae are positioned correctly and extended. Try a different controller and/or phone... phone being reasonably current and software up to date. This is how to answer your last question
Thanks! One clarification though... what do you mean when you say 'How many days does it tell you it has?' Days?

Do you have clear, unobstructed LOS everywhere you are flying past 3000 feet? Have you tried flying from an elevated location, where there are no obstructions out to the rated 5 miles?

I fly with clear and unobstructed LOS. Sometimes in 'cluttered' places, like in town; and sometimes in really 'clean' places, like over water or in remote countryside. It does not seem to make a difference. I guess my 'mysterious range limiter' kicks in before the 'interference' from the clutter kicks in. I have not tried to fly from an elevated location, because I live in an ultra-flat place. But it's something I will try... I can go to a parking lot on top of a building.

Sounds like you might have a defective unit. Careful about parking lot rooftops. They often have lots of rebar hidden in the concrete that can mess with the compass. Fly from as close to the edge of the roof as possible, and consider hand launching to get it well above the concrete. Good luck!

They work for me I got about another half a mile in the city

But get the one with little rubber grommets around the holes otherwise without the rubber they just the range extender slides off too easily

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato