DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extending

alan860

Reactions
I know this has probably been discussed to death. But has anyone tried using the drone-hacks.com method of making a UK (CE) Mini transmit strength higher power (FCC Mode)?

Is it worth doing or just a pointless exercise? I suspect there is probably more capabilities in that software but only really thinking of extending the range of my mini. I keep chickening out of sending it in long trips incase it goes on its own.

I've not heard of anyone having any success with extending the CE MM range via drone-hacks software. Not to say it can't be done, though.

On the other hand, I've seen countless stories of the range being extended significantly with cheap 3rd party parabolic reflectors or clip on yagi-style antennas to focus the signal more into a beam.

I find that the Mini can quite easily reach the UK legal range limit of 500m.

I'm not fully into it, but I have "spoke" to a few involved with Drone-Hacks including the main developer. Does not the Mini have two models? One sold in Europe which is CE only (Hardware) and one that is North America which is FCC, but is the normal DJI that is GPS dependent on power output? Which would mean it would drop power in EU.

I can say that for sure Drone Hacks know their stuff ( I used their software to break into a M2Z) and if they say they can boost output, I have no doubt they can and do. But I do not know if their software only works for the FCC version had it be in Europe on VaCa ;)

Edit: Bad news and good news. Confirmed that the software they have for CE to FCC will NOT work on a CE model version. HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,

Their "BOOST" mode does. So you can jump right over FCC and go higher!!!! I would however use that mode sparingly, when used on other DJI it involves a bit of heat and all that involves in electronics. I obviously don't have to caution you that using FCC or "Boost" is highly illegal in your area as well, so you have that on you if you chose to use ;)

This hack will change your drone from CE mode to FCC mode or even Boost mode for even more flight distance.
FCC mode has a higher power output than CE mode.
Boost mode will allow the highest RC output possible!
CE mode is <=20dBm (100mW)
FCC mode is <=26dBm (<400mW)
Boost maximum is 1.8W or 1800mW
Mavic Mini: We can enable boost mode on Mavic Mini (there is no FCC hack for CE mini, only Boost mode!). For the Mavic Mini there is also no specific Watt values, it will just power up your Remote Controller to the maximum possible. Due to different hardware the results for boost mode will be different on CE and FCC models.
Note: Your maximum flight distance is a combination of your transmit power and your local RF environment. FCC and Boost mode should give you more range, but if you live in a heavily populated urban area the effects may be limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: sch and alan860
Edit: Bad news and good news. Confirmed that the software they have for CE to FCC will NOT work on a CE model version. HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,
You're right and you are wrong!
Their software changes the value of country from actual one (e.g. UK or DE) to an undefined (ZZ) and blocks the parameter of country changing. This increases the transmission power (txpower) of the controller from (UK/DE)=8 to (ZZ)=12. This is what they call a boost!
Of course it increases the flight range on CE-Version, not so signifficant as on FCC-Version, but it does!.
U can make all this parameter changes without drone-hacks software as well - search for
"DJI Mini, RC root access easily for FCC Boost" Tutorial on YT!

Reactions: alan860
Thankyou everyone.

@gloover, so you reckon the boosted transmission is more powerful than an unboosted FCC one? So without any parayagi or anything I’d be looking at around a 4kn range?

Their software changes the value of country from actual one (e.g. UK or DE) to an undefined (ZZ) and blocks the parameter of country changing. This increases the transmission power (txpower) of the controller from (UK/DE)=8 to (ZZ)=12. This is what they call a boost!
Of course it increases the flight range on CE-Version, not so signifficant as on FCC-Version, but it does!.
U can make all this parameter changes without drone-hacks software as well - search for
Does the boost also work on FCC remote?

First i had only fcc. It goes 1km more with Sunnylife antennas.
But I had some interruptions in the video transmission.
With the RC Boost I have no problem with that. Smooth transmission.

Reactions: sch
Does the boost also work on FCC remote?
Yes, it also works with FCC-Controller. On FCC you get txpower=15, changing the country to "ZZ" or 22 if you set "US".

@alan860
I have not claimed that the boostet CE controller is more powerfull, that an unboosted FCC. FCC Version of mini is and stay more powerfull! With the controller boost you get the best out of it.

Reactions: AlamHK
@gloover. Have you ever carried out that mod?

I’m struggling with it as nothing happens when I connect my RC. Is the network connector it mentions just the standard USB cable that fits in the charging port? Any written ‘how to’ anywhere that may be easier to follow?

Guys, is anyone here that has modified the drone parameters with drone-hacks? I want to ask something i noticed. Thanks

Yes, it also works with FCC-Controller. On FCC you get txpower=15, changing the country to "ZZ" or 22 if you set "US".

@alan860
I have not claimed that the boostet CE controller is more powerfull, that an unboosted FCC. FCC Version of mini is and stay more powerfull! With the controller boost you get the best out of it.
Thanks. How does the boost mode (txpower 22) compare to normal FCC hack?

Reactions: fificap
I’m going to have a play with them later. What did u notice?
when the drone hover if i turn left-right without move it from that point, only yaw, the drone up and down without any command, for a little, around half a meter. I only tested inside, so without gps

I've played around with a few of the parameters (mainly gimbal_follow and max tilt parameters), but not noticed any strange up/down movement, either with or without GPS.

I've played around with a few of the parameters (mainly gimbal_follow and max tilt parameters), but not noticed any strange up/down movement, either with or without GPS.
this is what i changed, first column is the default value and the last is what i wrote now, could be anything from there to cause this behavior?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 157
I'm not fully into it, but I have "spoke" to a few involved with Drone-Hacks including the main developer. Does not the Mini have two models? One sold in Europe which is CE only (Hardware) and one that is North America which is FCC, but is the normal DJI that is GPS dependent on power output? Which would mean it would drop power in EU.

I can say that for sure Drone Hacks know their stuff ( I used their software to break into a M2Z) and if they say they can boost output, I have no doubt they can and do. But I do not know if their software only works for the FCC version had it be in Europe on VaCa ;)

Their "BOOST" mode does. So you can jump right over FCC and go higher!!!! I would however use that mode sparingly, when used on other DJI it involves a bit of heat and all that involves in electronics. I obviously don't have to caution you that using FCC or "Boost" is highly illegal in your area as well, so you have that on you if you chose to use ;)

This hack will change your drone from CE mode to FCC mode or even Boost mode for even more flight distance.
FCC mode has a higher power output than CE mode.
Boost mode will allow the highest RC output possible!
CE mode is FCC mode is Boost maximum is 1.8W or 1800mW
Mavic Mini: We can enable boost mode on Mavic Mini (there is no FCC hack for CE mini, only Boost mode!). For the Mavic Mini there is also no specific Watt values, it will just power up your Remote Controller to the maximum possible. Due to different hardware the results for boost mode will be different on CE and FCC models.
Note: Your maximum flight distance is a combination of your transmit power and your local RF environment. FCC and Boost mode should give you more range, but if you live in a heavily populated urban area the effects may be limited.
Hi

I have done the drone-hacks to go to boost mode on a M2p

2 questions.

1. What is the negative you referring to about heat ?
2. How do you confirm what mode you on?

Have you ever carried out that mod?

I’m struggling with it as nothing happens when I connect my RC. Is the network connector it mentions just the standard USB cable that fits in the charging port? Any written ‘how to’ anywhere that may be easier to follow?
Of course I've carried out this changes on my RC - I have also compared the values, which I've wrote above.
You cannot "simply" connect the RC with an USB-Cable to your PC - as shown in the video, you need a "network connection!!" - not "direct connection!". To establish the network connection you need a LAN-USB adapter (not just any one - only AX88772 chipsets are supported) - connect it to an OTG-Micro-USB and this one to your RC.

Yes, I saw the video, the telenet does the job to connect the RC and change the value. I guess DH is the same as telenet to communicate witht he RC without using the USB network adaptor.

I tried serveral setup in order to obtain permenant FCC mode, so yesterday I made downgrade on both RC and flght into ver 300 firmware, also using the old DJI Fly app 1.1. Then using fake GPS to tuen on FCC mode, I can see 11 ch on the screen. Then using DH to switch to boost mode in order to get FCC permenantly. It works!

Then I upgrade both to ver400 and see will the FCC mode disable itself, I can see 11ch as well.
Finally, I upgrade the DJI fly to latest version, same thing, 11 ch!!!

Why did I downgrade? I was using DH on ver 500 and dji fly 1.1.6, but it shown 13 ch and I checked with DH support, they said what should I expect to see!!!!! I got no RF meter how can I know the boost mode was on!!!

So I'm pretty sure the DH is kind of communication software to change the country parameter instead of using RC root hack.

Reactions: RainyShadow and sch

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S