DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range issues?

rydude123

Reactions
I was flying in my neighborhood, zooming around at about 120 meters, when it started to lose connection about 600 meters away. Is that normal or is something wrong with the transmission.

I was flying in my neighborhood, zooming around at about 120 meters, when it started to lose connection about 600 meters away. Is that normal or is something wrong with the transmission.

With heavy interference yes. From my backyard I can get 3000m in one direction and no more than 700m in another direction.

It all depends how is your neighborhood... around mine it goes up to 1800mts and then it starts losing connection... some others can go up to 6km without trouble.. but if it's a really crowded place it can significantly reduce the range.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I live in a smaller, rural neighborhood with only ~75 houses. I get 600 meter distance in all directions before losing connection. It's definitely when I get over the heavily forested area that I have issues. Haven't been able to test anywhere else as of yet.

Once mine gets here I'll test it to 3 miles. It's got a few 80+ foot pines, but mostly just tall shrubs.

I did my MA1 distance test over water, I about had a heart attack the whole time... I'll be going over land this time.

My best distance so far was 2.8 miles. That was in the suburbs at a high elevation.

I have hit 17,000 feet twice and both times I had it back to me with around 30% battery so I could have gone further. Just wasn't in the mood to push it with a new drone. This is flying W/NW into a slight breeze with ideal terrain and almost no buildings in the area of the flight. Flying in less than ideal terrain and/or near lots of buildings substantially reduces the range I get.

I once hit 16,000+ on my Mini using the same flight path, but that time I had to emergency land in my uncle's farm field about 1,000 feet short of home.

I was able to do over 19000 feet and could have done more but for battery warnings. This was in a very rural area with direct line of sight. If I fly from home (more densely populated area), with trees in the way and most likely other radio interference , my range also drops drastically.

I've flown it twice and the connection doesn't feel much better than the mini tbh I'm almost ready to return this thing if DJI doesn't fix the bs already.

No gimbal speed adjustment? Occusync 11km my ***. My mav 1 pro will outfly this thing anywhere i take it, so will my p4p.

Upsetting. It felt solid.
hoping firmware fixes quickly or it's going back.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I have had same issue. I always check transmission before I fly. Last location was rural country. I made it almost a mile, and had to rth, due to weak signal. Transmission showed no interference before take off. That’s furthest I have got.

These are great numbers and, as a new pilot, I’m a bit confused. My understanding is that we have to maintain VLOS at all times. Did I get this wrong?

Aim your controller at the drone (not your guns! lol ). That will improve your score. VLOS is the rule most countries these days, your rules may vary!:p

Reactions: noyade233
These are great numbers and, as a new pilot, I’m a bit confused. My understanding is that we have to maintain VLOS at all times. Did I get this wrong?
In theory yes you are supposed to keep vlos and/or have a spotter but really who is going to fly within los at all times? Some sure but the majority no way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143