DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range questions

stevenobrien129a

Reactions
Hi everyone new to the mavic mini and drone using so have a quick question regarding range, I can only really get 700 metres from. My mini before the signal starts to go, today it lost signal. All together started flying back and landed in a field fail safe return didn't kick in at all, is there anythi g I should be doing to improve range as some videos on YouTube have the drone flying 3 or 4 miles from the user? Thanks for your help

Hi everyone new to the mavic mini and drone using so have a quick question regarding range, I can only really get 700 metres from. My mini before the signal starts to go, today it lost signal. All together started flying back and landed in a field fail safe return didn't kick in at all, is there anythi g I should be doing to improve range as some videos on YouTube have the drone flying 3 or 4 miles from the user? Thanks for your help
The experts will soon give you a reply.
I'm just curious how 3 or 4 miles the drone could be seen. I guess in flat terrain like desert miles would be safe enough to avoid signal interference.
I look forward to this thread ahead.
?

Reactions: lannes
This pretty much explains it

700m is pretty good

Make sure you haven't limited the flight distance in DJI Fly app and you should get more range theoretically if you use the 2.4 ghz frequencies in the countryside.
Some members have said putting the phone into airplane mode helps but you will loose mapping unless you have previously cached it.
In an urban environment don't expect much range due to wi-fi interference.

On the failed RTH, was the home point set before the drone took off ?

Last edited:
have a quick question regarding range, I can only really get 700 metres from. My mini before the signal starts to go, today it lost signal. All together started flying back and landed in a field fail safe return didn't kick in at all, is there anythi g I should be doing to improve range as some videos on YouTube have the drone flying 3 or 4 miles from the user?
Good morning Steven,
The range of the CE model is about 2 km. You can get more or you can get less based on several factors like:
a) Where you fly it (Rural or urban areas). Rural translates to minimal or zero interference from other WiFi signals and Urban translates to noisy environment with lots on interference from others.
b) The frequency band. On 2.4 Ghz you have 2 km range and on 5.8 Ghz you get about 500m range.
c) Antenna positioning. If the antenna is positioned according to the manual on page 29, the signal propagation is optimal. The flat surface of the antenna needs to be 90C (perpendicular) to the Drone.
1579504765774.png

As for what you see on YouTube:
1. Those who achieved these numbers with 2 Km in CE and 4 KM in FCC or even a couple of hundred meters more are flying stock, and they fly where there is zero interference (rural) and have the antennas oriented in the optimal way.
2. Those who fly more are using mods like directional panel antennas and amplifiers. With these you can achieve a lot more. You can see several threads in this forum like this example Mavic Mini LR with 2.4/5.8G booster

As for the other point of RTH failing, please read the manual on Page 12 and 13. Depending on of the given situation of what you saw, you might find an explanation, otherwise, please share your log and some Log expert will take a look. The procedure of finding and uploading is can be found here: Flight log retrieval and analysis guide

I'm just curious how 3 or 4 miles the drone could be seen. I guess in flat terrain like desert miles would be safe enough to avoid signal interference.
Well, on a sunny or clouded day, you just can't. Or at least not without a strobe and very good eyesight. Several users have posted about this, I myself included as I am not wearing glasses, consider to have a good eyesight according to the annual tests and still fail to see it in the sky on a sunny day at 300m distance as it blends in perfectly. ;)

Examples:

Last edited:
Even if one had the drone in sight at these fantastic distances I doubt very seriously that they could control it in any effective manner except straight down...

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka