DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range

hydroboss

Reactions
Hi all
New to the group as a member but have benefitted greatly reading posts in the last couple years.
I realize that electrical lines and houses can effect the range of my mini 2, but should it really only go about 3000 feet ini this environment before losing the signal? For a drone that is supposed to get 3-6 miles of range this seems a little extreme. I’m not talking about a metropolis either I’m talking about a community of maybe 2000 people, but maybe it’s the powerlines? They are all above ground

Reactions: a2tomm
Is the line of sight clear? No trees no nothing between you and the drone?

Reactions: drhitch54
You need to understand its Max Value first by going to a lake with a perfect field of view and if the drone fails the testing points you will know to return the drone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Hi all
New to the group as a member but have benefitted greatly reading posts in the last couple years.
I realize that electrical lines and houses can effect the range of my mini 2, but should it really only go about 3000 feet ini this environment before losing the signal? For a drone that is supposed to get 3-6 miles of range this seems a little extreme. I’m not talking about a metropolis either I’m talking about a community of maybe 2000 people, but maybe it’s the powerlines? They are all above ground
Wish I could see my Mini at 3000 ft, cheers Len

As your drone approaches 7000 ft away it’s important to complain…”Jeez…I can baretly see that thing! I hope it doesn’t run into that swarm of mosquitos ahead,.,..” or “wow…did you see that sparrow almost attacked my drone. Thats odd for a sparrow!” LoL

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I would say 2 miles range is quite good. I've never done a job that required that kind of range. And if I were flying for the fun of it, I wouldn't be flying that far away (even if it were allowed). :)

You need to understand its Max Value first by going to a lake with a perfect field of view and if the drone fails the testing points you will know to return the drone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the
As your drone approaches 7000 ft away it’s important to complain…”Jeez…I can baretly see that thing! I hope it doesn’t run into that swarm of mosquitos ahead,.,..” or “wow…did you see that sparrow almost attacked my drone. Thats odd for a sparrow!” LoL
That’s happened 50 feet away. The camera and video feed is the same 59 or 3000 feet away

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I would say 2 miles range is quite good. I've never done a job that required that kind of range. And if I were flying for the fun of it, I wouldn't be flying that far away (even if it were allowed). :)
I live In an area that if you want access to your drone with LOS to look at something, sometimes you have to go pretty far down canyon

I’m new so I could use some clarification. Hydroboss, are you saying your camera and video feed as your line of sight?

Last edited:
Um. OK.
Do you know that Visual Line of Sight, (VLOS), which is required by the FAA, means your own eyes on the drone at all times? This is opposed to the camera on the drone that is not your eye but the drones eye?

Last edited:
Hi all
It really just depends. Even a few trees can have a big effect on signal if they are particularly close to you. Also, the height of the drone will be a big factor, particularly as you get pretty far out. In a relatively built-up environment, with trees and hills and all that, I don't find 3000ft to be that short a range. If you were flying over a lake with zero obstructions, then it would seem like there's another issue affecting your signal.

Um. OK.
Do you know that Visual Line of Sight, (VLOS), which is required by the FAA, means your own eyes on the drone at all times? This is opposed to the camera on the drone that is not your eye but the drones eye?
SeaPig, respectfully and I think I know what your intent is; but for the benefit of the newer pilots reading this, I don’t think the FAA would agree with the “at all times” part. The FAA intent is that you should be able to look up from your screen and see the drone and its direction (VLOS) (which is probably what you intended to say). Otherwise, how are you going to see altitude, warnings, or compose your shot or video etc.

For ready reference

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

Reactions: SeaPig and Dbez1
SeaPig, respectfully and I think I know what your intent is; but for the benefit of the newer pilots reading this, I don’t think the FAA would agree with the “at all times” part. The FAA intent is that you should be able to look up from your screen and see the drone and its direction (VLOS) (which is probably what you intended to say). Otherwise, how are you going to see altitude, warnings, or compose your shot or video etc.
Right. I think the word "able" is important in the reg.

Reactions: SeaPig and Dbez1
Excellent point DBez1 and thank you for this clarification,

Honestly how could you not look at both to be as situationally aware as possible.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU