DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rare Footage of Bird Crashing Into Flight Instructor's Cockpit

dirkclod

Reactions
Not sure if this has been posted so let me know if it has. Was just posted in PP and moved it here.
From YT /
Published on Jan 11, 2019

An Air Force flight instructor and his student are flying at 400 miles per hour just above Randolph Air Force Base when they're struck by a bird. A frantic struggle ensues as they try to regain control.

Duplicate post, shutting this thread down;) oh I had to do it:D:D:D sorry dirkThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: Porky
Average mass of a Texan Black Vulture is 4.7 lbs. It's a small vulture, by vulture standards.

Oh, that isn’t the type of bird I’m familiar with...I was thinking more along the lines of blackbirds and blue tits, etc,;)

Not sure if this has been posted so let me know if it has. Was just posted in PP and moved it here.
From YT /

An Air Force flight instructor and his student are flying at 400 miles per hour just above Randolph Air Force Base when they're struck by a bird. A frantic struggle ensues as they try to regain control.

Rare footage and rare conditions, yes. Thanks for sharing. Of course aircraft of all types hit birds every day. They’re a common flight insurance payout for aviation insurers. Can definitely ruin your day — or even threaten your life on rare occasion (eg Sully).

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Yes it is rare to see just what that bird did . Made a mess in that cockpit and they were lucky none of the
canopy hit em.

I had a bird strike at around 3000' one night at 200 mph and it certainly gets your attention. Quite loud and I never even knew what it was until I got on the ground and saw the remains plastered on my cockpit and prop. I was fortunate that there was no physical damage but it took a while to clean the exterior surfaces of the aircraft.

Nelson

It was interesting how much time you could see the bird on the crappy cockpit video. I would have thought it would only be a couple of frames at 400 mph.

That's what many people assume and insist is true - that a pilot would never see a bird or drone-sized object at 200 mph, let alone 400 mph. It doesn't matter how many times it's demonstrated by simple geometric scaling considerations that it's wrong. This video might help dispel that myth.

Rare footage and rare conditions, yes. Thanks for sharing. Of course aircraft of all types hit birds every day. They’re a common flight insurance payout for aviation insurers. Can definitely ruin your day — or even threaten your life on rare occasion (eg Sully).
Imagine how the bird feels.

I blame the AF for sending their pilots on a mission at 500 ft in a bird infested area! The bird had a right to be there and the AF jet as the overtaking craft should have given way to the B1rd.

Back in the 80s, a RAAF P3 Orion also had a nasty incident off the west coast of Australia. A flock of pelicans flying line astern struck the radome. The first bird punctured the radome and destroyed the radar. The next two penetrated the forward pressure bulkhead, destroying the instrument panel, covered the flight deck crew in blood, guts and feathers and spraying bits of pelican down as far as the sono package.

Orion_A9_291_KG1_sized.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
From YT /

How in the world have I missed this thread and this video? LOL!

Great share dirk :) I still can't believe it's been here a year :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder