DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rates for Real Estate Flights

rmoran8994

Reactions
I have my Part 107, and I had a real estate agent ask me to get some photos and video for a listing. This is a first for me, and I am not sure what to say when we start talking about compensation. What is the going rate for this? How do I value my services?

My minimum to show up for a first time client is $250 for up to 1.5 hrs work at the site then charge for 20 minute blocks after that. If they become a regular I work it down a bit from there. I also charge for travel anything over 15 miles. There are those who will work for less, but not me.

I have my Part 107, and I had a real estate agent ask me to get some photos and video for a listing. This is a first for me, and I am not sure what to say when we start talking about compensation. What is the going rate for this? How do I value my services?
There are several variables that come into play.

1. How much experience one has
2. What is the competition offering
3. How much you need to make money (net after expenses).
4. Distance to the job.

Like any business, if you can't make money, get out! Know your worth while remaining competitive.
When I first started I actually did a couple of "freebies" to establish a portfolio. Now, I concentrate on the net income.

That's not the type of question that is easily answered on an International (or Country wide) forum (nor should it be).

Business pricing is derived from many variables and most are fairly unique to YOUR business and are fairly "regional". By that I mean what it costs me to operate my company for a day here in western North Carolina probably isn't the same as where you are in Kansas. Giving you my rates could potentially ruin your chances of getting off the ground (pun intended) in the first place. You need to know what is currently "acceptable" in your part of Kansas and it's going to take some effort and time on your behalf to find that out. Also you need to know how much time you're going to be spending in Post Processing, Editing, Finalizing, Delivering etc.

We Shoot to acquire DATA. (Travel to site, time at site, travel back to office)
We process the DATA at the office.
We outsource some of our edits and do some in-house. I know how much each costs.
Edited DATA is then processed into our system, named, cataloged, and then uploaded to a secure CLOUD platform for ease of delivery to our clients.
We create invoices, send invoices, and collect payment.
We track invoices/payments etc and enter then into our Backoffice system.

We pay for editing software (Video and Picture), Cloud Software, Backup Software, Accounting Software, and Image/Video Delivery software just to name a few. That doesn't even start to touch the software we pay for in terms of FLIGHT and SAFETY.

I've been helping Small Business Owners for several years and the very first thing you should do when considering a business (before you even spend the first penny) is develop a strong and comprehensive Business Plan (BP). I'm not talking about the 1-page template you get on Google but a in-depth plan that includes:
  • Detailed Business Description
  • Market Analysis
  • Marketing Plan
  • Competition Analysis
  • Organization Description
  • Products & Services Details
  • Financial Projections (Cost and Income)

From this BP you'll actually know how much it's going to cost to start the business, how much you SHOULD charge per operating hour, what your competition charges, and hopefully what your local market will "handle" in terms of charging.

It's VERY important to define and understand some key points of your business:
What unique skills (not equipment) do you bring to the table? Merely owning a Mavic and having Part 107 does not make you an Aerial Photographer.

Are you able to provide a quality product that exceeds Johnny's nephew in middle school who just bought the new DJI Mini 2? Your product will be your calling card and if it doesn't scream WOW you're only setting yourself up for failure and a bad reputation. It any market it's hard to overcome a bad rep but in Real Estate (thats one of the most NETWORKING group of professionals I've ever dealt with.) it's even tougher. They talk to each other a LOT! The only thing they won't talk about is sharing their "Secret Weapon" etc. If you're lucky, you will end up being that Secret Weapon one day that helps them save/make more $$.

What is your Cost of Doing Business(CODB) per day? Per Hour?

On top of CODB how much do you need to make each day to stay in business?

A "real" Business Plan takes time, effort, and in some cases $$ to do and do it right. The good part is it could change the course of your business from the start. Example: When we started developing ours, we had an idea of what to charge per "shoot". After we completed the Business Plan we realized our fees were too LOW! We actually started the business WHILE developing the BP and after we completed it we significantly increased our rates. Strangely enough, our amount of business (and of course profit) immediately started to increase. Our rates were not in line with what others doing similar work were charging so by having a LOW rate seemed to imply "Less Quality" or something like that. We increased our rates, did an Ad Campaign advertising new rates, and within weeks we were booking with clients who had otherwise not given us a 2nd look. It's key to note we had a strong background in Photography prior to "Drones" so we weren't starting "green" in both Drones & Photography at the same time. You've got to have something other than a DRONE to stand out in the market. If you don't stand out you probably won't get hired.

Starting any type of business adventure without a detailed Business Plan is a lot like starting a cross country trip with no itinerary or map. Yea you'll probably get "SOMEWHERE" eventually and do some things along the way but it's probably not where you wanted to go and probably not going to be doing what you WANT to be doing.

Good luck :)

Allen

Last edited:
That's not the type of question that is easily answered on an International (or Country wide) forum (nor should it be).

Business pricing is derived from many variables and most are fairly unique to YOUR business and are fairly "regional". By that I mean what it costs me to operate my company for a day here in western North Carolina probably isn't the same as where you are in Kansas. Giving you my rates could potentially ruin your chances of getting off the ground (pun intended) in the first place. You need to know what is currently "acceptable" in your part of Kansas and it's going to take some effort and time on your behalf to find that out. Also you need to know how much time you're going to be spending in Post Processing, Editing, Finalizing, Delivering etc.

We Shoot to acquire DATA. (Travel to site, time at site, travel back to office)
We process the DATA at the office.
We outsource some of our edits and do some in-house. I know how much each costs.
Edited DATA is then processed into our system, named, cataloged, and then uploaded to a secure CLOUD platform for ease of delivery to our clients.
We create invoices, send invoices, and collect payment.
We track invoices/payments etc and enter then into our Backoffice system.

We pay for editing software (Video and Picture), Cloud Software, Backup Software, Accounting Software, and Image/Video Delivery software just to name a few. That doesn't even start to touch the software we pay for in terms of FLIGHT and SAFETY.

I've been helping Small Business Owners for several years and the very first thing you should do when considering a business (before you even spend the first penny) is develop a strong and comprehensive Business Plan (BP). I'm not talking about the 1-page template you get on Google but a in-depth plan that includes:
  • Detailed Business Description
  • Market Analysis
  • Marketing Plan
  • Competition Analysis
  • Organization Description
  • Products & Services Details
  • Financial Projections (Cost and Income)

From this BP you'll actually know how much it's going to cost to start the business, how much you SHOULD charge per operating hour, what your competition charges, and hopefully what your local market will "handle" in terms of charging.

It's VERY important to define and understand some key points of your business:
What unique skills (not equipment) do you bring to the table? Merely owning a Mavic and having Part 107 does not make you an Aerial Photographer.

Are you able to provide a quality product that exceeds Johnny's nephew in middle school who just bought the new DJI Mini 2? Your product will be your calling card and if it doesn't scream WOW you're only setting yourself up for failure and a bad reputation. It any market it's hard to overcome a bad rep but in Real Estate (thats one of the most NETWORKING group of professionals I've ever dealt with.) it's even tougher. They talk to each other a LOT! The only thing they won't talk about is sharing their "Secret Weapon" etc. If you're lucky, you will end up being that Secret Weapon one day that helps them save/make more $$.

What is your Cost of Doing Business(CODB) per day? Per Hour?

On top of CODB how much do you need to make each day to stay in business?

A "real" Business Plan takes time, effort, and in some cases $$ to do and do it right. The good part is it could change the course of your business from the start. Example: When we started developing ours, we had an idea of what to charge per "shoot". After we completed the Business Plan we realized our fees were too LOW! We actually started the business WHILE developing the BP and after we completed it we significantly increased our rates. Strangely enough, our amount of business (and of course profit) immediately started to increase. Our rates were not in line with what others doing similar work were charging so by having a LOW rate seemed to imply "Less Quality" or something like that. We increased our rates, did an Ad Campaign advertising new rates, and within weeks we were booking with clients who had otherwise not given us a 2nd look. It's key to note we had a strong background in Photography prior to "Drones" so we weren't starting "green" in both Drones & Photography at the same time. You've got to have something other than a DRONE to stand out in the market. If you don't stand out you probably won't get hired.

Starting any type of business adventure without a detailed Business Plan is a lot like starting a cross country trip with no itinerary or map. Yea you'll probably get "SOMEWHERE" eventually and do some things along the way but it's probably not where you wanted to go and probably not going to be doing what you WANT to be doing.

Good luck :)

Allen
I think the dude was just curious about what some people are charging for real estate photos. I don’t think he asked for the 1st. chapter of Intro To Entrepreneurship.

I think the dude was just curious about what some people are charging for real estate photos. I don’t think he asked for the 1st. chapter of Intro To Entrepreneurship.
This is a super old thread…

If you have nothing valid to add to the thread then why try to discourage someone else from providing detailed and experienced input? Seems kind of counter-productive and out-right RUDE! If you don't have anything constructive to post then skip it and move to a thread you can add content to.

Just because the advice is of no value to YOU doesn't mean that the OP or someone else reading the thread at a later date might not find value in the advice.

Allen

If you have nothing valid to add to the thread then why try to discourage someone else from providing detailed and experienced input? Seems kind of counter-productive and out-right RUDE! If you don't have anything constructive to post then skip it and move to a thread you can add content to.

Just because the advice is of no value to YOU doesn't mean that the OP or someone else reading the thread at a later date might not find value in the advice.

Allen
Amen, wish I made those words. lol

Reactions: CaptMax and BigAl07
There are several variables that come into play.

1. How much experience one has
2. What is the competition offering
3. How much you need to make money (net after expenses).
4. Distance to the job.

Like any business, if you can't make money, get out! Know your worth while remaining competitive.
When I first started I actually did a couple of "freebies" to establish a portfolio. Now, I concentrate on the net income.
Try starting with a third party contractor, to get an idea and to build your flight hours. Social media or some type of website should help as well. They want to see your work.

Definitely check what other drone companies are charging in your area. I found many real estate agents have their interior photographer do the drone work for an additional $50-$150 in my area which made it difficult to persuade them to hire me for more money.

Try to offer something that others are not and then you can charge a premium. Maybe $180 for an full edited 1-3 minute video. You could edit the photos with text and pinpoints to show off the neighborhood. Good luck!

This is a super old thread…

Waking these up, they get a new lease of life :)
And 'old' is relative to the 5 month old post :D
To you youngster it would seem like long ago, to many of us it's but a blip, lol.

The OP probably got the job, or lost it on discussing the terms.
Would have been good to know with a follow up (hint hint @rmoran8994 )

FWIW at this late stage, most RE agents want the whole RE package, ground (interior / exterior) and aerials if desired.
Very hard to break into it otherwise.

Definitely check what other drone companies are charging in your area. I found many real estate agents have their interior photographer do the drone work for an additional $50-$150 in my area which made it difficult to persuade them to hire me for more money.

Try to offer something that others are not and then you can charge a premium. Maybe $180 for an full edited 1-3 minute video. You could edit the photos with text and pinpoints to show off the neighborhood. Good luck!
Yeah, I'm a home inspector and am a member of the MLS in my area. Because of that I get lots of spam from providers targeted to Realtors. Here is what I got from someone who does lots of listing photography in my area. Drone photos by themselves for $99. Free, if you do listing photos for $160. Hard to compete with that.

Attachments

• 3B9F9478-473B-4B5F-86A3-CC704BB82280.jpeg
    3B9F9478-473B-4B5F-86A3-CC704BB82280.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 64
Yeah. The poor guy didn’t ask for guidance, just ball park numbers. Maybe 75.00 to show up within 10 miles. Then 50.00 dollars 1/2 hourly. Some people would want more I’m sure.

Reactions: tibadoe

Allen
Allen, you provided a detailed educational moment for the OP. If the OP only wants useless feedback from areas of the country that do apply to Kansas then fine. I have been a Realtor for decades. It would be irrelevant for me to answer a questions like "I am selling my house in Kansas so what does a 3 br ranch sell for in Manchester, NH?" The old apples and orange thing!!" I am not saying that is what the OP truly wants. I would think he/she appreciated your detailed feedback. I think "dude just wants to know" comes from someone who has never developed a long term business from the ground up. Allen, you always take the time based on your aviation/business background to assist others. Keep up the good work. Sadly you see it all on forums. I happen to think this one the best forums out there.

Good advice. "Local" market research. Talk to Realtors in your area. As others have said - most photographers offer both interior/ground based with aerial. That said there may be excellent photographers that are not into drones. It would be a score if you could hook up with a quality real estate photographer that does not do the drone side. Just a thought. Again, market research. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arasmus
Allen, you provided a detailed educational moment for the OP. If the OP only wants useless feedback from areas of the country that do apply to Kansas then fine. I have been a Realtor for decades. It would be irrelevant for me to answer a questions like "I am selling my house in Kansas so what does a 3 br ranch sell for in Manchester, NH?" The old apples and orange thing!!" I am not saying that is what the OP truly wants. I would think he/she appreciated your detailed feedback. I think "dude just wants to know" comes from someone who has never developed a long term business from the ground up. Allen, you always take the time based on your aviation/business background to assist others. Keep up the good work. Sadly you see it all on forums. I happen to think this one the best forums out there.

Thank you!! I try to give solid and founded advice that has been proven to work many times over. I would never give advice that I wouldn't take for myself and apply. Greatly appreciate your kind words.

Yeah. The poor guy didn’t ask for guidance, just ball park numbers. Maybe 75.00 to show up within 10 miles. Then 50.00 dollars 1/2 hourly. Some people would want more I’m sure.

Rule #1 in Creative Content Creation...Never EVER let someone else price your work. What I charge has no value to someone else. Different market, different talents, different equipment, different knowledge .....

I gave him some advice how to derive their own pricing and not just take some random # from the internet that could be totally way off base for their client/area.

Listen, if you don't want to read what I posted as advice (and it was very good, founded, and proven advice by the way) skip over any of my future posts and pretend like you never saw them. It's really that simple.

Yeah, I'm a home inspector and am a member of the MLS in my area. Because of that I get lots of spam from providers targeted to Realtors. Here is what I got from someone who does lots of listing photography in my area. Drone photos by themselves for $99. Free, if you do listing photos for $160. Hard to compete with that.

This comes to mind when I see this type of strategy . . .

No one ever undersold me.jpg

Allen

You know, I was going to let this go. But since I was recently quoted by another member, I'll respond. My apologies if you were offended. I was poking a little fun at how I saw his actual request (ball-parking numbers) vs. your extremely detailed, in-depth response. It was just supposed to be a humorous observation. Based on your reaction above, I see it didn't land so well. My apologies once again.

You know, I was going to let this go. But since I was recently quoted by another member, I'll respond. My apologies if you were offended. I was poking a little fun at how I saw his actual request (ball-parking numbers) vs. your extremely detailed, in-depth response. It was just supposed to be a humorous observation. Based on your reaction above, I see it didn't land so well. My apologies once again.
Mancave001. BigA107 is a true professional and really does offer professional advice. My replies were in his defense. Your reply shows you are a decent person. If we were all sitting at a table together this would have just been a smooth fun conversation. I again give you credit for your reply!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS