DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC brightness level is 700 nits... NOT as good as RC Pro

boldblue737

Reactions
Ok, the reviews are in. The new RC controller is 700 nits of brightness which is well below the brightness level of all the previous screen controllers DJI has released (including Smart Controller, RC Pro etc.) which were 1000+ or more nits. Most cellphones introduced in the last 12-24 months also tend to have peak brightness above 750+. The initial reviews say the RC screen is still great and bright enough (at least as honest as the "influencers" who got this early can be) but the RC Pro is still better.

Also the Mini 3 Pro is not compatible with the RC Pro right now. It remains to be seen if DJI will update the RC Pro to support it (I suspect they will but it always takes months...)

Last edited:
Surely the RC Pro beats the RC ...
Coming from the SC bundled with the M2P I am still happy to get a decent replacement at an affordable price with the new Mini 3.

Still a shame what DJI did with the SC but I don't see the RC Pro being worth ~ EUR 1,000 for the benefits tbh.

Reactions: bonzo
Considering that the Mini 3 with the new RC costs less than the RC Pro on its own, I'm not surprised. Corners had to be cut somewhere.

Surely the RC Pro beats the RC ...
Coming from the SC bundled with the M2P I am still happy to get a decent replacement at an affordable cost.

Still a shame what DJI did with the SC but I don't see the RC Pro being worth ~ EUR 1,000 tbh.

I totally agree. I also have a SC with my M2P and am happy to have a "affordable" option now that I'll be selling the M2P and SC combo. I do think brightness is THE most important thing in a screened controlled and 700 nits should be just enough but I do still wish it was brighter.

I totally agree. I also have a SC with my M2P and am happy to have a "affordable" option now that I'll be selling the M2P and SC combo. I do think brightness is THE most important thing in a screened controlled and 700 nits should be just enough but I do still wish it was brighter.
Yeah, but I highly doubt it is noticeably darker than the old SC.
For the most time of flying, I still prefer covered, shadow spots rather than full sun (when avoidable).

That does suck. iPhone 13 pro is 800 nits outside with 1200 peak for HDR, however, when in direct sunlight, 800 was only for a few minutes after which it would heat up and go below that. If the 700 nits is for an hour then it’s okay with me

That does suck. iPhone 13 pro is 800 nits outside with 1200 peak for HDR, however, when in direct sunlight, 800 was only for a few minutes after which it would heat up and go below that. If the 700 nits is for an hour then it’s okay with me

that is true... the iPhone would only be full brightness briefly, I never had my Smart Controller dim while using it. 700 nits CONSTANT is better than 300-400 nits after 5 minutes when the iPhone heats up.

I am hoping that there will be a firmware update in the future so that the RC Pro will be compatible.
Fingers crossed.

Does anyone know how Samsung AMOLED screen brightness compares to this? I have Galaxy Z Fold 3 which lists max brightness at 1200 nits, but I don't believe that is realistic or maybe it actually is.

Does anyone know how Samsung AMOLED screen brightness compares to this? I have Galaxy Z Fold 3 which lists max brightness at 1200 nits, but I don't believe that is realistic or maybe it actually is.
Open the DJI app, let it sit outside in the sun. Notice how long it takes for the brightness to drop

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
To note that those specs are only for HDR content which don’t apply in this context. I have an iPad Pro with XDR screen which is 1000 nits sustained brightness and 1600 nits peak but it’s substantially dimmer than my Crystal Sky in the real world which is rated for 1000 nits.

I‘m a little disappointed with just 700 nits.
I will be buying a screen sun shade once they start to appear.
Speaking of sunshades, on the previous mini, i used the camera sun shade accessory , which also provide quite good protection to the camera should you crash.
The gimbal on the mini 3 sticks out far more, I hope a shade can be made for the new Mini 3

I‘m a little disappointed with just 700 nits.
I will be buying a screen sun shade once they start to appear.
Speaking of sunshades, on the previous mini, i used the camera sun shade accessory , which also provide quite good protection to the camera should you crash.
The gimbal on the mini 3 sticks out far more, I hope a shade can be made for the new Mini 3

I believe you are referring to ND filters? DJI has stated they are making ones (that aren't out yet) and 3rd parties surely will. The Mini 3 Pro has a twist off front to the lens, much like the Mavic 3, and it is likely the ND filters will use the same secure system to attach. It should be very solid and straightforward and not involve clipping a filter ON to the lens which is difficult on some drones.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Ok, the reviews are in. The new RC controller is 700 nits of brightness which is well below the brightness level of all the previous screen controllers DJI has released (including Smart Controller, RC Pro etc.) which were 1000+ or more nits. Most cellphones introduced in the last 12-24 months also tend to have peak brightness above 750+. The initial reviews say the RC screen is still great and bright enough (at least as honest as the "influencers" who got this early can be) but the RC Pro is still better.

Also the Mini 3 Pro is not compatible with the RC Pro right now. It remains to be seen if DJI will update the RC Pro to support it (I suspect they will but it always takes months...)
And the RC only adds about $250 to the package. The RC Pro alone is almost $1200. I'm not going to NIT pick. :)

According to dpreview "The DJI RC Pro remote, introduced with the Mavic 3 series, is also compatible" although I don't see this on the specs for the mini 3 pro or RC Pro remote.

As a Mavic 3 and RC Pro owner I would expect DJI to make the RC Pro remote compatible with the mini 3 "pro". If they don't it will be a travesty. If they do I would probably get the mini 3 pro for travel and situations where sub 249g is safer. DJI are you listening to your customers.. I hope so.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98