DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Controller Satellite Map zoom level missing?

Logger

Reactions
I have a new Mavic 3 Mini with RC controller. The Satellite maps in the Fly app are really low res and pixelated. I am in Melbourne Aust. Whereas the same maps when I open them in the Fly app on my phone are sharp as a tack.
I scrolled the RC Sat map across to Long beach USA and maps much better and seemingly load as I zoom in on new areas. End up being able to see cars on streets etc. Whereas in Australia you cannot even make out house sized details. It is like the last few zoom zevel of the map data are being blocked. Do others see this issue?

1660821612932.png
Left image is in USA.______________________________Right hand image in best I can get in Australia

Last edited:
I have a new Mavic 3 Mini with RC controller. The Satellite maps in the Fly app are really low res and pixelated. I am in Melbourne Aust. Whereas the same maps when I open them in the Fly app on my phone are sharp as a tack.
I scrolled the RC Sat map across to Long beach USA and maps much better and seemingly load as I zoom in on new areas. End up being able to see cars on streets etc. Whereas in Australia you cannot even make out house sized details. It is like the last few zoom zevel of the map data are being blocked. Do others see this issue?

View attachment 153476
Left image is in USA._______________________________________________________Right hand image in best I can get in Australia
same happaned with RC PRO and Mavic 3, DJI has switched MapTiler on DJI Fly, they are not using mapbox anymore !!! they should aloww us to install google maps on RC and RC pro !!! what a shame for a control at this price range !!!

Reactions: Axelz
I compared my RC controller to anther unit. The other unit had the sat maps displaying properly with fully sharp image when zoomed in.. It was running 01.01.0100 RC firmware while mine has 01.01.0300. I wonder if this might be the cause?

Last edited:
Was wifi on and the RC connected to the internet when you had poor resolution?

Yes wifi is on, the problem is that DJI ditched mapbox to use now Maptiler on DJI RC Pro and RC !!
and this map are really bad !!! very low resolution !! you can see your own city on it, that's mine : Maps | MapTiler
compare with google !!!

Already sent e-mail to DJI with no reply !!! that's really sad !

Yes 100%, it was on with a solid connection. I can see maps of new areas downloading and drawing before my eyes. The issue is they never resolve to a sharp image. Indeed at @silvioalessi has pointed out, now that I look, it is quite clearly sourcing from Maptiler at low resolution. Here are direct links to Maptile maps for my previous images examples. You can even see the same cars in the intersection & it definitely the same map source

The thing is, the other RC I saw yesterday was running 01.01.0100 RC firmware while mine has 01.01.0300. The one on 01.01.0100 had super sharp maps while mine has the rubbish Maptile ones . Seems this firmware update might be where the mapsource swaps.

Going to try factory reset my RC to see if I can get it back on to 01.01.0100 to see if changes anything.

EDIT: Factory reset of the RC had no effect o the maps. RC is still on RC firmware 01.01.0300 and app version 1.6.9 :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: silvioalessi
My RC is also the same (current firmware). Unusable for trying to do waypoint mission at home before flight.
Funny my phone using the fly app is fantastic.
Have also informed DJI about this issue. I to are also in Australia (Albany).
Lift your game DJI...

Yes it is frustrating isn't it. Just came back here after a few months hiatus. Still the same. Seems DJI has no interest in fixing the satellite map offerings on the RC controllers in Australia.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S