DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC signal issues

Siha.Jr

Reactions
Hello everyone,

Kindly find out the attached images to understand my 2 cases.

Over the weekend I have faced 2 different issues, and since that I am still a new pilot.
I would love that you guys help me and advice me.

The first case:
I was flying my Mavic Air 2 in a free zone that has to restrictions and everything clear.
Suddenly I got a notification showing RC signal lost, then it was followed by another one showing Aircraft not connected to RC.
The good thing is that when the drone started to go home because of what happened.
I was able to connect to it again automatically with in 2 or 3 seconds.
This happened on a distance of 440 m, so do you guys can tell or explain what has happened exactly?
You can see the details in the attached images.

The second case:
I was flying my Mavic Air 2 in a free zone that has to restrictions and everything clear.
Suddenly I kept on getting the following a notification RC signal interference.
So I directly returned the drone to home, and started to check around me.
And found a radio tower that was 10 to 15 meters away from me.
My question here: Is it illegal to fly near a radio tower even if the maps shows it's a free zone and there is no restrictions.
Or it is legal, but I have to be careful of not losing the signal because of that tower?

One last question: what is the distance range of the Mavic Air 2 theoretically?

Note: I read the manual, but sometimes the practical is different from the theoretical.

Any advice would be appreciated guys.

Attachments

• Case 2-1.jpg
    Case 2-1.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Case 2.jpg
    Case 2.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 44
  • Case 1-2.jpg
    Case 1-2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Case 1.jpg
    Case 1.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 45
The DJI map is "informative". There are lots of areas in my country that appear as free zones in the DJI map but that are in fact restricted under my country's law.

With regards to range, it's weird that you had issues so close to you, I see you were flying quite low in the 1st scenario, were you going behind trees? If so, it's relatively normal to have problems with the signal. If you're using iOS, you can get the FCC modded app which significantly improves transmission especially for such scenarios and (optionally) turns on your AirSense (ADS-B) receiver.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The DJI map is "informative". There are lots of areas in my country that appear as free zones in the DJI map but that are in fact restricted under my country's law.

With regards to range, it's weird that you had issues so close to you, I see you were flying quite low in the 1st scenario, were you going behind trees? If so, it's relatively normal to have problems with the signal. If you're using iOS, you can get the FCC modded app which significantly improves transmission especially for such scenarios and (optionally) turns on your AirSense (ADS-B) rec

What do you mean by restricted under your country laws.
Can you please explain that.

I was flying on top of trees but not behind them.
No, I am using Samsung S 20 ultra 5G.

What do you mean by restricted under your country laws.
Can you please explain that.

I was flying on top of trees but not behind them.
No, I am using Samsung S 20 ultra 5G.
I mean that we also have an official map from the authorities and a lot of restricted areas do not appear at all on the DJI map.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hello everyone,

Kindly find out the attached images to understand my 2 cases.

Over the weekend I have faced 2 different issues, and since that I am still a new pilot.
I would love that you guys help me and advice me.

The first case:
Suddenly I got a notification showing RC signal lost, then it was followed by another one showing Aircraft not connected to RC.
The good thing is that when the drone started to go home because of what happened.
I was able to connect to it again automatically with in 2 or 3 seconds.
This happened on a distance of 440 m, so do you guys can tell or explain what has happened exactly?
You can see the details in the attached images.

The second case:
Suddenly I kept on getting the following a notification RC signal interference.
So I directly returned the drone to home, and started to check around me.
And found a radio tower that was 10 to 15 meters away from me.
My question here: Is it illegal to fly near a radio tower even if the maps shows it's a free zone and there is no restrictions.
Or it is legal, but I have to be careful of not losing the signal because of that tower?

One last question: what is the distance range of the Mavic Air 2 theoretically?

Note: I read the manual, but sometimes the practical is different from the theoretical.

Any advice would be appreciated guys.

Its likely that it has nothing to do with restrictions and everything to do with not have a clear line of sight to your drone.
Flying over trees at an extended distance is tricky, as is the same with flying behind a building at any distance , there is the possibility of a dis connect.

What Seasoned Pilots will do in that case is continue to Raise the Altitude the further out you go to try to maintain the stronger signal. This is where having that slight edge with a Reflector or Booster will give you a little more promise for a more sound flight , but still follow these same guide lines.

What I recommend you do is to find a high ground where you can fly above the trees to really understand what is possible and how quickly that signal to drop when the Clean line to that signal is blocked.

You can also practice this by Remote landing , just put the drone on the other side of the house and try to start the drone, We do a lot of our flying from inside the Car and get out pretty far , but the line of sight is clear , its not over trees that were going to attempt a longer flight.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Its likely that it has nothing to do with restrictions and everything to do with not have a clear line of sight to your drone.
Flying over trees at an extended distance is tricky, as is the same with flying behind a building at any distance , there is the possibility of a dis connect.

What Seasoned Pilots will do in that case is continue to Raise the Altitude the further out you go to try to maintain the stronger signal. This is where having that slight edge with a Reflector or Booster will give you a little more promise for a more sound flight , but still follow these same guide lines.

What I recommend you do is to find a high ground where you can fly above the trees to really understand what is possible and how quickly that signal to drop when the Clean line to that signal is blocked.

You can also practice this by Remote landing , just put the drone on the other side of the house and try to start the drone, We do a lot of our flying from inside the Car and get out pretty far , but the line of sight is clear , its not over trees that were going to attempt a longer flight.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on.

Wow!!!! Thank you so much for taking that time to explain for me. Make sense and very convincing. I will try it today to have my experience with it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes what Phantomrain said, I do a lot of flying through the trees and it gets pretty sketchy as far as RC to AC signal is concerned flying behind and through them. Your first scenario shows you at 9.6m so you are pretty low.

Yes what Phantomrain said, I do a lot of flying through the trees and it gets pretty sketchy as far as RC to AC signal is concerned flying behind and through them. Your first scenario shows you at 9.6m so you are pretty low.
400 m long (Distance) not height. I was only 100 m in height which is an allowed height.

The 9.6m wasn't in a forest and it was because of a radio tower near me.

400 m long (Distance) not height. I was only 100 m in height which is an allowed height.

The 9.6m wasn't in a forest and it was because of a radio tower near me.
How does the radio tower effect you altitude ??

How does the radio tower effect you altitude ??
I never said that the radio tower has an effect on the altitude.
I have 2 different cases please read my first post again and you will understand what the Radio tower did.

And both of the cases have issues with signal, but non of them was because of the altitude :)

I never said that the radio tower has an effect on the altitude.
I have 2 different cases please read my first post again and you will understand what the Radio tower did.

And both of the cases have issues with signal, but non of them was because of the altitude :)
I was only talking about the first scenario, first two pics, it looks like in the pic you were flying in a wooded area, and at 9.6m altitude I'm thinking you weren't above the trees unless you have some real short trees is all.

Reactions: earth3rd
I was only talking about the first scenario, first two pics, it looks like in the pic you were flying in a wooded area, and at 9.6m altitude I'm thinking you weren't above the trees unless you have some real short trees is all.
The 9.6 m is case number 2 not case number one which is the case that has nothing to do with the altitude. This was because the Radio tower, and I was asking for an advice in that case related to laws. Please read the first post till the end and you will understand.
Anyway thank you ?

The 9.6 m is case number 2 not case number one which is the case that has nothing to do with the altitude. This was because the Radio tower, and I was asking for an advice in that case related to laws. Please read the first post till the end and you will understand.
Anyway thank you ?
Ahh, Ok, I've always read left to right and since as I was looking at the pics you posted on the left side I thought they were case # 1.
Good luck with your endeavor..

Reactions: Siha.Jr
For range or disconnect-from-controller-to-aircraft issues, you may want to try it with turning off the unused radios on your phone, such as WiFi, Bluetooth and use airplane mode to suspend the cellular radio.

That
For range or disconnect-from-controller-to-aircraft issues, you may want to try it with turning off the unused radios on your phone, such as WiFi, Bluetooth and use airplane mode to suspend the cellular radio.
Thank you so much, will try it out.

I believe that here in Germany everything on the map is clear.

Most of us use other apps like KittyHawk and such to find restricted areas where we cannot fly. The DJI app is not all inclusive in that feature. Find a couple of these apps in the App Store and download. Check them out individually to see if any real differences - then pick one that is easiest to use and the most informative with go and no-go zones.

Germany has many airports and military bases - so they are a NO-FLY ZONE. In the US, that is typically a 5 mile radius around that facility. Getting maps specifically for where you are flying is key to staying legal and not causing issues by flying in them without authorization, which you can get sometimes.

Most of us use other apps like KittyHawk and such to find restricted areas where we cannot fly. The DJI app is not all inclusive in that feature. Find a couple of these apps in the App Store and download. Check them out individually to see if any real differences - then pick one that is easiest to use and the most informative with go and no-go zones.

Germany has many airports and military bases - so they are a NO-FLY ZONE. In the US, that is typically a 5 mile radius around that facility. Getting maps specifically for where you are flying is key to staying legal and not causing issues by flying in them without authorization, which you can get sometimes.
Thank you so much for the advice. I have downloaded it already and found other apps. Will use them from now on.

I live in a area with a lot of trees. Lately I've been getting weak signals and laggy video feeds about 3000' out. Yesterday I moved to an open area with about 2 miles of nothing but farmland. At 1 mile out, I still showing full strength without any video lag whatsoever. This reassured my theory of signal loss due to trees and a lack of line of sight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo