DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

re: drone distance flights and reports

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-
Having been slapped down on this forum myself ( before I understood the ground rules) for reporting my personal flights of discovery, I can advise anyone who posts here about long distance flying- Don't Ask, and Don't Tell. It's that simple.

I think every drone flier makes her/his choices of where, when, and how to fly- personal choice is good. However, at least on this forum, don't come on here talking about distance tests and such flights. This is not approved behavior.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Correct. This needs to stop.

Good morning to all-
Having been slapped down on this forum myself ( before I understood the ground rules) for reporting my personal flights of discovery, I can advise anyone who posts here about long distance flying- Don't Ask, and Don't Tell. It's that simple.

I think every drone flier makes her/his choices of where, when, and how to fly- personal choice is good. However, at least on this forum, don't come on here talking about distance tests and such flights. This is not approved behavior.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed
My drone is currently in low earth orbit.Look for it tonight in the western sky just after moonrise.

I think there are two reasons for "I flew to x miles distance" posts being "slapped down",

1) self preservation........in many places, having the drone in range of your eyes is a legal requirement. 'Promoting' such distant flights may encourage those who 'know no better' to replicate such flying. This in turn does not help the general public's perception of OUR HOBBY and may give law makers fuel for further restrictions.

For example, it seems that some of the recent Fly appupdates, or firmware updates of Fly app using drones, FORCE, for EU users of C1 eligible drones, the permanent lighting/illumination of the drones LEDs.
With that in mind, how difficult would it be for the governments to say to manufacturers "ok, if you want an import license you will add an unbypassable range limit of x metres to the drones firmware."?
A while back India imposed a 15m ceiling on some drones ( >250g?), as a consequence Mini users were limited to a ceiling of 15m. I don't know if that restriction is still in force.
We represent a minority of the population and as such have little clout with which to protest the impostion of such rules.

2) attempting to prevent the poster getting into trouble.....where such flights are illegal the pilot may be "hoisting themselves by their own petard" by posting video etc. evdence of wrong doings. i.e. providing the authorities with the initial evidence of a 'crime' that may then prompt an investigation.
E.g. some drivers have been prosecuted because of their own youtube videos showing illegal speeds and or dangerous driving.

I do not doubt that many people will occasionally fly beyond their own VLOS but 'keep quiet' about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperSkymaster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103