DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RE Goggles with old Mavic Firmware?

FireFlyer451

Reactions
I would like to fly the new RE Goggles but I have resisted upgrading my good-flying Mavic for quite a while. My Mavic and controller is on firmware 1.03.0400 .

What is the least upgrade firmware I would have have to go to, to operate with the RE Goggles?

Thanks!

I also will purchase the RE Goggles and I would like to use them with the .900 firmware. Is that even possible?

I am on 700 and the RE goggles are working fine.

I also registered them using a VPN set to USA to lock it down to FCC.

1.) I traded my V1 DJI goggles for the new RE goggles. The promise of having one premium goggle available for me to enjoy all my FPV aircraft (micro - heavily modded Inductrix, racing quad - Kopis 1 and the Mavic Pro) was irresistible, especially considering my current FPV goggles were crap ($100 Eachine EV100) and I'd be looking to speed $400 on some fatsharks or equivalent. Also the upgrades to functionality of the RE goggles (video playback, DVR and separate Occusync module and camera helped motivate me.

Upon receiving the RE goggles same day I sent my old goggles to my Ebay buyer, I noticed head tracking didn't work. Then it came back to me… Historically the goggles had to be on the same FW rev as the AC (aircraft) for head tracking to work. Gimbal head tracking is a very significant feature. Without support for head tracking, there's no practical use for the IMU built into the google (for me at this time, until I have compatible FC's (flight controllers) and can control 3rd party gimbals etc). There's also that pano-photo feature I suppose would use the goggles IMU, however these are only nice-to-haves at the moment).

2.) For me, 01.03.0700 across the board was the sweet spot, mainly due to the ability to modify parameters via assistant in debug mode. It's critical when you live in the mountains to exceed 500 meter height restrictions. Among many other practical, legitimate, and responsible uses, I employ the Mavic routinely in the backcountry for assessing climbs/routes, cornices, avalanche risk and for determining if water falls are in the condition to ice climb before making multi hour, dangerous approaches with heavy bags of equipment. It's only a matter of time before I'm in the right spot at the right time under the right conditions to provide support searching for lost hikers, back country skiers or climbers. Anyway, it's my equipment, I paid for it, I'll use it as I please and take full responsibility for my actions.

Steps taken to correct issues and concerns:

To enable head tracking, it became clear that I'd have to update to the goggles to 01.00.0100 and the AC and RC to 01.04.0100 (matching subversions I guessed). Of course, this meant potentially giving up the ability to modify flight parameters possible in 01.03.0700 (and other releases).

But there is a way to have it all:

Since I was taking the mega-plunge, I figured I'd also update the DJI Go 4 app after patching of course. (Patching is required to avoid forced updates and all other behind the scenes chattiness between the app and the state.

Preconditions:

1.) RE goggles: version 01.00.0002

2.) Controller, Mavic: version 01.03.0700

3.) DJI Go 4: version 4.1.3 patched and side loaded (Android 7.0 running on Note 5)

Issues that I was aware of:

1.) No head tracking on RE goggles

2.) After android update to 7 (Nougat) DJI Go 4 (4.1.3 patched and side loaded) was no longer able to access flight records, media on the Mavic. Cache images were not available, nor video.

Procedure:

I did some of these things in parallel. I also had two version of DJI assistant running as the DJi Assistant capable of debug mode (1.1.2), thus parameter changes, is not able to connect to later FWs (like the FW the RE goggles ship with (01.00.0002).

1.) Downloaded everything I needed to patch a new Android version of DJI Go 4 (Version 4.1.14)

2.) Followed the procedure to modify the correct version of 4.1.14 (without SecNeo), selected the patches to apply and compiled, cleaned up old version including dir structure, side loaded off USB storage and OTG cable. (I'm sure there are many other ways to side load). Followed directions on how to first run patch DJI Go app.

3.) Meanwhile, prepared my machine (Windows in this case) with the firmware and packages from Git (DUMLdore/DankDroneDownloader/DUMLRacer). I removed modules 305,306 and 905 from the bin file for AC firmware 01.04.0100 (This is the first firmware that has the anti-rollback restriction DJI included to avoid us from using Jeezab's DUMLdore to flash up and down as we choose - yikes that's a scary update but necessary if I'm to match RE goggle FW with AC firmware) Following procedure, I successfully, load 01.04.0100 FW, root the AC and defeat the anti-rollback feature all at once using the most recent release of DUMLdore that integrates Jcase's rooting capabilities (meaning I didn't have to use the standalone DUMLRacer as it was built into DUMLdore).

4.) Next I used DankDroneDownloader as before to download the appropriate FW for the RC and RE Goggles. (01.04.0100 and 01.00.0100 respectively) and used DUMLdore to update/root/defeat rollback on the RC and Goggles.

5.) Using the old DJI Assistant (DJI Assistant 2 1.1.2) I remodified my flight parameters as I want them but haven't tested to verify if they are respected by the new firmware. This is important. You may all want to hold off doing the process I've outlined until hearing back from me.

Problems faced during procedure:

1.) It wasn't always clear to me when the update was done. The DUMLdore package isn't exactly clear on this. It instructs you when it's ok to open DJI Assistant to watch the update in progress. The first time I did it, I went to bed and woke up with a dead battery. Not sure what state I was in, I used both the updated DJI Assistant and the older version with debug capabilities and if I recall, neither were able to detect FW version. Reading the procedure again assured me I could run the firmware update/rooting procedure again without harm, which I did. This time DJI assistant (the older version) showed the progress up 99% (this could be due to the missing 305, 306 modules in the bin file. Regardless, apparently as long as the red lights are on solid, the AC is not upgrading and is done. I connected up the RE googles, the AC and the android app and everything checked out, yes including head tracking, viewing of flight logs, cached video and photos. Before updating, I was also unable to browse the contents of the SD card on the AC via DJI Go app connected to RC, this is corrected now)

Next steps:

1.) If it ever stops raining where I live, day or night I will test the modified flight parameters and if I can get above 500meters I'm a very happy operator. I hope to report back this evening or tonight. Every indication so far is that all will be good.

Huge respect and many thanks to the original gangsters, jessab and jcase and to quad808 for compiling everything together. If these geniuses have helped you out like they've helped me, please consider donating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO