DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reading About a Lot of Fly-Aways

Whatever flyaways you are finding, how many are hardware related verses pilot error? Would be interesting to see if anyone is tracking that info.
I haven't tallied up all the various reports but off-hand it seems that almost all are totally pilot error. Many of them are due to sending the Mavic Mini up in strong wind and it then flying away with the airflow.

I guess it is to be expected since we can assume many MM buyers are first-time drone pilots and they will make mistakes.

Reactions: ajkm and Drgnfli
Whatever flyaways you are finding, how many are hardware related verses pilot error? Would be interesting to see if anyone is tracking that info.

I agree
I would be very interesting.
I am with post #4 - mostly pilot error.

Reactions: Drgnfli
If I find any on Christmas day I will be looking for frantic parents and kids looking up in trees and on roofs. 1 week after Christmas in the classified adds. For sale crashed mavic minis for parts.
Or, for sale: remote, batteries, hub, charger, props, prop guard. No AC.

In one of those newbies (actually this is my first post). Albeit, I’ve spent about a 6 weeks preparing myself and upskilling my knowledge from a variety of sources to get tips and advice before a first flight. I’ve found Ventusky a great app to examine wind conditions before setting out. Would love to get your feedback and advice on other recommended apps from you experienced pilots for a non USA based enthusiast (as some of them seem to be just focused on the states).

In one of those newbies (actually this is my first post). Albeit, I’ve spent about a 6 weeks preparing myself and upskilling my knowledge from a variety of sources to get tips and advice before a first flight. I’ve found Ventusky a great app to examine wind conditions before setting out. Would love to get your feedback and advice on other recommended apps from you experienced pilots for a non USA based enthusiast (as some of them seem to be just focused on the states).
UAV forecast is a good app

I agree. I lost my Mavic mini and it was low-key my fault. I've learnt my lesson and will be sure to never make the same mistake again.

It didn't help that a tonne of YouTubers tested it in high wind, so I thought it could handle wind.

I agree. I lost my Mavic mini and it was low-key my fault. I've learnt my lesson and will be sure to never make the same mistake again.

It didn't help that a tonne of YouTubers tested it in high wind, so I thought it could handle wind.
Prop diameter is a clue. These little spinners have some limits. With the DJI products that I have, I let the wind speed dictate which one goes for a ride.

Probably should add "don't try to be too adventurous" which is probably as dangerous as flying in windy conditions. Unfortunately YouTube is full of irresponsible flyers encouraging flying in wind and exceeding the capabilities of their craft particularly in exceeding LOS. Those new to drones often have no idea why flying too far has potentially very bad consequences.

A full explanation would take an extensive article so the best way is to keep your drone close, learn the basics and don't be too ambitious too soon.

I’ll be on the hunt for the wayward ones. Wouldn’t mind finding a 400.00 drone for free.
Erect a big net downwind of the local park that should do the trick

I’ll be on the hunt for the wayward ones. Wouldn’t mind finding a 400.00 drone for free.

It would sure help if folks would label them with a phone number and so on. After the first crash/fly away you think about that. I've had several drones over the years, they are all labeled very well. It certainly doesn't guarantee that you'll ever get it back, but it helps. I've seen folks post on Facebook in my area. In one case some kids came by asking about a lost drone, and then a day or two later the lady was working out in the back yard,and found it. Then she posted on Facebook about it, because she has no idea who they were or where they live and was trying to get it back to them.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00