DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real Estate Photography - Mavic Air or Phantom 3 Pro?

RP_FPV

Reactions
The Mavic Air seems to have better portability but its it as good as a Phantom?

The Mavic Air seems to have better portability but its it as good as a Phantom?
Yes the Mavic Air is every bit as good as the Phantom 3 Pro except for signal strength, due to the Mavic Air being WiFi. Practically though for real estate photos you will be fine with either one.

So does the WiFi affect distance or video transmission?
Both really. However, you shouldn't be flying beyond VLOS and that will never be an issue. In real life usage, I have gotten almost identical range from my P3P and MA. It really does depend on the area and what other signals are in the air.

Whats VLOS? The camera can record to a memory card so weak video transmission wont affect that correct?

VLOS = Visual Line of Sight

Weak video transmission only affects what you see on your screen. Has nothing to do with what gets recorded to the SD card.

One factor which may influence decision given intended use:

The MA uses "enhanced Wi-Fi" as we all know.
Where would you typically find Wi-Fi dense areas and higher potential for RC to AC interference?
Houses and buildings.

I was standing in the middle of a field yesterday with nothing but power lines approx 50m away and still got "Strong Aircraft Interference" warnings and laggy video feed.

For full disclosure - was 5.8GHz FCC mode, ~20-30m altitude direct overhead. RC antennas were parallel to the ground to orient the Fresnel zone direction vertically to the AC.

Not saying you'll have endless amount of issues, just the MA is seemingly the most temperamental of all the DJI offerings.

I have a Mavic Air and a Phantom 3 Pro and I find the photos and videos from the Phantom to be much better.

I have a Mavic Air and a Phantom 3 Pro and I find the photos and videos from the Phantom to be much better.
Interesting, I wonder what the difference in specs are with the cameras. I have the P3P now but if the air does video as well as the phantom then I will sell and go with the air. I want a small drone I can bring along in my car at all times to get fast on the fly shots.

I think the photos from Mavic Air have been intentionally crippled by DJI, the dynamic range is crushed, colours are off even with custom profiles. I often just pull frames from 4k videos with Cinelike profile. Smaller resolution but way better images

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+