DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real world meaning of VLOS

Bernie707

Reactions
The true meaning of VLOS would seem to be a situation where you can see the drone with your naked eye. But people who have spent $1000 or more for a mavic pro or MP2 with ocusync fly them well beyond the range where they can see the drone. When I had my mavic pro and routinely flew it out 2000 feet or more I couldn’t see it beyond 300 feet once I glanced down at the controller. How far out can you really see the much smaller mini? People don’t spend the money these things cost to only fly them within eyesight.

Real world VLOS seems to mean flying which no obstacles between the controller and the drone. I’m not talking whether it’s legal or illegal, just what the reality is.

The true meaning of VLOS would seem to be a situation where you can see the drone with your naked eye. But people who have spent $1000 or more for a mavic pro or MP2 with ocusync fly them well beyond the range where they can see the drone. When I had my mavic pro and routinely flew it out 2000 feet or more I couldn’t see it beyond 300 feet once I glanced down at the controller. How far out can you really see the much smaller mini? People don’t spend the money these things cost to only fly them within eyesight.

Real world VLOS seems to mean flying which no obstacles between the controller and the drone. I’m not talking whether it’s legal or illegal, just what the reality is.
What country are you talking about?
The wording can vary slightly depending on Aviation Authority.

It also make absolutely no difference what aircraft whether it be a heavy lift octo with an 8ft span or a tiny toy like the Mini. The rules are the same.

For instance:

Canada: Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) –means unaided (corrective lenses and/or sunglasses exempted) visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to be able to maintain operational control of the aircraft, know its location, and be able to scan the airspace in which it is operating to decisively see and avoid other air traffic or objects.

UK:
This means that the aircraft must be able to be clearly seen by the person flying it at all times when it is airborne. By doing this, the person flying the aircraft is able to monitor its flight path and so manoeuvre it clear of anything that it may collide with. While corrective spectacles can be used to look at the aircraft, the use of binoculars, telescopes, or any other image enhancing devices are not permitted.

In simple terms, the aircraft must not be flown out of sight of a human eye.

Generally speaking VLOS is deemed as being up to 500m or a distance which the aircraft can still be seen (whichever is less)

Last edited:
In the USA, in regards to UAS operations you have to not only be able to "See" the aircraft you also have to be able to determine orientation, altitude, and direction of flight. That's hard to do "quickly" when it's a mere speck in the sky.

Most people flying don't really attempt to follow the regs when it comes to VLOS. They just simply watch their display device and throw caution to the wind on any portion of the regs they don't want to try and follow.

...Real world VLOS seems to mean flying which no obstacles between the controller and the drone. I’m not talking whether it’s legal or illegal, just what the reality is.

You mix up the letter combinations ...
VLOS is visual line of sight eg. you can see it without anything more then prescripted eyeglasses.
LOS is line of sight eg. non obstructed line between your RC & the AC.
BLOS is beyond line of sight eg. something is between your RC & the AC.

You mix up the letter combinations ...
VLOS is visual line of sight eg. you can see it without anything more then prescripted eyeglasses.
LOS is line of sight eg. non obstructed line between your RC & the AC.
BLOS is beyond line of sight eg. something is between your RC & the AC.
I think BLOS is just too far out to see.. ie, at the end of VLOS distance.
Obstructed is just obstructed controller-drone communication caused by something between controller and drone.

So technically all FPV drone pilots are flying totally illegal in the US and Canada since they have googles they can't see anything with their eyes?

I believe in Canada if you have a crew member as an observer you are good.

Further to my last comment.... (from the current Canadian Regs)

Visual Observers
  • 901.20 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system if visual observers are used to assist the pilot in the provision of detect and avoid functions unless reliable and timely communication is maintained between the pilot and each visual observer during the operation.
  • (2) A visual observer shall communicate information to the pilot in a timely manner, during the operation, whenever the visual observer detects conflicting air traffic, hazards to aviation safety or hazards to persons on the surface.
  • (3) No visual observer shall perform visual observer duties for more than one remotely piloted aircraft at a time unless the aircraft are operated in accordance with subsection 901.40(1) or in accordance with a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued under section 903.03.
  • (4) No visual observer shall perform visual observer duties while operating a moving vehicle, vessel or aircraft.

I have seen videos produced by DJI of a guy standing on a rocky outcrop on a mountain in the middle of nowhere using FPV googles with no spotter anywhere to be seen.

Multiple videos on YouTube of flying way beyond VLOS in many cases you couldn't see with binoculars and these people are revered and treated as drone gurus. The same people then will likely produce a video on safe legal flying.

Reactions: JS1600 and Thanev
I think BLOS is just too far out to see.. ie, at the end of VLOS distance.
Obstructed is just obstructed controller-drone communication caused by something between controller and drone.

Maybe I mix in to much regarding radio communication & the drone community have slightly tweaked the meaning of the abbreviations over time ...

The meaning within radio communications:

Visual-line-of-Sight (VLOS) means a straight line along which an observer has a clear view and which may be achieved by: spectacles, contact lenses, or a similar device used to correct any subnormal vision.

Line-of-Sight (LOS) describe a radio channel or link where there is a straight line free of any form of visual obstruction, even if it is actually too distant to see with the unaided human eye.

Beyond Line-Of-Sight (BLOS) describe radio communications capabilities that link systems too distant, or too fully obscured by terrain for LOS communications.

Non-line-of-sight (NLOS) and near-line-of-sight are radio transmissions across a path that is partially obstructed, usually by a physical object in the innermost Fresnel zone. The influence of a visual obstruction on a NLOS link may be anything from negligible to complete suppression. If a cloud passed between the antennas the link could actually become NLOS but the quality of the radio channel could be virtually unaffected. If, instead, a large building was constructed in the path making it NLOS, the channel may be impossible to receive making it BLOS.

Most people flying don't really attempt to follow the regs when it comes to VLOS. They just simply watch their displays...

That’s my point. With FPV, height and distance readings, a map of where the drone is, and a camera that shows you what you’re flying over, most people don’t spend the money these cost just to fly as far as you can see from where you’re standing. There would be very few YouTube videos of footage from mavic sir most people only flew VLOS.

Reactions: Riteguy
That’s my point. With FPV, height and distance readings, a map of where the drone is, and a camera that shows you what you’re flying over, most people don’t spend the money these cost just to fly as far as you can see from where you’re standing. There would be very few YouTube videos of footage from mavic sir most people only flew VLOS.
I'm not sure what's your point ... rules & regulations is what they are, some don't care others do. Even though many don't obey the VLOS rule the meaning of it will not change as a result of that.

If you by this reasoning want to claim that using cameras & video screens should be enough to be allowed to go LOS, that's another thing ... like your opinion.

Last edited:
real world VLOS is the distance that each individual pilot flying a UAV, can see the aircraft clearly, with prescription glasses or naked eye ,and is a requirement to be able to take evasive action,if an obstacle suddenly appeared in the same airspace and so avoid a collision,that distance will vary from flight to flight depending on the conditions at the time, and also the position of the pilot relative to the UAV will have an influence on their ability to see the UAV

real world VLOS is the distance that each individual pilot flying a UAV, can see the aircraft clearly, with prescription glasses or naked eye ,and is a requirement to be able to take evasive action,if an obstacle suddenly appeared in the same airspace and so avoid a collision,that distance will vary from flight to flight depending on the conditions at the time, and also the position of the pilot relative to the UAV will have an influence on their ability to see the UAV

Excellent reply :)

@BigAl07 thanks for your comment, it really means a lot coming from someone with your experience in UAV flying

I have never flown my two drones beyond VLOS and my Spark is certainly capable of going way beyond where I could see it. There have been a couple of times that I have lost track of the drone in the sky when taking a quick glance at my phone and I immediately fly it back so I can see it again. There have also been a couple of times when I have been startled by a helicopter suddenly appearing in my flying area even though it was a legal and safe area for me to fly in. Since my drone was in VLOS, I could easily descend, make sure I was clear of the copter, and come back home.

A couple of weeks ago while flying my Spark in an area I have flown numerous times, I suddenly got Yaw errors and a compass error well into a flight (the first time this has ever happened in 2 years with my Spark). The Spark then switched to Atti mode and quickly began drifting with the wind. Since I had it in VLOS, I knew something was wrong before I got the error messages on my screen. I immediately turned it around and flew back and landed. I was very surprised at how fast this happened and how fast the Spark started to drift. Had I not been in VLOS, I am sure I would have lost it because it would have taken much longer to figure out what was going on and by that time it would have drifted farther and could have resulted in me loosing it.

I am considering a future purchase of a Mavic 2 Pro, but not because I can fly it 8km out, but because of the quality of the camera and images I could capture.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S