DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really awful footage

Talkingman

Reactions
This is my first post here.
I have a Mavic Pro (1st November 2017) and have flown it quite a number of times. Until Christmas the only way I had to view my footage was on my iPhone X. I now have a laptop and what an awful mess the mavic footage looks. It’s not my laptop as footage from GoPro (4K) is absolutely awesome.

I returned the drone to DJI. They fitted a new gimbal control board and sent it back. This weekend I was so much looking forward to being able to use me drone properly. I took a number of videos at various settings and checked them out when I got back home. What a disaster! Regardless of what settings I used the footage is always blurry, pixelated, and what looks like something on the lense. The lense is totally clean.

I tried 4K 2.7K and 1080. ISO at 100. It was a reasonably bright day. I tried with and without ND filters. Even trying filters from a different company. WB balance I tried sunny, cloudy and even settings on the bottom which I can’t recall the name everywhere up and down the scale. All sorts of sharpness and contrast settings 0 0 0. +1 0 0. +1 +1 +1 etc. You get the idea.

Regardless of what I did I couldn’t get anything looked anything resembling a decent bit of video.

So, tomorrow I will be on to DJI customer support and will no doubt be shipping it off to DJI in the Netherlands again. It was gone a fortnight when I first sent it and no doubt will be gone another fortnight. Fingers crossed that this time it will be sorted. I will however, once the issue is resolved, be asking for a months extension to my my DJI refresh. They’ve had it for a month where I wouldn have been able to use my refresh so In my opinion that seems a perfectly reasonable request.

I’m not looking for any help on the forum as I do believe that the drone is faulty. I just wanted to vent somewhat and add to what I have seen has been dozens of faulty Mavics. I will keep adding to this thread as and when I have news from DJI and the progress of the repair or replacement. I will not accept a refurbished unit as a new replacement could only be offered if a repair is not possible. U.K. consumer laws and all that.

Thanks for reading and look forward to any comments you may have.

I have a Mavic Pro (1st November 2017) and have flown it quite a number of times. Until Christmas the only way I had to view my footage was on my iPhone X. I now have a laptop and what an awful mess the mavic footage looks. It’s not my laptop as footage from GoPro (4K) is absolutely awesome.

I returned the drone to DJI. They fitted a new gimbal control board and sent it back. This weekend I was so much looking forward to being able to use me drone properly. I took a number of videos at various settings and checked them out when I got back home. What a disaster! Regardless of what settings I used the footage is always blurry, pixelated, and what looks like something on the lense. The lense is totally clean.

I tried 4K 2.7K and 1080. ISO at 100. It was a reasonably bright day. I tried with and without ND filters. Even trying filters from a different company. WB balance I tried sunny, cloudy and even settings on the bottom which I can’t recall the name everywhere up and down the scale. All sorts of sharpness and contrast settings 0 0 0. +1 0 0. +1 +1 +1 etc. You get the idea.

Regardless of what I did I couldn’t get anything looked anything resembling a decent bit of video.

So, tomorrow I will be on to DJI customer support and will no doubt be shipping it off to DJI in the Netherlands again. It was gone a fortnight when I first sent it and no doubt will be gone another fortnight. Fingers crossed that this time it will be sorted. I will however, once the issue is resolved, be asking for a months extension to my my DJI refresh. They’ve had it for a month where I wouldn have been able to use my refresh so In my opinion that seems a perfectly reasonable request.

I’m not looking for any help on the forum as I do believe that the drone is faulty. I just wanted to vent somewhat and add to what I have seen has been dozens of faulty Mavics. I will keep adding to this thread as and when I have news from DJI and the progress of the repair or replacement. I will not accept a refurbished unit as a new replacement could only be offered if a repair is not possible. U.K. consumer laws and all that.

Do you have an example of the poor quality footage?

Are you using a Micro SD card?

I am new to this forum game. I have a 30 second clip but won’t let me upload as the file is too big. I’ll have a go at putting in drop box or something in the morning
Stick it on YouTube or post the dropbox link when you get a chance mate.

Interested to see, Mavic camera quality seems to be a lottery.

Reactions: Goldnail
I tried several SD cards. Even the card that came with the mavic
To be absolutely sure that we're all talking about the same thing ~the videos that you are viewing... Are they from your Mavic's SD card, or from your device (phone /tablet)?

Reactions: Callum
I still do not have a Marvin pro but in have been in computer forensics for a few years. Can Mavic pro take AVI format? Try it if avi is a available. If avi is ok, there is problem with the onboard video chip used to compress the video. As the video quality is poor being viewed on computer, the problem is the source used to compress the footage. Computer has different codex to decode the video. It should not be a problem. SD card does not affect the video quality but only the transfer rate. But we are still expecting the YouTube. Thanks!

Can Mavic pro take AVI format?
No, it cannot.

Until we see an example of the problem we're not going to be able to tell what's wrong. IMO it sounds like the OP is looking at cached video from the Go app, not footage off the microSD card. But we don't know because he doesn't want help.

No, it cannot.

Until we see an example of the problem we're not going to be able to tell what's wrong. IMO it sounds like the OP is looking at cached video from the Go app, not footage off the microSD card. But we don't know because he doesn't want help.

I admit that I share the irony of where I’ve posted my thread and what I said.
The reason I said I wasn’t looking for help as my MP is going back to DJI.

All footage I refer to is downloaded from the SD card.

This is just a 30 second clip. Very basic no editing. Settings are 2.7k 30fps. ISO 100. Set to cloudy. 0 0 0. Normal style. Can’t remember if this was auto or manual focus. Didn’t seem to make a difference either way.
Some footage shows the picture pulsing every couple of seconds (not this vid though).

More videos tomorrow as I’m away from home without laptop.

The issue is as it was when I sent my MP to DJI a fortnight ago. They seemed to think that it was a recurring problem with some models.

I admit that I share the irony of where I’ve posted my thread and what I said.
The reason I said I wasn’t looking for help as my MP is going back to DJI.

All footage I refer to is downloaded from the SD card.

This is just a 30 second clip. Very basic no editing. Settings are 2.7k 30fps. ISO 100. Set to cloudy. 0 0 0. Normal style. Can’t remember if this was auto or manual focus. Didn’t seem to make a difference either way.
Some footage shows the picture pulsing every couple of seconds (not this vid though).

More videos tomorrow as I’m away from home without laptop.

The issue is as it was when I sent my MP to DJI a fortnight ago. They seemed to think that it was a recurring problem with some models.
I'm not seeing it mate.

Mine is about the same. Mavic sensor seems to shine in good lighting which can be a problem for us in UK.

Pulsing effect you mentioned is normally an H264 codec problem which is worse in poor light.

I was pretty underwhelmed with mavic camera as well to be honest but learned to live with it.

I'm not seeing it mate.

Mine is about the same. Mavic sensor seems to shine in good lighting which can be a problem for us in UK.

Pulsing effect you mentioned is normally an H264 codec problem which is worse in poor light.

I was pretty underwhelmed with mavic camera as well to be honest but learned to live with it.

I think for the money paid for the MP the quality of the camera should be much better. That small clip was with a ND8 filter. The grass is all mushy and there’s no detail anywhere apart from the church.

I’ve seen so much better unedited MP videos on the net. DJI seem to think there is a problem with it.

I have a Karma and apart from it not being a drone I trust like I do the MP, the camera footage just pops straight from the GoPro. No colour correcting needed.

I’ve got a £99 camera that takes much better video. Maybe I should strap that to my MP LOL.

I very much hope DJI fix my problem. I’ve got a large amount of accessories the wife bought for me. I can’t just chuck it in and get something else. She got me a super MC-case. 5 extra batteries. Home charger that charges 3 batteries simultaneously. A mobile mavic power bank that’ll charge 4 batteries. A titan cyclone signal booster. As well as all sorts of smaller stuff. She’ll not be too happy if I just sell it.

Yes. I’m annoyed. More so as it’s been back to DJI once already. Plus the wife really did her homework and got me everything and so much more than I could possibly need for drone flying. I wanted an inspire 2. The wife said that once I get good with a less expensive drone then we can upgrade to the Imspire. This set back is not helping me get my next new toy LOL

I think for the money paid for the MP the quality of the camera should be much better. That small clip was with a ND8 filter. The grass is all mushy and there’s no detail anywhere apart from the church.

I’ve seen so much better unedited MP videos on the net. DJI seem to think there is a problem with it.

I have a Karma and apart from it not being a drone I trust like I do the MP, the camera footage just pops straight from the GoPro. No colour correcting needed.

I’ve got a £99 camera that takes much better video. Maybe I should strap that to my MP LOL.

I very much hope DJI fix my problem. I’ve got a large amount of accessories the wife bought for me. I can’t just chuck it in and get something else. She got me a super MC-case. 5 extra batteries. Home charger that charges 3 batteries simultaneously. A mobile mavic power bank that’ll charge 4 batteries. A titan cyclone signal booster. As well as all sorts of smaller stuff. She’ll not be too happy if I just sell it.

Yes. I’m annoyed. More so as it’s been back to DJI once already. Plus the wife really did her homework and got me everything and so much more than I could possibly need for drone flying. I wanted an inspire 2. The wife said that once I get good with a less expensive drone then we can upgrade to the Imspire. This set back is not helping me get my next new toy LOL

A lot of the videos you see are in good lighting.

I've found mavic just doesn't handle grass and foliage well.

With mine, shooting without a filter and a higher shutter on overcast day gives better results.
Ive started shooting without filters a lot of the time, unless I've got some motion in the video.

I get some blur in only one corner and need a camera replacement, but the rest of the image is similar to yours.

Wait and see what other people think as mine ma not be the best to compare to.

Last edited:
A lot of the videos you see are in good lighting.

I've found mavic just doesn't handle grass and foliage well.

With mine, shooting without a filter and a higher shutter on overcast day gives better results.
Ive started shooting without filters a lot of the time, unless I've got some motion in the video.

I get some blur in only one corner and need a camera replacement, but the rest of the image is similar to yours.

Wait and see what other people think as mine maybe not the best to compare to.

I really don’t like that blurring in the grass and the trees. I tried without a filter yesterday but that just gave me so much over exposure.

You having yours looked at?

Be interested to know what otners have to say tomorrow too.

I also tried using premiere pro with some of the footage but can’t do hardly anything with it. I suppose if the original footage is so bad a bit of software can’t help. I’ve seen a guy on YouTube who promotes neat video to clear up the noise but we shouldn’t have to keep buying expensive software. I’m starting to rant again LOL

I really don’t like that blurring in the grass and the trees. I tried without a filter yesterday but that just gave me so much over exposure.

You having yours looked at?

Be interested to know what otners have to say tomorrow too.

I also tried using premiere pro with some of the footage but can’t do hardly anything with it. I suppose if the original footage is so bad a bit of software can’t help. I’ve seen a guy on YouTube who promotes neat video to clear up the noise but we shouldn’t have to keep buying expensive software. I’m starting to rant again LOL
Neat video won't fix the softness.

It will remove noise and grain but do nothing for the sharpness.

When you remove the filters it shouldn't cause it to be overexposed if you adjust your shutter.

Also I've also found it helps to focus on a distant object at start of flight and leave it there.

Also sharpness at +1.

Yeah I need to send it in for repair, having too much fun flying it I keep putting it off. Really need to get it done soon though.

In Australia with the bright sunshine the video is OK. I use a ND64 to slow things down. The MP camera doesn't handle low light. Hope the MP2 has a better camera.

Well problem solved. Sort of. After over an hour on web chat support and repeating all the steps previously taken with the original MP I went and brought a new MPP. Shot some quick footage and it's spot on.
DJI have sent UPS to collect the problem MP and will repair or send a new one. A refurb is unacceptable. When it comes back I'll sell it and keep the MPP.

The plan was to get an inspire 2 after I'd got the hang of taking very good videos with the MP. However, with the problems I've been having I will more than likely go elsewhere for a professional drone and camera.

I have a Karma and the footage straight from the gopro is awesome. I don't trust the drone itself as much as I do the MP. Looks like you can't have your cake and eat it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll