DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really need a tip to scare seagulls away

Philgib

Reactions
I am fighting with seagulls on every single shooting now and they are becoming more and more threatening.

- They could care less about an extra strobe.
- A speaker screaming like an eagle would mess up the compass because of its magnet.

Please help. Any tip welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90RAW
Thankfully I haven't experienced that problem , yet. Some members have mentioned putting skins on their drones to keep birds away. Hopefully they will add further info on the success of failure of the results

I am fighting with seagulls on every single shooting now and they are becoming more and more threatening.

- They could care less about an extra strobe.
- A speaker screaming like an eagle would mess up the compass because of its magnet.

Please help. Any tip welcome.
12 gauge?

I'm aware of the issue living on the coast. Height and distance from the he coast helps but I realize that isn't practical. In my experience they are worse during summer when they perhaps perceive the drone as a threat to their young.
I will be watching this thread ?

I have the following lipo tester, which is very loud indeed but very lightweight

I am going to give it a try but this is not going to be a stealth flight for the people nearby...

It would be so great to have an extra spare channel to only switch it on when needed ...

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewP
I won't surrender :)
Camouflage v1 as a quick fix with blue masking tape and red electric tape
Eyes on the top and at the back since they bomb-dive from up above or attack like eagles from the back..

If this does not work , camouflage v2, will have a light 6-foot long fiberglass kite spar across with 2 red plums on the tips to make it look bigger than a seagull :)

v1.jpg

Last edited:
Bird bombs on a string.

So... Blue color did not affect seagulls by anything
I have asked my wife to take her phone and play some eagle screeching sound from the phone speaker..

There was no more seagulls in the sky for 3 mn. Magic ! And as ss soon as we started packing, a few seagulls came to find out.

So playing eagle screeching at loud from a portable bluetooth speaker on the ground could be a solution if you fly only nearby.

That would work until seagulls decide to team up and attack.

But those screeching sounds really hurt your ears !

Next test : glue some red aluminium, shiny red christmas paper on the MM hull.

Last edited:
A holographic silver or gold skin may be worth a shot.
It's the stuff they hang in strips around orchards etc that move in the wind and scare off birds . . .

502915203_811x664.jpg

You might have to contact other drone skin / wrap companies to see if there are more on the market.

We need a bigger boa . . . ah, drone.

The wineries around Oz also use these for bird scaring, the older ones running acetylene gas.
If you aren't ready for it when nearby, they can give you a bit of a fright.
Acetylene gives a nice boom. My friends and I used to fill balloons with it by putting a bit of calcium carbide lamp powder and water in a coke bottle and the balloon over the top. Tie it off when filled and drop it over a candle. Our mom’s would come out yelling when we did it in our back yards.

Actually, OP could scare away gulls pretty cheaply using this same method!

• Haha
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Acetylene gives a nice boom. My friends and I used to fill balloons with it by putting a bit of calcium carbide lamp powder and water in a coke bottle and the balloon over the top. Tie it off when filled and drop it over a candle. Our mom’s would come out yelling when we did it in our back yards.

Actually, OP could scare away gulls pretty cheaply using this same method!

Wow, I never actually know what the old Calcium Carbide and water made !!
Just had a google and yeah ACETYLENE . . . cool !! :)

We had a couple of the old lamps under the house (or rather dad did) when we were kids, never used them, but often put the CC bits into a bottle, some water, seal it up and run !!
Not as dramatic as lighting it up but it would blow the bottles up nicely, ha ha.

Interestingly, CC was used up in north Queensland (where we grew up) for Banana plantations.
The gas would ripen the fruit somehow !!

Thinking back, it's amazing we survived all the things we got up to, making explosive devices from ammo (.303 and other, shotgun shells, cordite, primers (filed open very carefully), mates on farms with detonators and home made gelignite.
Town would have heard some nice big BOOMS sometimes ?

I can remember making .303 cartridge 'rockets', older stick cordite shells with a stick or two out the open primer end, put into slightly oversize pipe, light it up.
They would go off like a WWII V2 rocket through the air, white flume of smoke behind it !!
Did many, until one day one went off in the pipe (cartridge exploded) right next to my ear . . . yes I was holding it on my shoulder like a rocket launcher.

My ears were ringing for hours, and really lucky that pipe held out.

Now THAT would put the wind up the seagulls, a couple of V2's going their way, arm the drone @Philgib :D

So... Next steps... I am trying two covers. One is a redish-mirror-finish paper, the other one is some sort of strass... Should be quite shiny below the sun making the MM hopefully bigger...

Attachments

• 158136134835639663805220597795.jpg
    158136134835639663805220597795.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
So... Next steps... I am trying two covers. One is a redish-mirror-finish paper, the other one is some sort of strass... Should be quite shiny below the sun making the MM hopefully bigger...

These are adhesive vinyl you've found to test ?
Worth a go.
They might weigh a bit more than a wrap, yes ?

Even a thin wrap would push a mini over the 250g, so if travelling (and not having to worry about licence / rego in some places), it might have to be removed.

Will you use the best result to possible design and order a commercial wrap ?

I've never had a wrap, but have considered it.
The commercial wraps cover most of underneath of the M1P too, which is important for birds under the drone flying upwards to attack.

Does your home made one cover similar area on your Mini ?
Same area underneath, as this would be important.

I wonder if this sort of bright design / colour scheme might work ?

djimm-fireproof.jpg

Sorry, but I don’t think the covers wont help as they are smarter than that.

Maybe you can distract them by putting out safe to eat pet food pellets as bait a ways away from your flying area.

Reactions: Pilotti100
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots