DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reasonable Iceland drone rules

Paul0730

Reactions
i thought this to be a practical approach to drone rules. Much more practical than the US rules. Recognizes the low level most hobbits drones fly doesn’t conflict with aircraft. The distance from buildings seems a bit overkill to me. With regards to “Public Buildings” it depends on definition. Big difference between the loo in a public park and the Pentagon.

Attachments

• 485576A6-CE93-45C7-82C7-C60BDC8BAE71.jpeg
    485576A6-CE93-45C7-82C7-C60BDC8BAE71.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 87
Wow, hobbits are flying drones now? Are there any on MavicPilots? I think we needs a Hobbits group under the "pilot check-in" thread.

Reactions: RC5728 and Pedro
i thought this to be a practical approach to drone rules. Much more practical than the US rules. Recognizes the low level most hobbits drones fly doesn’t conflict with aircraft. The distance from buildings seems a bit overkill to me. With regards to “Public Buildings” it depends on definition. Big difference between the loo in a public park and the Pentagon.

Blimey, since when did JRR Tolkien know about drones.. :D

In all seriousness, thanks for posting that up. Iceland is an awesome place to fly at if you're lucky with the weather which we were last March.. So much to see, so many places to visit, every turn of the road opens up another vista that you just want to stop and fly at or photograph, the place in incredible..

Wow, hobbits are flying drones now? Are there any on MavicPilots? I think we needs a Hobbits group under the "pilot check-in" thread.
The proper spelling is, "Hobbits's", as per Gollum. And I'm thinking that the sub-forum would be called, The Shire. I would love to see some Mavic footage of Middle Earth. That said... Those are some fairly reasonable drone rules.

Pedro: Yes. Have photographed there, but not with a drone. Will likely return with my Mavic Pro one day. So many cool spots to photograph with a drone. Sometimes seems like these less densely populated places take a more reasonable regulatory approach about many things, compared with USA.

OTH, I’d want to be very careful trying not to spoil that unspoiled, solitary experience of other visitors.

Thanks for posting your video. Inspires me to go back sooner!

Pedro: Yes. Have photographed there, but not with a drone. Will likely return with my Mavic Pro one day.

OTH, I’d want to be very careful trying not to spoil that unspoiled, solitary experience of other visitors.

You won't regret it. Most of the main sights were pretty packed when we went so there wasn't a lot of solitude about and since then, they have banned flying altogether at certain places such as Skogafoss but I still reckon you could still get some amazing footage outside the immediate area, high and far.. I'll be back there again one day.

In all seriousness, thanks for posting that up. Iceland is an awesome place to fly at if you're lucky with the weather which we were last March.. So much to see, so many places to visit, every turn of the road opens up another vista that you just want to stop and fly at or photograph, the place in incredible..
It’s literally my dream to go to Iceland since I was a kid on Baffin Island . To bring my quad there would be a big check on the bucket list!

I really hope Canada adopts similar rules. As of now hobby flyers are staring down the barrel of 100000 dollar liability insurance being mandatory ...among other insanities. The right way and the Canadian way

You are also not allowed to fly at many of the popular sites (or the National Parks I believe). Does anyone know what the exclusion zone is for the sites? Even at a distance I'd love to take some video of the some of the waterfalls.

I believe you would be allowed to fly if you'd ask the staff before taking of. At least that worked for me at Þingvellir national park. I live in iceland.
You are also not allowed to fly at many of the popular sites (or the National Parks I believe). Does anyone know what the exclusion zone is for the sites? Even at a distance I'd love to take some video of the some of the waterfalls.

Reactions: SeanDW
Thanks for your response. For the waterfall type of sites, are there obvious staff present? I'm going to be there in April - somewhat in off season - I'm thinking that might factor into things.

I believe you would be allowed to fly if you'd ask the staff before taking of. At least that worked for me at Þingvellir national park. I live in iceland.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929