DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommend Autonomous Flight App

changkh

Reactions
Would like to know if there is any iOS app that allows me to do the following.

I know there are some apps like Litchi but I have not tried any of them before but I see some like DroneDeploy may have what I want.

1. Plan my flight in a polygon or grid.
2. Drone can record video while flying. I know some apps are meant for taking photos and stitch them together for mapping purpose but for me is just taking aerial videos.
3. Return to home when mission completed or battery falls to a predefined percentage, whichever comes first.
4. Drone can continue mission despite losing connection with controller but can fulfill point 3 above.

Lichi
DroneDeploy
Pix4D Capture
DJI Pilot - not iOS, smart controller only
DJI Terra - not iOS, smart controller only

DroneDeploy and Pix4d offer free versions. Lichi i think is a small fee to purchase the app. I dont know much about it as i don't use it, but i think many members here do.
DroneDeploy is great, i use it a lot, but it doesn't support most the consumer DJI drones. Mavic 2 Pro, and most of the enterprise line is supported.
Pix4d - i've used this a few times, it seems to work well.
DJI pilot is for enterprise DJI drones, as well as DJI Terra, but terra is cost prohibitive for most consumers.

a lot depends on the drone you intend to use as all these support different drones. I'm sure there are others out there but these are I think the big players.

For your point 4 above - i am pretty sure you need an enterprise drone or the M2P for this feature, but i could be wrong.

2. Drone can record video while flying. I know some apps are meant for taking photos and stitch them together for mapping purpose but for me is just taking aerial videos.
You want Litchi.
Mapping apps like DroneDeploy or Pix4D are for mapping only, not for what you want.

As far as #4 goes, you're probably SOL unless you have a Mavic 2. I don't believe that anything that runs the DJI Fly app can do that any longer.

Reactions: Aairon
thanks for all the replies. i read these apps run standalone and it's even recommended to close DJI Fly app in the background.

i am using a mod DJI Fly app to fly FCC so if the above is true, using whatever third-party app to fly will result in going back to CE mode?

What model are you flying? Those aftermarket control programs won’t work on a Mavic 3’s and some other new models except for the enterprise versions . They work very well for earlier models.

As recommended by others above, the newest updates to Litchi have grids as well. I really like the app- especially when used with Namirda’s VLM app. Using his app for Litchi lets you plan, and simulate your flights and shots on Google Earth first (a great way to check if your waypoints are good and your flight plan is safe) and then go fly it real time.

$25 out the door vs. Drone Deploy’s subscription fees? If you are just starting out- it’s worth it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS