DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendation for Video Editing Software or App?

plee

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

Would anyone recommend a software or app that they personally have used to edit, add text and music to their flight videos? And what do you like about it? I am not really a computer literate person so a program that is user friendly would be most helpful. Thanks ..

Happy Flying,

Perry

Reactions: Nafnonac
Hi Perry, I am a Mac user so I just use iMovie to make my videos. Started with this when I had my Phantom 3A and stuck with it with the Mavic. I find it easy to use and very intuitive. My main hobby is photography and I use Adobe Lr and Ps for stills but never explored any functionality from Adobe for video. Previous to drones I used a Pinnacle Studio for video work but found it to be a bit clunky but that was several years ago. Good luck trying a few packages and finding the one that works for you. I have added a link to my Youtube channel where you will see some videos I have made with iMovie, I am an amateur so I am not holding these up as oscar winners or even good examples, they are what they are my videos nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.L. and plee
Hi Perry, I am a Mac user so I just use iMovie to make my videos. Started with this when I had my Phantom 3A and stuck with it with the Mavic. I find it easy to use and very intuitive. My main hobby is photography and I use Adobe Lr and Ps for stills but never explored any functionality from Adobe for video. Previous to drones I used a Pinnacle Studio for video work but found it to be a bit clunky but that was several years ago. Good luck trying a few packages and finding the one that works for you. I have added a link to my Youtube channel where you will see some videos I have made with iMovie, I am an amateur so I am not holding these up as oscar winners or even good examples, they are what they are my videos nothing more.

Hi William,

Thank you for your reply. I have always considered getting an IMAC as I have used Apple products in the pass but currently I am using a PC simply due to ease of expanding and flexibility but I do remember the ease of the Apple products. I saw several of your videos: Castle Stalker, My Movie 1 and Firth. Very nice areas and I always love castles with nice choice of accompanying music. Are these locations in Ireland? I'm hoping to get a few more responses before jumping into a particular software. I do remember seeing Pinnacle Studio but have never used it. Again, thanks for your input and keep making those videos, very nice .. :)

Thanks for you kind comments, I jumped from PC to Apple a number of year ago. It was a difficult choice as prior to that I used to build my own PCs to ensure I always got the exact spec I wanted, with Apple I don't tinker anymore as it all just works. The locations of the videos are Scotland. Other users will be sling just shortly to offer more and better advice.

Reactions: plee
I use quik and splice apps from GoPro. They can automate a lot of difficult parts and come up with class clips with music.

I use quik and splice apps from GoPro. They can automate a lot of difficult parts and come up with class clips with music.

Hi m0nk3y,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into it.

All the best, Perry

If you're using a version of Windows that comes with Windows Movie Maker, that would be an application to check out (since it's very simple & easy to use). Otherwise, check out my list of commonly used video editors here.

If you're using a version of Windows that comes with Windows Movie Maker, that would be an application to check out (since it's very simple & easy to use). Otherwise, check out my list of commonly used video editors here.

Awesome resource, everything in one place, very impressive.

Hi Msinger,

Unfortunately my Windows does not come with the Window Movie Maker but thanks very much for your link and list of resources. Great stuff for a newbie like me. Got a lot of reading to do before sending it up on it's maiden voyage. Just want to make sure I am familiar with all the controls and such as to avoid sending it on a nose dive .. hahaha. I'll look at your stuff.

Thanks again,

Perry

Hi Msinger,

WOW, I just looked at the list of the video editors and there are many to chose from. Are you familiar with many of them and would you be able to perhaps recommend your top three? And I gather that the "free" programs are not as good as the "paid" ones. If you truly recommend Window Movie Maker as you mention it's simple and easy to use .. which would be perfect for me .. I'll look into that also.

Thanks again,

Perry

I haven't tried most of them. I usually use Adobe Premiere Pro. The learning curve is pretty steep though.

Reactions: Sterling and plee
I used windows movie maker but found it a bit too limited for even basic editing. It is available for free though that is nice. Make sure you download it from microsoft site though, as there is a fake version around that screws up your pc big time. After that, I switched to Adobe Premiere Elements, as you can buy it for €80,- Not cheap, but at least not a monthly fee like the pro version... It works quite well, even for a novice, bit you will have to accept that video editing will never be really easy, so you'll always have to invest some time in getring the hang of it.

Their are many big boys on the market but they also come with high cost and a very high learning curve and some can take a long long time to get your head around as they so complicated, they also require a lot of PC resources and only late model or modern PCs can run them.
One program I find that is able to do a good job, has all the trimmings and is able to play with the big boys by having most of the output conversion codecs and is super easy to use is FilmOra by Wondershare.
It has all the attributes of widows movie maker and more. You can cut, add titles and endings. Slow and fast forward sections. Add in stills. Reverse movie and much more. And export to many formats and places.
Fimora by wondershare.

I used windows movie maker but found it a bit too limited for even basic editing. It is available for free though that is nice. Make sure you download it from microsoft site though, as there is a fake version around that screws up your pc big time. After that, I switched to Adobe Premiere Elements, as you can buy it for €80,- Not cheap, but at least not a monthly fee like the pro version... It works quite well, even for a novice, bit you will have to accept that video editing will never be really easy, so you'll always have to invest some time in getring the hang of it.

Hi JoostGT3,

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. Always good to know where to get the program from. I'll get it, as you suggested from Microsoft and check it out as I have never used a video editing program before perhaps just to get started. I have heard of the Adobe Premiere Elements but am afraid, at least at this point, it's way over my head. I don't mind paying the price if it's one that many people like and is somewhat user friendly.

Thanks again Joost,

Perry

Reactions: JoostGT3
Their are many big boys on the market but they also come with high cost and a very high learning curve and some can take a long long time to get your head around as they so complicated, they also require a lot of PC resources and only late model or modern PCs can run them.
One program I find that is able to do a good job, has all the trimmings and is able to play with the big boys by having most of the output conversion codecs and is super easy to use is FilmOra by Wondershare.
It has all the attributes of widows movie maker and more. You can cut, add titles and endings. Slow and fast forward sections. Add in stills. Reverse movie and much more. And export to many formats and places.
Fimora by wondershare.

Hi Dragonfly,

Thanks for giving me some tips. Yes, one of our fellow members above had a link to WIndows Movie Maker which actually referred me to Fimora. I have that bookmarked that program and will check that out. I am too much of a novice to check out any programs used by the big boys .. I would need something nice and simple to tinker with and to learn the baby steps. I will check out that program. Thanks for the referral Dragonfly.

Perry

Lumafusion on IOS is great. And Videograde for editing and grading on the go

I agree with Darren6270, I have been using Lumafsion now for about two months and it is really good and the "help desk" is very quick in response. In Switzerland it's about CHF 20 and in my opinion well worth it.

Reactions: plee and darren6270
I am a Windows user but find that iMovie on my iPad is excellent for editing ands producing videos. It is not entirely intuitive but with a little practice it is very useful and means that videos can be edited and produced on the hoof and even dropped onto my website.

I'm a professional I use Premiere Pro. I will say that I use it now because I have been using it for 14 years. I'm sure there are better options but for me I can do everything I want in Premiere quick stuff for friends and family or productions for clients. My question to you would be what will you be using to edit. MAC, Windows, Tablet or mobile. That is probably the biggest question. I use Windows and have a lightening fast laptop and a purpose built editing desktop which is why I can cut through 4k footage like butter. If you don't have a quick editing solution keep it simple.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11