DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended IPAD for Mavic Air?

Ztopgun28

Reactions
So I have a Verizon Samsung S10+ with a Snapdragon 855 processor with Android version 10. It does NOT have the exynos. I heard exynos may cause problems. I also have a 10.1 Samsung 3GB RAM 128 GB Tab A '2019 model (T510) but does have exynos, with Android version 9. I didnt see either one on the DJI compatability list, and a DJI tech told me these arent on the list too, but I read that some people have no issues with these. If in case these both dont work with my Mavic Air I'm getting very soon, which IPADS work well? I heard DJI is more IPAD user friendly if I want to use a tablet for my drone. Im not looking for the most expensive IPAD, but what I need to get by but with still good performance. Im new to Apple and this would be my first apple product. And would I download DJI fly app or DJI Go 4 app? Thanks.

Last edited:
I just got an iPad mini 5. It’s perfect. Easy to carry around, great screen, good battery.

The down side of a tablet like the iPad mini is the screen brightness. I love the screen size, but unless I have shade, it's almost useless. I much prefer my Galaxy S8. Screen is smaller, but considerably brighter.

Reactions: Ztopgun28
I use the iPad 10.2 (2019) version that is on sale a lot and I love the size, weight, and usability for things other than drones.

You use this one right?
Yes that one. I also use the same app as you just a different drone. The mavic 2 pro. It works flawlessly with the app so far. No complaints at all and it's been more stable then my pixel 3 which was pretty darn stable.

I also added a garmin Bluetooth GPS because I had Amazon points to spend. It keeps my location on the map accurate so I can set my RTH poiny at the remote's location if I moved in the field. It's not required to fly but a nice piece of mind for me lol.

Yes that one. I also use the same app as you just a different drone. The mavic 2 pro. It works flawlessly with the app so far. No complaints at all and it's been more stable then my pixel 3 which was pretty darn stable.

I also added a garmin Bluetooth GPS because I had Amazon points to spend. It keeps my location on the map accurate so I can set my RTH poiny at the remote's location if I moved in the field. It's not required to fly but a nice piece of mind for me lol.
Oh ok lol, awesome, thanks! Can you please send me the link to check that bluetooth GPS out?

This is it but you would probably be better buying the 10.2 32gb cellular model if you can find it on sale and not putting a sim in it. One less thing to keep track of charging and what not. I had already purchased the iPad when I got the amazon points to spend so having the two pieces was just more convenient than sending the iPad back and spending more on the cellular model which wasn't on sale at the time I got stuff. Just the direction I went. Also, make sure to check places outside amazon like BestBuy and B&H Photo/Video since they sometimes have different specials than whats on Amazon. Good luck.

Amazon.com: Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver 010-02184-01: GPS & Navigation

This is it but you would probably be better buying the 10.2 32gb cellular model if you can find it on sale and not putting a sim in it. One less thing to keep track of charging and what not. I had already purchased the iPad when I got the amazon points to spend so having the two pieces was just more convenient than sending the iPad back and spending more on the cellular model which wasn't on sale at the time I got stuff. Just the direction I went. Also, make sure to check places outside amazon like BestBuy and B&H Photo/Video since they sometimes have different specials than whats on Amazon. Good luck.

Ok right on, thanks! Actually I was thinking of tethering my s10+ to the ipad for internet to use my mavic air. That should all work right? And is it possible to switch from using the iPad to my android cell phone time to time to use the drone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hegemone
Yup and yup. You can log into go 4 from any number of devices.

If I end up getting the iPad WI fi version and not the cellular version can i buy that GPS device you showed me on Amazon and then I'll be good to go gps wise?

It's not a requirement to fly. The drone has its own gps. The Garmin just gives the remote a gps signal for updating the remotes position on the flying map so return to home at remotes position works if you move while flying. I am not positive but teatheting to a hotspot like your phone will also give the remote a GPS signal. I don't teather unless I need to download a map so I use the Garmin. I have not tested the teathering.

It's not a requirement to fly. The drone has its own gps. The Garmin just gives the remote a gps signal for updating the remotes position on the flying map so return to home at remotes position works if you move while flying. I am not positive but teatheting to a hotspot like your phone will also give the remote a GPS signal. I don't teather unless I need to download a map so I use the Garmin. I have not tested the teathering.
Ok cool, thx. Ya I was thinking of getting that gps device for more accuracy if I move . I read we don't technically need internet to fly?! I can use the Garmin without internet ?

Last edited:
Correct, the Garmin is a stand-alone GPS receiver, no internet required just a Bluetooth connection to what you want to send the GPS signal to. :)

I was just mentioning that if you were perhaps tethering then a GPS signal typically gets to the remote and might be redundant with the Garmin.

Correct, the Garmin is a stand-alone GPS receiver, no internet required just a Bluetooth connection to what you want to send the GPS signal to. :)

I was just mentioning that if you were perhaps tethering then a GPS signal typically gets to the remote and might be redundant with the Garmin.
oh ic, gotcha, thanks! :)

Just curious, let's say I use my phone or cellular ipad with their GPS, will I get even more better GPS accuracy with that Garmin if I still use it in additon? Or would it not help since my phone or iPad would have GPS already?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent