DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recording a manual flight to repeat it exactly later?

Lady Rover

Reactions
Hi,

is there an Android app which allows you to record a flight which you steered manually in a way that you can do exactly the same flight later again automatically?

I'd need that for the Mavic Air.

Can Litchi do that?

Thanks,

Franziska

I dont know if a dedicated app exists, but you can use the waypoint mode on dji go4 or litchi (you'll have more options to make your flight smoother on litchi) .
I did that one time, it worked pretty well but it was a simple flight plan, like a straight line climbing, then a turn and come back with a straight line descending.
You only need to fly your flight, storing a waypoint on each altitude/direction change and fly it again later, after having edited (if you need) the waypoints with litchi or djigo...
Hope that helps ;)

Thanks Jason,

I am actually hoping to repeat a flight with smooth pans and the likes. So simple way points are not enough.
As its on a property with many trees its not really a flight path which lends itself to bering pre planned in Litchi.
That's why actually flight recording and replay would be perfect.

There is a lot of interesting things one could with that!

Actually I am after recording a flight path while I am flying manually and repeating it later automatically.
I'm not after planning the flight path before the flight.

Is that possible in Litchi?

Actually I am after recording a flight path while I am flying manually and repeating it later automatically.
I'm not after planning the flight path before the flight.

Is that possible in Litchi?
Thanks for the tip! Will try it, seems to be an intersting app... ;)

As its on a property with many trees its not really a flight path which lends itself to bering pre planned in Litchi.
Remember that the GPS reception has some error to it. The spot on the ground that the Mavic thought today was latitude 43.878877, longitude -103.459036, may be 20-30 feet off to one side tomorrow. Which could put you into a tree or other object, if you're flying in tight quarters. The amount of error will depend on how well the Mavic can see the satellites at any given time. Trees, mountains, buildings, and even clouds will affect the signal coming to the GPS receiver.

Reactions: drone_video
Remember that the GPS reception has some error to it. The spot on the ground that the Mavic thought today was latitude 43.878877, longitude -103.459036, may be 20-30 feet off to one side tomorrow. Which could put you into a tree or other object, if you're flying in tight quarters. The amount of error will depend on how well the Mavic can see the satellites at any given time. Trees, mountains, buildings, and even clouds will affect the signal coming to the GPS receiver.

This is good caution.
Also the difference in wind speed will effect a recall of a planned mission. Less so in in waypoint modes as the drone will make efforts to correct it, but I am not sure if in the OP use case of playing back his manuals stick inputs will compensate for the wind.

As such my advice is to simply consider the wind and confirm how the playback of manually flight interacts with the wind variable on top of what has already been brought up.

Reactions: okw
I cant find drone harmony in app store, while I can find it on Google play...
DH isn't available for apple devices ? Or maybe the name changes?

Jason, go on their website and write them an email. Would be very surprised if they have no Apple version.

Apart from that, will only fly automatically without wind.
GPS errors are surely a risk. But as far as I know the drones use Glonass in parallel. So should be pretty precise...

So if GPS does not work properly it should automatically switch over to GLONASS, shouldn't it?
Would not make sense to switch only over if one is not available at all, no?

It switches to what has the best number of satellites available. It might have a priority over GPS though.

Even if it was using both systems together, it still wouldn't be perfect. It would be better, but not perfect. Some error will always exist. It just depends on the level of accuracy that is required in your application.

Jason, go on their website and write them an email. Would be very surprised if they have no Apple version.

GPS errors are surely a risk. But as far as I know the drones use Glonass in parallel. So should be pretty precise...
Drone Harmony is only available for Android.

OK, thank you for the advice! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom