DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recording GPS location of an underground cable.

plasticbaldy

Reactions
I need to be able to film some electrical cable trenches that are visible now in paddocks (farmer’s fields) but will overgrow so that later we will know exactly where they are. GPS might be the best means of locating them later.
How do I accurately record GPS or other usable locations preferably on photos with my MA please ?
I’m not too tech savvy so please explain in simple terms without much jargon.

How do I accurately record GPS or other usable locations preferably on photos with my MA please ?
Following could be done:
a) fly above the cable and capture images while the camera is pointing down.
Each photo has GPS coordinates embedded in the EXIF part of each photo.
Examine each taken photo with tools such as EXIFTOOL to retrieve the GPS coordinates.

b) fly above the cable and record a movie with camera pointing down.
Make sure that in the Video properties 'Video Caption' is ON. (This creates a .SRT file along the .MP4)
After you transferred the .MP4 and .SRT to your PC/Mac you can view the video with VLC on your monitor.
The coordinates (Lat/Lon) are displayed as subtitles in the video).

Following could be done:
Examine each taken photo with tools such as EXIFTOOL to retrieve the GPS coordinates.

Make sure that in the Video properties 'Video Caption' is ON. (This creates a .SRT file along the .MP4)
After you transferred the .MP4 and .SRT to your PC/Mac you can view the video with VLC on your monitor.

That's what I thought initially, but the OP has a Mavic Air, which does not record GPS coordinates on the SRT file. he would have to go for the full flight log, which takes some additional steps

Following could be done:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s