DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recording on screen flight data with video

newby Droner

Reactions
After my first flight I watched the video which included the real time flight data on position, altitude, etc. I liked that because it gave me an idea of safe altitude above trees etc. After downloading, I don’t get those stats on the video anymore. Any idea how to do that?
How to replay the video with the real time stats displayed at the bottom.

Do a screen recording.
welcome to the forum. ?

Reactions: Thomas B
Do a screen recording.
welcome to the forum. ?
Thank you. I can try that but it’s just that I seen the data on screen after viewing the video the first time and can’t figure out how to do it again. As a first time flyer in my area it helped me see how I could have adjusted my altitude settings without sending it up 100 meters to RTH ...lol. I could see a mistake on the control sending the drone up to 100 meters before I realized that it wasn’t the forward button ...lol.

There may be an option in the camera menu referring to subtitles, if so switch it on and the drone likely will create an srt file if it is recording video. That srt file can be played in conjunction with the video file and puts telemetry on the screen. I recollect that someone, in here, said, in a similar thread, that some drones embed the telemetry in the video file itself.
Alternatively, and they are quite useful , a screen capture app such as Xrecorder can record a video of the screen, the drawback is they do eat into the storage space on the screen device.

There may be an option in the camera menu referring to subtitles, if so switch it on and the drone likely will create an srt file if it is recording video. That srt file can be played in conjunction with the video file and puts telemetry on the screen. I recollect that someone, in here, said, in a similar thread, that some drones embed the telemetry in the video file itself.
Alternatively, and they are quite useful , a screen capture app such as Xrecorder can record a video of the screen, the drawback is they do eat into the storage space on the screen device.
Very interesting answer. I just have to figure out how to play the srt file in conjunction with the video. As a beginner it is educational to look back at set parameters, and how the aircraft was controlled to improve the footage. I did a short test flight with subtitles on but didn’t work. I also turned on RAW recording in case imbedded in that some how.
I did something right but not sure what it was ....lol.

What are you flying with in the controller? if you have a iphone just use screen recording this way you also get any break up you might be seeing which would not be present on the drone dvr. I think latest version of android also has it now, i had been using az screen recorder for my s20 before latest version of android as well and liked it. Subs are fine but for what your doing in trying to learn i always like the overlay of the way it looks while flying too.. plus subs dont capture warnings etc....

Example of me using AZ in the past just flying around.

Reactions: newby Droner
It isn't difficult, in fact it may be automatic.
To be honest it was 'so easy' I don't remember how I did it but if Windows native player didn't play them then I would have used VLC and "added" a subtitle, the srt file being the subtitles.
One thing though, I am left with the impression that if the video file and srt file are moved separately from one another the/a 'link' between them is broken. Thinking about that, it makes no difference to using VLC so it maybe that the Windows player will play the 'subtitles' automatically providing the 'link' is intact but if the link was broken I then switched to VLC

Reactions: newby Droner
What are you flying with in the controller? if you have a iphone just use screen recording this way you also get any break up you might be seeing which would not be present on the drone dvr. I think latest version of android also has it now, i had been using az screen recorder for my s20 before latest version of android as well and liked it. Subs are fine but for what your doing in trying to learn i always like the overlay of the way it looks while flying too.. plus subs dont capture warnings etc....

Example of me using AZ in the past just flying around.

Looks good. I’ll try using the recorder on my S10 and see how that works but I’d really like to know what I did to get that first video, before downloading, with all that imbedded in the video without onscreen recording. I saw my mistakes recorded and took note of the altitude adjustments when I corrected it, and what it did when I hit the RTH button. I am still testing it to understand it’s accuracy when returning home to a tree lined back yard.
I love this thing too much to crash it ...lol.

To be honest it was 'so easy' I don't remember how I did it but if Windows native player didn't play them then I would have used VLC and "added" a subtitle, the srt file being the subtitles.
One thing though, I am left with the impression that if the video file and srt file are moved separately from one another the/a 'link' between them is broken. Thinking about that, it makes no difference to using VLC so it maybe that the Windows player will play the 'subtitles' automatically providing the 'link' is intact but if the link was broken I then switched to VLC
I’ll try that using a windows player. I might have somehow invoked it without realizing no longer using the fly app. Thanks for your comment.

When I did it, I just hit a play button immediately after it had landed and that’s what I got, the video with flight data imbedded. Never seen it again ...lol. ....yet.

Ah I don't think I have ever the video of a flight on the phone, the srt's I have seen are on the drone's memory card and might not play in sync with cached videos. On the other hand the screen capture videos certainly play with telemetry on either the phone or a pc.

After my first flight I watched the video which included the real time flight data on position, altitude, etc. I liked that because it gave me an idea of safe altitude above trees etc. After downloading, I don’t get those stats on the video anymore. Any idea how to do that?
How to replay the video with the real time stats displayed at the bottom.
Thank you all for your comments. I figured it out. If I watch the videos through the fly app in albums, both to the app downloads and on the drone memory card. I don’t get the flight stats.
if I watch the downloaded version in my video gallery while disconnected from everything, the flight info appears below the video and not imbedded in it as I remember ....that’s great.

If it GOs, it's SRT.
If it FLYs, it's an embedded subtitle stream/channel.

Windows Media Player doesn't support SRT, but VLC and Movies & TV do.

Getting the embedded subtitle to display was tricky. I don't think it has a standard label.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest