DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recording on zoom

Macearcher

Reactions
Every time I am recording on my zoom with the smart controller the video stops at 5 min and 1 second and the app stops. It comes right back up when I tap the screen and continues as normal but I don’t know why this keeps happening. Am I missing some setting that is causing this or anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?? Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

So I don't have a smart controller but I know that the file size that get recorded to the SD card gets cut into segments that average about 5 mins depending on what size you are recording in. Are you sure that you are recording to the SD card and not the onboard storage?

So I don't have a smart controller but I know that the file size that get recorded to the SD card gets cut into segments that average about 5 mins depending on what size you are recording in. Are you sure that you are recording to the SD card and not the onboard storage?
Yes, it happened to me the other day and I was gong to look and see if there were any settings that might cause it but couldn't find any. I just pulled the sd card and loaded it on my computer and the last three videos were exactly 5 min and 1 second long. It must be limiting the file lengths due to the recording settings that I had on. I don't even remember what they were but I will. try messing with them to see if that changes things.

It will cut all of your files to that size but it shouldn't require you to restart the recording. It should just seamlessly start recording onto another file. You just have to put the files back together in a video editing program. For instance, if you just hit record at the beginning of your flight and let it run the whole battery, you should end up with about 11 gigs of flight recording split up into 5 min sections.

It will cut all of your files to that size but it shouldn't require you to restart the recording. It should just seamlessly start recording onto another file. You just have to put the files back together in a video editing program. For instance, if you just hit record at the beginning of your flight and let it run the whole battery, you should end up with about 11 gigs of flight recording split up into 5 min sections.
It kept recording and flying normal but every time it hit that point the screen would go to the go app screen and scare the crap out of me. Is it supposed to do that?

If you look at the file-size rather than the recording duration, I think that you'll find each file is 4GB in size. This is something that happens due to the way that the SD card works. You should be able to join the files seamlessly in your video editor. In a way, it's a good thing, because if you get a file corruption, it will be restricted to part of your recording, rather than all of it!
This shouldn't be visible on the SC screen though. I'm not familiar with the SC - but do you have a setting that makes sure you are recording to the SD card in the Mavic - rather than the SD card in the SC???

The problem is not the SD card. It is the format of the card applied when it is initialized. The FAT format, a Microsoft defines one, cannot record more than 4gB of data. DJI uses this format despite the formatting of the card in exFAT. As mentioned by others, these chunks can be joined in post.

The easiest way to work around the problem is to break up long takes so they don’t exceed the limit, by stopping and restarting the video takes. For cinematic purposes this works well, as it is extremely unlikely that a single take can run for more than 4 minutes without boring the viewer silly.

The problem is not the SD card. It is the format of the card applied when it is initialized. The FAT format, a Microsoft defines one, cannot record more than 4gB of data. DJI uses this format despite the formatting of the card in exFAT. As mentioned by others, these chunks can be joined in post.

The easiest way to work around the problem is to break up long takes so they don’t exceed the limit, by stopping and restarting the video takes. For cinematic purposes this works well, as it is extremely unlikely that a single take can run for more than 4 minutes without boring the viewer silly.
But you might want to crop and merge the files from the end of one segment to a crop of the beginning of the next... I do it commonly in post. I use my SanDisc card with factory formatting... just plug and use. Of course the files are split, but are continuous w/o missing frames.

If you look at the file-size rather than the recording duration, I think that you'll find each file is 4GB in size. This is something that happens due to the way that the SD card works. You should be able to join the files seamlessly in your video editor. In a way, it's a good thing, because if you get a file corruption, it will be restricted to part of your recording, rather than all of it!
This shouldn't be visible on the SC screen though. I'm not familiar with the SC - but do you have a setting that makes sure you are recording to the SD card in the Mavic - rather than the SD card in the SC???
Yes it is recording to the. And card on the zoom and not to the sc. I am just getting started with this stuff so I appreciate all the advice everyone has given, thAnk you all!!!! I will take shorter videos and see if the hiccups go away.

Yes it is recording to the. And card on the zoom and not to the sc. I am just getting started with this stuff so I appreciate all the advice everyone has given, thAnk you all!!!! I will take shorter videos and see if the hiccups go away.
SD card that is, **** auto correct!!!

It's not my style but can you see it better while flying?

Added this too so I won’t forget to remove the gimbal cover AGAIN!!!!
Yep, gotta do something . My answer was an opaque gimbal holder from PolarPro. Video is black if I leave it on. Plus it is padded and stops all gimbal movement, unlike OEM.
C9846489-CFA5-4F17-B5FE-2E8FE28732A1.jpeg

Yep, gotta do something . My answer was an opaque gimbal holder from PolarPro. Video is black if I leave it on. Plus it is padded and stops all gimbal movement, unlike OEM.
View attachment 98507
Yeah that’s the same one I got too. I was flying mine around once with the oem cover and I have powered it up once or twice with the new cover on and it doesn’t allow it to do its little pre-check thing. This way will make it a little hard to do that anymore.

Reactions: Thomas B
Too much? No way.
Having mine lost in the scrub for over a week before I could find it, I have subsequently applied the brightest DecoGirl thing that I saw, I would have had Pink spots with orange zigzags on a purple base if there was one there.
We spend money on our cars, houses, bikes, gardens and drones whatever, not always what we need to but also what we want to.
It may depend where you fly but for me high visibility is a must.

Reactions: Macearcher
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair